Collector Car Insurance

I just bought a 72 LT-1 Convertible and I'm trying to find insurance for it. Has anyone had any good or bad experiences with the various collector car
insurance companies out there?
Thanks,
Matt
72 LT-1 Conv 4-sp w/AC 97 Coupe Auto
On Thu, 1 Sep 2005 22:13:53 -0400, "Matt Surette"

===================I use American Collectors...have for many years, and the one and only claim I had was handled without any problems and to my satisfaction...
Just ask whichever company you go with every question you can think of as far as restrictions go.... Hargerty flately told me I was not covered IF I took one of the cars out for a "sunday" drive...they called that pleasure driving...WTF do they think I own the cars for...?
Bob G 64 72 76 79 & 95 Corvettes..... (even the 95 is covered by Am Collectors...even though it is too new )
I also have American Collectors. Just be sure you get 'Agreed Value' insurance. I pay $220 per year for $25 k. agreed value , comprehensive at no deductible/collisioan at no deductible, and 4000 miles per year driving max. . Must store Vette in a locked garage/barn and must have a different daily driver .

$25k? I thought you had a BB!!??

So does he. I'd say the value was not from an approved appraiser because it's to looks high.
--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51
'I pay $220 per year for $25 k. agreed value , comprehensive at no deductible/collisioan at no deductible, and 4000 miles per year
"$25k? I thought you had a BB!!??'
REPLY: I do. I need to get the insurance value raised to $35 k. From what i can tell, its worth $32 k. right now.

I knew $25K was low for any decent '70 B.B. If I may quote some good advice from you, "Just be sure you get 'Agreed Value' insurance." but on the proper value!!! ;-)
'I knew $25K was low for any decent '70 B.B. If I may quote some good advice from you, "Just be sure you get 'Agreed Value' insurance." but on the proper value!!! ;-)'
Reply: Sounds like good advice to me ! Will do !
Matt Surette wrote:

I have American Collectors for my '90 ZR1. I pay ~$300 a year for $30k worth of stated value. I'm limited to 4k miles a year (but I don't think they actually check unless it's a HUGE issue). No deductibles for comprehensive. It must be stored in a locked facility (i.e., garage, barn, etc.) and you must have a daily driver. Strictly a pleasure car. I suspect that if you total the car at the local grocery store parking lot while you are picking up beer on the way home from work on a Tuesday night they just might deny your claim... ;-)
TomC '90 ZR1
Matt Surette wrote:

I have American Collectors for my '72 and they have always been good to deal with although I've never had a claim.
Total insurance bill for all 5 cars you wouldn't believe but it is low. Multi car discount, decrepit age group, no accidents in the last 20 years and only one ticket over 140 (written for 118 to keep me out of jail). Internet folklore.
--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

well? how low is it ?
--
"Key"

'Key wrote:

Yea! How much?
More importantly, how much did the 118 in the 65 cost you?
Thinking of opening up the ZR1 just to see how fast it really goes in 5th gear. I think I've seen 100 as I was shifting from third to fourth... But things were happening so fast, everything was a blur. ;-)
TomC '90ZR1

$87 per year for the '72, stated value $11,000.
$887 + $335 cost and 8 points, driving school, no, it was not in a Corvette, 113 was my highest ticket in the '61, the only Corvette I've every got a ticket driving.
I saw the HUD read 182 one time in 5th, not sure about the tach but it looked like 5,500/5,600. Yes, I know, that's nuts even if it was on a controlled access road with no other cars in sight except the one in the rear view mirror, so save your self righteous breath.
We race tomorrow on a closed course, helps me stay sane on the highway.
--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler

Chopr wrote:

If you trailer it to shows, read all the policies and nail down which policy pays for damage should there be an accident while on the road.
PJ

Nobody has mentioned Hagerty insurance. That's the main one mentioned in Triumph forums (I have a '71 TR6 along with the '60 Corvette) and everyone there seems to be quite happy with them. I'm sure I'm overpaying with these cars on my traditional auto insurance with my daily driver, so I'm also looking to switch.