Corvette ZR1 : Sold

Page 1 of 2
for 1M at the Barret Jackson show...
paying 10X msrp just for the right to claim the very first one off of the production line...that's steep!

That is stupid. Glad the money was given to Charity. Else the seller, GM, really did find a royal fool.

nothing "stupid about giving money to a good charity. also, GM will not get anything more than their price. GM just might be donating to the charity...
--
'Key
=====

First 90% of that went to United Way and is tax deductible AND that guy raised his own bid from 900k to an even 1 mill. That guy also bought the 003 Vin 1953 'vette for a million. Vin 001 will be a unique vehicle and the guy figures it was worth it.
Lawrence Lugar wrote:

Only thing is is that there is a big difference between the very first Corvette and this ZR1, the 3rd incarnation of that performance option.
Also, typical of GM, they are likely to produce a 2010 ZR1 with 660 HP rather than the 630hp of this 2009 car, effectively killing the value of this guys million dollar car.

He doesn't care. Why do you?
AJM '93 Ruby coupe, 6 sp (both tops)
Because I do not like GM. They are a second rate car company.

thats your opinion of GM. not everyones opinion...
--
'Key
=====

Since more Toyotas than GM vehicles are sold in the world, there are a lot of folks that agree with me.
GM seems to be able to only sell trucks and Corvettes and a few Cadillacs. The Corvettes and Cadillacs are only sold to those folks over 65 years of age.
Anything wrong with this picture?
Vito

I beg your pardon, I've owned Corvettes since I was 18 and am only 52 now.

Well you tell me, why don't 18 year olds drive new Corvettes. Because they can get cars just as fast for half the money (Mustang). GM has basically abandoned these kids.
The 'cool' factor of Corvettes has disappeared because only old farts drive them. Kids do not want to drive what old farts drive.
Same for Cadillac. Look at the GM on star commercial for Cadillac. Grandma is trapped in the car and can't get out. MY GAWD. GM marketing must be made ot TOTAL IDIOTS.
You being excepted when it comes to age and the Corvette.
Vito

I'm not sure you have it right on this. Kids today want the cars that were promoted in the movies they see, like in Fast & Furious. I was the same when we were growing up, the Corvette was the elusive vehicle of the movies and many kids wanted them and got them. My son loves my Corvettes, but when he went to get a new car, he chose a Subaru WRX turbo (235 hp and much lighter than a Corvette). And, these kids are spending well over what a Corvette costs on these cars. It's just a generational thing.

good reply, Charlie. about the generational thing. that's why all the buyers of classic American muscle cars, are guys who salivated over them in the 60s and 70s.
lol - that's why I'm absolutley in love with the Ferrari 308 (from the 80s)...partly because it was driven by the sexy blonde, Christy Brinkley, in the movie National Lampoons Vacation.
http://youtube.com/watch?v
Zp7vfyew8 and driven by James Woods in the movie Against All Odds
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ws1Pt5GCwhI
both early/mid 80s movies.
as far as tuner cars go, i hate 'em - they have no soul, character, genuineity...as the stock cars do.

Against all odds. Rachel Ward. Almost as pretty as the Ferrari. Great Movie.
Vito

This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------090208030301010307020808 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Uncle_vito wrote:

showing everybody how much of an asshole/idiot you are?
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.
The 'cool' factor of Corvettes has disappeared because only old farts drive them. Kids do not want to drive what old farts drive.
Same for Cadillac. Look at the GM on star commercial for Cadillac. Grandma is trapped in the car and can't get out. MY GAWD. GM marketing must be made ot TOTAL IDIOTS.
You being excepted when it comes to age and the Corvette.
Vito
If you hate GM that much then what are you doing here? You just like showing everybody how much of an asshole/idiot you are?
--
Andrew DeFaria
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.
Uncle_vito wrote:

for some 40 years now you cannot take your arthritic fingers away from this newsgroup nor Corvettes. Sad and pathetic! Sounds to me you're just an over the hill, washed up moron who likes to complain.
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com
When there's a will, I want to be in it.
: 7bit
Adtually I am 54 years old. I bought my midyear 15 years ago and it has almost tripled in value.
Reason I have not purchased a 2008 is for 3 reasons. 1) I will look 10 years older driving it. 2) It will lose 25% of its value when I leave the dealership 3) I see no elegant technology in the car. Just brute force cubic inches with pushrods and 2 valves/cylinder (like a Chevy Tahoe)
Vito
type="cite">Would you believe that I am a member of a Corvette club and have been so for 15 years. I own a mid year and AFAIAC GM quit building bitchen corvettes right about 1972. The C4, C5 and C6's are real yawners. GM is still controlled by the bean counters. Look at the interior of a C6 and tell me this is GM's best. They are still holding back. I will buy a Vette the day that GM goes balls out on the design like they did from 63-67.<BR></BLOCKQUOTE>I see. So you're an old fart who cannot get past the '60's! So instead, for some 40 years now you cannot take your arthritic fingers away from this newsgroup nor Corvettes. Sad and pathetic! Sounds to me you're just an over the hill, washed up moron who likes to complain.<BR> <DIV class=moz-signature>-- <BR><A href="http://defaria.com ">Andrew DeFaria</A><BR><SMALL><FONT color=#999999>When there's a will, I want to be in it.</FONT></SMALL> </DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
nothing of value in message ---snip----
well Vito, you go on and on like the little eveready bunny. its been nice to have a little humor around here but enough is enough. just go troll your boat down another stream.
no real need for you to reply, unless ya like pissing in the wind...
<plonk>
--
'Key
=====

probably because their trust funds have been limited :-)

My kids would love to drive mine, if I would let em.. My grandaughter want me to give it to her..

oh yea, if its on a comercial it must be real !
get a clue and join the real world...
this is my2 and I AM intitled to it..
--
'Key