Corvette's word origin

A corvette is a small, light, fast warship. Name is diminutive of Latin 'corvus,' ship. Originally used by the French circa 1840's, I think, one size down from a frigate. In post-WW I / WW II era corvettes were brought back, similar to a light destroyer but a bit smaller and lighter than a destroyer escort - lightly armed, very fast, highly maneuverable, often used for antisubmarine warfare.

Reply to
Vandervecken

And isn't that much more satisfying than naming something a Quest, Odyssey, or Q45? I have to again praise Chrysler, this time with their name choices: Viper, Prowler, PT Cruiser, Magnum. Those names elicit an image that fits the car. What the hell is a Cobalt, Vibe, Alero, Solstice, Aveo or Hummer? Maybe we'd best leave that last one unanswered.

Whatever happened to the good names of yesteryear? Charger, Barracuda, Trans Am, Chevelle, GTO, Super Bee and da Judge. Hell, even the cars with numbers for names meant something cool- 442, for example.

BTW, saw a pristine looking AMX the other day. Damn, it looked good!

Here's waving to ya - \||||

Owen ___

'67BB & '72BB

-- not affiliated with JLA forum in any way -- alt.autos.corvette is original posting -- ___

Barking Rats

The man who named the Corvette was Myron Scott... Then Chevrolet's Chief photographer.

Corvette is a small fast warship.

Bob Sext> Anyone know?

Reply to
Bob I