Convertible top replacement - 92 Corvette

I am replacing the top on my 92. Can anyone help with some info.
I am having trouble removing what the instructions calls the "guide" on the front corners of the top. It is the small piece that seals against
the weatherstrip on side the windshield. I got the old top off without removing the guide, but I can't see any way to get the new top on with that piece still in place.
Also, the instructions say to remove the front weatherstripping on each side of the top. That weatherstripping is seated in a channel about a foot long. I got the weatherstrip out of the channel, but don't see that it helps me any. Maybe that channel has to come off in order to remove the guide. Can't figure how to remove the channel. Can you give any help?