concerns before buying

Before I buy, I have some concerns that deal with the total cost of ownership as a daily driver. I haven't found any sites or replies yet that give numbers for typical costs of ownership but I'm still looking while asking here. Trying to avoid a lengthy post with details,

a) Does 65 cents/mile sound reasonable ( omitting assumptions but I don't think these will affect the cost more than 5 cents/mile) ?

b) Do you think the car is as reliable as a Honda Accord?

c) Is an extended warrantee worth the cost and if so, what is a fair cost from the dealer for "x" number of years?? I don't plan to do repairs and expect to own it hopefully 10 years minimum.

Appreciate the help here.

Reply to
Ken

TroY

You think that may change with the gas prices that have been going up?

Do you have a certain Honda Accord in mind that we can compare or are you just going to pick one at random?

They can be worth the money if you have problems.

I assume you are talking about buying a Corvette, but you have no other thoughts? Is this to be a new one, a coupe, a convertible, a well worn race machine, vintage, Big Block with drag gears, first year classic, or maybe a repossessed or recovered stolen machine? Where you live and drive it will make the cost change more than the 5 cents you're talking about.

Reply to
Dad

Probably not.

Reply to
larrybud2002

If you are splitting cents/per mile as a concern of buying a Vette, you just might not be Vette material........ Not that a Vette is anything unusual in the cost per mile category, just an off-the-wall concern for a Sports Car/Driving Enjoyment purchase.

No flame >Before I buy, I have some concerns that deal with the total cost of

Reply to
RicSeyler

================================== Honestly I have absolutely no clue.....I never have attempted to figure the actual cost per mile on any of my vehicles... Just say I do not want to know...

Instead I measure my overall satisfaction ... repairs are a minus, smiles are a plus...

Had to laugh on the Honda question... That is a car that is not often compared with a Corvette... But in general,.(.by the way I judge a car} the Honda may get a plus for repairs...but I kind of doubt a Honda would put too many smiles on my face..

Good luck... Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G.

Reply to
Bob I

Are you including depreciation in your analysis? It actually cost me no more to drive my C6 than it does my Toyota 4Runner. Insurance is about the same, gas mileage is slightly better on the Vette and, knock on wood, they've both been equally trouble free.

The cost of "general maintenance" is higher on a Vette. You must use synthetic oils, the air filters for the new Vette are $38.00 a piece and you need two! Tires, don't get me started. You'll be lucky to get 30K miles out of a set (and that's driving very conservatively) and then spend $1500 to replace them.

Nothing is as reliable as a Honda Accord, nothing. Also, absolutely nothing is as boring (my wife drives one, the appliance of automobiles but it never, ever, breaks, goes 100K+ on brake pads, 60K on tires and there cheap to replace, etc. etc.)

I would not have bought the C6 without an extended warranty. Not for the drive train, for all the electronics GM has insisted on adding. One minor glitch and you could be looking at several thousand dollars to trace and repair. My 5/75/250 plan was $1040.00 from the dealer and is the GM Major Guard plan (don't ever buy aftermarket warranties).

To answer your real question, get the car. You will never experience a driving sensation like the Vette for 50K, not even close. It is as torquey as a Ferarri, as fast as a 911 Turbo and as reliable as a Chevy Malibu and can be worked on just about anywhere. If you keep trying to justify the car as a family car, economical, whatever, you'll never get off the pot. Took me forty years to take the plunge, wish I had done it sooner but could no longer resist the C6. As the old cliche goes, you only live once and sometimes you just have to say screw it.

Reply to
Tom Howlin

Thanks Tom for the very helpful information. I like your style, you really tell it the way it is, especially in your closing remarks. I think you sold me on the car. Are you a Corvette saleman? If not, you should be .

Thanks again.

Reply to
Ken

Ken,

Try this forum for more information. There are a number of supporting dealers on that sight with pretty good pricing and availability. Also some great GM technical people including a couple from Bowling Green.

Tom Howlin

Are you serious? This may be one of times where if you you have to ask the question(s), you shouldn't be buying one!

Reply to
WayneC

According to my CPA, I can afford more than one paying cash. But I guess I'll believe you.

Reply to
Ken

Appreciate the help Tom once again.

Reply to
Ken

But will you wave...? THAT is the question.

Reply to
Zorin Inc.