Corvette Flyby at 198 mph ; skillful driver or completely nuts ? You decide.

Page 2 of 2
wrote:

Great story! That E-type was incredible. When I was in the Navy a fellow officer had one and we went out carousing. After women and drinks we headed back. He seemed to drive faster when he was bombed. Scared the hell out of me - I think! His was a light blue 65 or 66 - convertible. His family was quite wealthy. We were having a party at the executive officer's home and my friend came in his Jag - his ex- wife showed up later and they had a fight. Then they got in their cars and crashed into each other in the street until his Jag would go no more. It was an unforgettable sight!
I got out of the Navy and wanted one just like it, but they were about $6500 as I recall. I instead bought a 67 Corvette (about $4700) Elkhart Blue (light blue) convertible with two tops. One day I came over a hill and there was a line of cars stopped at a light. I braked pretty hard and stopped. In my rear view mirror I saw a full size Ford bearing down on me, pulled into the breakdown lane and floored it. The Ford crashed into the three cars that WERE ahead of me. I would have been toast!
I was Air Force.. Went through my Corvette phase with a 69 and then a 71.