Differences between 2005 & 2006?

Hello,

Other than the Z06 option, will there be any other differences between

2005 and 2006?

I'm a newbie looking to purchase my first Corvette. Right now I have on option for a good deal on a barely used 2005 convertible, but, living in a northern state where the Vette driving season is just about over, I'm thinking I may be better off just waiting to by a new 2006.

Just curious if there are any changes or improvements planned for 2006.

Quality improvements (fixes)? Features? Color options?

Thanks, JGB

Reply to
jagebe

Big news I've heard is transmission. Here's typical info:

You might print that info and contact a local dealer in the Minneapolis area to confirm/deny elements on this web page.

PJ

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
PJ

there always are some changes..

Reply to
'Key
05 was/is a very good car. 06 changes are few probably due to Z06 intro.

The auto trans is now a 6 speed with paddle shifters on the steering wheel. It is now an extra cost option where the 05 auto was $0.

The steering wheel is different, 3 spoke instead of 4.

There are chrome rings around the dash knobs, none in 05.

Chrome wheels are a new option.

New colors were released with late 05 build, Velocity Yellow to replace Millenium Yellow, Monterey Red to replace Magnetic Red. Titanium convertible top is new.

Only reliability fix is not having to put the 6 speed manual trans in reverse before car shuts off completely.

There may be more but there are no big changes. Looks like a good time to buy one of the remaining leftover 05s. They just built the final 05s this week and some dealers are discounting substantially off MSRP.

Dave WI

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Dave

You shooting blanks Ric?

Not to many fixes required, been flawless so far at one year.

The chrome wheels may be hard to get because of the people that have been burnt on the polished wheels, it could put a high demand on them.

Now to get my 6 speed updated, yeah, right.

Reply to
Dad

Hi Dad,

Thanks for your comments regarding fixes. Could you fill me in on the polished wheels? What's the problem?

JGB

Reply to
jagebe

Poor polish and milky/cloudy clear coat = dull wheels for only $1200. They don't even come close to the 2000 forged, polished wheel and cost more than they are worth. Not a good buy for the quality received. Save your money and buy an after market upgrade.

Reply to
Dad

Reply to
RicSeyler

Dad,

Thanks for the warning. The '05 I'm looking at has the polished wheels, but I didn't notice anything wrong. I'll have to take a closer look.

JGB

Reply to
JGB

No big deal, the clear coat has a blush to it and it's not shinny enough for the big spenders. My self I don't like chrome on an aluminum wheel, to easy to peel, but there are allot out there that seem to be doing just fine.

Reply to
Dad

Reply to
RicSeyler

The finish on the C6 polished wheels has gotten better in later production. Still not up to par with the C5 wheels which were a work of art, but the ones I've seen (not mine) have a much more uniform polished appearance than the early ones.

The chrome ones, if they're anything like the aftermarket C6 chrome, look too 'blingy'. Not to mention they will be about a $700 option price premium over the polished.

Dave WI

Dad wrote:

Reply to
Dave

Just FWIW the polished aluminum wheels on mine, late April build, are pretty presentable.

As an engineer, I cringe whenever someone talks about plating chromium over aluminum. Sheesh. Baaaad idea. You aren't even really supposed to put chromium directly over iron or steel.

Reply to
Vandervecken

What train do you work on? My grandmother was a Baldwin, is your engine a Baldwin? Does it have chrome wheels? Oops, where was I? Most are still using a three step plating method but when we lost the cyanide bath it just don't stick the same. Still aluminum flexes to much for the chrome to stay put like it did on steel. Besides, I don't like the bling, to each his own, until you're washing them and find a piece that is peeling off that requires stitches.

Reply to
Dad

You should see Learjet's plating operation. Chrome, silver, gold, cadmium, nickel, platinum, unobtanium. Plating done *really* right. Does a body good. 'Course if you fell in *those* vats they'd never even find your bones.

They can polish things pretty good, too.

Reply to
Vandervecken