Detailed 64 Corvette

I just detailed my 64 Corvette because my insurance agent will be by next week to photograph it and reappraise it.
Found a rat had been inside. It hung out inside, back behind the seats.
Even chewed up one of my orange 76 balls.
I had some rust pitting in spots on the exterior chrome. The pee for these rats is like concentrated sulphuric acid. Really 'eats' the chrome. Some spots on my engine air cleaner, too. Actually I bought that air cleaner cover 22 years ago when I first purchased the car. The car is almost 50 years old and has been in my possession since 1991. It is like your car almost needs a partial restoration every 20 years or so.
Put in a new battery. The one replaced was 6 years old and had been sitting most of the time with a Battery Tender Plus on it.
Put some Water Wetter ZDDP additive in the oil and air in the tires. Slight fuel leak in the accelerator pump of the Holly. Will have to attend to that some day.
Vito
"uncle_vito" wrote in message
[...]
Vito A memory! In 1965 I was stationed at Laredo AFB, TX, a pilot training base. A friend of mine -- we were both 1Lts-- bought sports cars. He bought a 64 Vette roadster 4spd and I bought a 64 XKE. If I had to do it over again, I would have bought a Vette. His car was reliable and did not overheat at the 3rd traffic light in the middle of Summer in Laredo. I would probably still have it today -- at least I would like to think so.

Tough call. I love the looks of the XKE, but like typical Jags, the reliability was an abomination.