corvette injectors

My 1989 corvette has stopped running. It has 50 psi fuel pressure at the fuel rail and has good spark. The injectors have good pulse. Previously the injectors quit due to water in the fuel. After much tapping on them got them to work and car ran fine. Now the car quit out the blue. Won't start unless you spray gas in tpi unit and then will run for a couple of seconds. Other than that the spark plugs are dry. I have the injectors out now. My question is how to test them and can they be tested.

Frank

Reply to
gearchangr

Hi Frank,

Yes. A bench check will give you flow rate and spray pattern. At this point, I'd think a go/no-go check would save a few bucks. When you get it running, you can sweat balance.

Several years ago a parts counter guy mentioned a "poor-mans flow check" that was in the Chevy Shop Manual. Didn't have a harness adapter connector, so decided mine were OK and never ran it.

IIRC, it involved, pumping up the rail pressure, letting it sit with the ignition off, pulsing a single injector and noting the drop in pressure, then repeating process for next injector. Don't recall how the pulse length was controlled.

Will see if I can find it in the shop manual. Send me a personal email with fax number. If no fax, I can try to scan it.

-- PJ

Reply to
PJ

Don't control it, just hit it with 12 volts. Don't leave it on, just touch and release. You can use a many different things to pressurize them, tried a garden sprayer once, not too good. Then tried a length of fuel line. Put one end on the injector inlet, filled it with solvent and put an air hose to the other end. I'm sure there are more ways but the fuel line worked for me. I used a small CB radio power supply to pulse the injector. All you need is about six volts. Any decent "cube" type supply for a cordless phone or video game should work.

BTW: I used Rislone and straight injector cleaner for solvents. Don't use carb cleaner, some of the injectors have a coating on the pintle that carb cleaner will dissolve.

Al

Reply to
Big Al