Distributor adjustmen on '91

The service manual instructs to disconnect the ECM at the distributor and set timing at 6 degrees BTDC. Cool. Except when I disconnect the ECM at
the distributor the car won't start. I am pulling the black plug that sits between the tach connector and the body of the distributor. Is that the wrong plug to pull? It's the only one I see and the line drawing in the manual shows this to be the ECM.
Obviously I'm doing something wrong. Somebody out there has to have set the timing on an L98 tha can straighten me out.
--
Charlie Funk
Just Cruisin' Plus