Cover options

Living here in sunny Phoenix and approaching the summer I'm wondering what are some of the better options for covering my 2008? What I'm looking for is something simply and hopefully not too expensive but effective. Summers here are often in the 100's and 110's! I'm looking to keep the inside of the car cool primarily.

As I see it there are about 3 options. First is the windshield covers - we've all seen them - you put them up when you are leaving the car and they are propped up by the sun visors usually. Cheap and easy to do I think I should get one of these no matter what for those quick trips to say the grocery store when the other options seem a bit much...

The second kind I've seen seem to be compromise between the windshield screens and the full car cover in that they attempt to only cover the windshield, roof, back window and side windows. Seem like a good compromise in that they would stop the interior from heating up by the sun shinning through the side or read windows. Additionally I have a transparent top. Seems like this solution would keep the interior cooler. Cons: It's probably a little more time consuming/cumbersome to put on.

Full car cover. While these obviously cover the most and probably protect the most, I can't picture stopping at a grocery store, for instance, and going through the bother of pulling out and putting on one of these. Then again, it'd be good to get one of those to put on when I park my car for the full day while at work.

I just don't want to have to buy all of them!

Can anybody share their experiences with these types of car covers...

Reply to
Andrew DeFaria

i used a full car cover for a few years. i found that it wore off the clearcoat on all the spots that it rubbed on, and self destructed from sun rot in only a couple of years even though they were the most expensive ones for uv protection.

regards, charlie cave creek, az

[...]

charlie

Interesting to note. Looks like the second option seems like the best so far. I'm interested in hearing more comments though.

Reply to
Andrew DeFaria

I use to live in Phx AZ and my Vette suffered for it (clear coat, armrest cracking) but anyways I suggest that you get the side and back windows tinted (limo tint) then keep one of those windshield deflectors with you for quick trips in the store (silver side out). Get a good car cover not one of those cheap one's on ebay. always make sure you have a good wax job on it 2 reasons 1st helps protect the clear coat in the AZ sun 2nd protects the car from the car cover. I would only use the car cover in cases like this (going to the fair all day, going to AZ Mills mall for the day) but for quick trips the tint and the deflector will work just fine. One more thing is if you have remote start leave you A/C in the super cool position and as you are approaching the isle your car is on crank it up by the time you get to it and put your stuff in, It should be bearable to get in. P.S. the GM cars today with remote start have a built in security feature that protects you from somebody just jumping in your car and taking off.

JMO

Reply to
ZÿRiX

I haven't tried the second option, but it sounds like a good choice if all you want to do is keep the interior cool for short periods rather than protect the paint from harmful rays over long periods of sitting outdoors. As for full covers: Inexpensive covers won't last long in the AZ sun, my advice would be to buy a lightweight, thin reflective cover and just resign yourself to replacing it yearly. The best alternative at the other end of the scale is a Sunbrella cover, which will be long-lasting (at least 5 years or longer) but will set you back around $400... probably worth it if you really need a good sun-proof cover; it's a lighter canvas-like material but it isn't as compact as some covers when stowed. Another high-end possiblility is the very lightweight "Stormproof" material, which isn't quite as expensive, but I haven't tried one so I can't vouch for that material. To cut down on chafing, you need to buy a custom-fitted pattern, which means the "cheap" alternatives won't be so cheap. Full covers aren't all that difficult to use, just takes a minute to put 'em on and take 'em off.

I don't have a late model Vette, but I live in CA and have more cars than I can keep indoors, so I've owned a lot of car covers; Sunbrella is by far the best I've owned. Most covers are one of the composite Kimberly-Clark-type material (rather than fabric) that starts disintegrating after a year and can't be successfully washed (but I admit I do keep buying them because of price), or they are so light that the slightest breeze pulls them off the car, hence my recommendation for custom-fitted.

Andrew DeFaria wrote:

Reply to
WayneC

Good points. Let me say that while I'm currently living in Phoenix I'm a contractor. Chances that I will remain here after this year are probably pretty slim. So it's not like I'm planning on having to endure years and years of hot Phoenix summer sun. But you are right, option 2 will not protect my paint. Then again I haven't seen many older vettes with faded paint jobs.

Good point. I'll keep that in mind.

So far I'm thinking of getting option #2 with option #1 for day to day, quick stops and hope I'm not here in Phoenix for the 5 year lease.

Thanks for your input.

Reply to
Andrew DeFaria

Here's a bit more on the 'tent' type of suggestion vis-a-vis clearcoat intregrity:

The worst clearcoat damage I've ever incurred was on a black coupe that commuted a couple of times a week from San Diego to El Centro. (spending its days in a office parking lot in the low desert--sometimes warmer than Phoenix.) A custom painter cleaned up the clearcoat mess for $ 750.

OTOH I drove a white coupe with clearcoat between San Diego and Palm Desert on a regular basis, and regularly parked it in the sun with few paint issues.

So, if the car is dark and tends to soak up sunshine, you may cover the cost of a tent or reflective cover in less than a year.

Years ago, my favorite 'purveyor' of covers was /North Coast Tarpaulin Works/ and I bought a 'reflective' cover from them for a 911. They are no longer in business but some of those guys migrated over to Big Sky. (I've had no experience with BigSky but they came from good breeding.) You might give them a call and inquire what they suggest in the way of heat reflective covers for use in Phoenix.

<
>-- pj

Andrew DeFaria wrote:

and, real programmers don't use Assembler.

Reply to
Pete