distributor rebuild

1972 breaker point distributor. Can I get top-notch results if I change the shafts and bushings myself, or should I send it to a shop that specializes? How finicky are these critters?

--WebTV-Mail-80-5777 Content-Type: Text/Plain; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit
i had mine rebuilt thru corvette central they send u one thats already rebuilt it s exchange type deal if yours is rebuildable
--WebTV-Mail-80-5777 Content-Description: signature Content-Disposition: Inline Content-Type: Text/HTML; Charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7Bit
--WebTV-Mail-80-5777--

just a heads-up.. its NOT customary to post in HTML on text only newsgroups.
--
"Key"

snipped-for-privacy@juno.com wrote:

I'm not speaking from personal experience as I've never rebuilt one, and I'm currently away from home so I don't have access to info I've squirreled away for the day I try it, but...
I don't think there's any real trick to rebuilding them, but it's important to get the end-clearances on the main shaft and the tach-drive gears correct, to be certain the oil-pump driven gear is on the mainshaft in the same orientation that it came off (I believe there are corresponding marks on each), and that everything is properly lubricated with the correct lubricants during assembly.
Don't try it without a set of detailed instructions.
Ditto what wayne said... It is my understanding that the bushings need to be reamed after install for alignment.
Check http://www.tispecialty.com /
Article from their site http://www.tispecialty.com/articles/article6.htm
Good luck, Joe 72 coupe