Corvette SS

Ok group. I have heard of Camaro SS, Nova SS, Chevelle SS.....but Corvette SS?
My wife and I got into a minor spat, I told her there was no such thing as a
Covette SS. Humbled again by the Misses. I saw a link to a new Vette SS prototype that may sell for over 100K. Any C1s, C2s, C3s....etc ever known as Corvette SS????
gjt
Add pictures here
βœ–
Not as a model for sale to the public, only as a racing "prototype"
http://www.seriouswheels.com/cars/top-1957-Chevrolet-Corvette-SS.htm
gjt wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–

believe you are correct. I have never heard of a corvette ss until now.. http://blogs.edmunds.com/Straightline/2360
http://www.worldcarfans.com/6061010.001/spy-photos-chevrolet-corvette-ss
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId 8398
--
'Key
=====

Add pictures here
βœ–
wrote something wonderfully witty:

Well sort of never. GM designers created the original Super Sport in 1957 as a race and engineering toy and as a styling study. It is, so far, the only Corvette to be called an SS.
Right now there is a bunch of speculation about the special supercharged version C5 (code named "Blue Devil") for the 2009 model year that might for the first time put the SS badges on a production Corvette. They've been on everything else to include S-10 pickups.
The 6.2-liter V8 will be built at GM's Performance Center in Wixom, Michigan, with annual production numbers expected to be in the 1500 to 2000 range. Production on the Supercharged Corvette, also known as the Blue Devil, will start in the first quarter of 2008 (as a 2009 model). As for its exact name – well, we’re hearing everything from Corvette SS, to Z07, from Blue Devil to resurrecting the Stingray name!
See http://www.motortrend.com/future/spied_vehicles/112_0507_chevrolet_corvette_ss /
--

"Some try to tell me, thoughts they cannot defend,
Just what you want to be, you will be in the end." -- Moody Blues

I picked up a copy of /Corvette Fever/ when I traveled a in June...probably the July issue. It carried an article about the early mules. In July I saw another article claiming that there's a parts list that's validated for produceabiliy.
The implication is that someone has signed off on a marketing plan.
Not sure now but I think I read 7 liters rather than 6.2. OTOH, magazine writers always want to build circulation.
-- pj
Add pictures here
βœ–

Not sure why they would go back to building the C5 in 2009 for any reason, let alone for a blue devil or an SS. Not a bad thought though, still think it's a better machine, more on that later. Of course the site you cite is close to 2 years old an allot of things have happened in that time even at GM.

--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Supercharging a 6.2L (more metal between the cylinders than the 7.0L) is one thing but I've seen several articles on the possibility of a mid-engine Corvette, as late as last week -- http://www.autoblog.com/2007/08/22/mid-engine-c7-corvette-still-being-considered / I wonder if GM is just testing all this out to see what the response will be, so much of the Corvette's draw is due to it's racing heritage and it's been said they want to win the 24 Hours of Le Mans very badly, domestically only Ford has a win there and that's been 40 years ago...
Butcher '96 LT-4 CE
Add pictures here
βœ–
Butcher wrote:

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/08/22/mid-engine-c7-corvette-still-being-considered/

Looks like they slipped back in time a couple decades (the picture is the CERV III) A full on driving prototype. Impressive specs at link below.
http://www.supercars.net/cars/316.html
As for "Le Mans" and an overall win, that would require getting into building Le Mans Prototypes, and going head to head with Audi. (I don't see LMP2 as being capable of pulling off overall there with the current rules) And would that bring the Corvette any more prestige or recognition than the current "King of the Hill" status it enjoys in GT1?
Add pictures here
βœ–
wrote something wonderfully witty:

And for how many decades now have we heard about this supposed Mid-Engine Vette?
--

"Some try to tell me, thoughts they cannot defend,
Just what you want to be, you will be in the end." -- Moody Blues
βœ–
something wonderfully witty:

Spell checkers aren't all that great on typo's.

--

"Some try to tell me, thoughts they cannot defend,
Just what you want to be, you will be in the end." -- Moody Blues
βœ–
On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 17:41:35 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@cx568.net wrote something wonderfully witty:

Sometimes I wonder if they actually hurt sales. I was in the market for a new car when I first heard about the Challenger & Camaro being reborn. I decided to hold off & wait. It has been a pretty long wait no, and I'm sure either one of the companies would have loved to get my money about two years ago. Hell by the time they hit the streets I might not even like the production version or want it anymore.