Does anyone take up two parking spaces at a parking lot ?

ROFL. I think the point they are trying to make, Dave, is that if there is no one around, why park across the line? There is no one next to you!

And second, if there is no one around, and you park across the line, there is no other cars to prevent a guy parking right next to you if he wants. He has plenty of room to do so.

Tom in Missouri

thats gay just drive the car it can be fixed.

Reply to
John Moore

'ROFL. I think the point they are trying to make, Dave, is that if there is no one around, why park across the line? There is no one next to you!'

REPLY: Simple. There may be no one close to you when you double park, but, within an hour there could be .

'And second, if there is no one around, and you park across the line, there is no other cars to prevent a guy parking right next to you if he wants. He has plenty of room to do so.'

REPLY: If im double parked and someone else wants to park next to me in a single space, he would have plenty of room to do so with no chance of him opening his car door against mine.

DISCLAIMER : Please note ! Attention ! I hereby , from this moment forward, will NOT double park my new Corvette . I will take my tin car instead. (any subsequent posts made by me are only hypothetical situations). Lastly, Dad....Again, i hereby apologize to you and your kin-folk for any offense i may have caused you .

Reply to
dave

Unless you are typing lies, We all know what you believe...

Reply to
My Names Nobody

hmmm ???

Reply to
'Key

dave, wrote the following at or about 9/7/2006 5:25 PM:

And that's the point everyone is trying to make, I guess. If you're merely anal about your car when you park it, you become a rude asshole an hour later when the lot fills up.

Unless he decides to pimp you, which I suspect is what was being suggested. He just straddles the line of one of the two parking spaces you're hogging and leaves you about six inches in which to open your card door against his 1986 Ford F-150 with all the dents and rust on it.

Once had a guy from our office drive his nice new tin car Honda out to the country club for a luncheon. Not satisfied to merely park it in a parallel slot, he took the last two out of the middle in a line of seven spots. Unfortunately for him, the luncheon was late and by the time a couple more of us arrived both the car behind him and the one ahead of him were leaving. We boxed him in and then stayed late for some b.s.ing and drinks after the luncheon. He, on the other hand, had a court appearance up that afternoon for which he was a bit late since it took him awhile to figure out whose cars were blocking him in and, of course, it took us a bit to come out and move them.

Bottom line is that people (and I KNOW you will never take up two parking spaces so you can stop repeating that mantra) that take up two parking spaces attract vandals who are somehow incensed by people who feel that they are "more entitled" to real estate covered with asphalt because they drive a nice car than the rest of the working stiffs who don't.

I try to park my 'Vette in an out of the way place or parallel park, but the next time I take up two spaces with ANY car will be the first time.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

The assumption here is that you leave within the time you think cars will be closing in on your car.

But if you double park, the next car "may" choose to do the same and therefore be parked right beside you as close as he chooses to be. Remember that the lines aren't walls so anyone can park over a line as is often the case with parked cars. This is a matter of opinion (and may depend on where you reside) but my opinion is that you attract unnecessary attention when you double park especially with a well waxed car. Disclaimer: this is only my opinion and not etched in stone as gospel.

Reply to
rob

'And that's the point everyone is trying to make, I guess. If you're merely anal about your car when you park it, you become a rude asshole an hour later when the lot fills up.'

REPLY: A person wouldnt need to qualify as such, if others would have respect for ones expensive and meaningful possesion.

'Unless he decides to pimp you, which I suspect is what was being suggested. He just straddles the line of one of the two parking spaces you're hogging and leaves you about six inches in which to open your card door against his 1986 Ford F-150 with all the dents and rust on it.'

REIPLY: If youre parked on an angle taking up two spaces., he cant hit your car door if he pulls straight in a space between the lines now can he ?

'Bottom line is that people (and I KNOW you will never take up two parking spaces so you can stop repeating that mantra) that take up two parking spaces attract vandals who are somehow incensed by people who feel that they are "more entitled" to real estate covered with asphalt because they drive a nice car than the rest of the working stiffs who don't.'

REPLY: That may be the bottom line to the Disrespectors of others personal property...however to the owner of a New Vette who has to live in a world of undesirables (people who could care less), the bottom line is protecting his/her investment. And it is : 1. Not to look kew-wull

  1. Not to rub it in 3. Not be a smarty-pants and 4. Not to invite trouble. In this country of ever increasing degradation, there are many steps in which people protect their material investments : Own guns , put up fences , put triple locks on doors, buy the wife a huge ring so others are less inclined to hit on her, car alarms, outdoor cameras, flootlights galore, et al.. ; the world is filled with LawLess individuals . One must take measures to protect themselves as well as what they own.

'I try to park my 'Vette in an out of the way place or parallel park, but the next time I take up two spaces with ANY car will be the first time.'

REPLY: This is what i now try to do. So again , as i concur with you : I hereby do not park double in a parking lot any longer and I am only discussing this topic with hypothetical scenarios for the edification of the NG. And Dad, i still hereby apologize to you and the Kin folk.

Reply to
dave

'Simple. There may be no one close to you when you double park, but, within an hour there could be . The assumption here is that you leave within the time you think cars will be closing in on your car.

REPLY: Yes. If you are able to . This is a good idea.

'If im double parked and someone else wants to park next to me in a single space, he would have plenty of room to do so with no chance of him opening his car door against mine.' But if you double park, the next car "may" choose to do the same and therefore be parked right beside you as close as he chooses to be. Remember that the lines aren't walls so anyone can park over a line as is often the case with parked cars. This is a matter of opinion (and may depend on where you reside) but my opinion is that you attract unnecessary attention when you double park especially with a well waxed car.'

REPLY: True, this is a distinct possibility of occuring. And id be fine with that . In fact, (before i made this original post), i parked next to a very nice looking 1966 Chevelle that was parked on an angle taking up 2 spaces toward the bottom of the parking lot. I allowed alot of room between the two cars.

'Disclaimer: this is only my opinion and not etched in stone as gospel.'

REPLY: Disclaimer to the disclaimer : It is only your opinion, but since it sounds quite rational, etch it in concrete as gospel.

Reply to
dave

Unless he is "just like you" entitled to ignore the lines and park at an angle as you are. Right?

Reply to
My Names Nobody

Thank you as I'm flattered but perhaps there are others who disagree and depending on where you live or park, they might be right. Unfortunately I live on the outskirts of a major city and people seem to care less what you drive or where you park (as disrespect) so if you have a nice car, you better park it away for starters and pray when you leave it.

Reply to
rob

Dave, you will find a lot more respect for your car out alone if you are right in the middle of the space.

Park alone correctly and most will assume you simply don't want doors smashed into yours.

Park at an angle or across two lines, and people instantly know you think you are better than them.

And when you are parking a mile away from everyone, you open yourself to two new threats:

  1. Shopping carts. On a windy day, or if you are downhill, a cart can get rolling pretty fast and make a lot of damage. With no cars on either side to protect you, you get hit. I saw one once that the wind started it going downhill, and must have been doing 30-35 mph when it hit the side of a new car all the way out in nowhere. Heck of a dent. My first thought was the poor lady telling her husband "Really, I parked at the far end away from everyone!"

  1. Car theft. All alone, away from everything, it is so easy to run a rollback up and take you away. And most people won't look twice. They will assume you are a mile away because the car quit there last night or it died and you coasted into the lot only that far. Plus your car becomes highly visible to anyone looking to remove it. Hide it between two SUVs, and they have to be right at your car to see it.

If you want it safe, park where the employees park. Often they park at the far end or the far side lot. Find a space, you blend in, have shopping cart protection, and no worries about them coming out and bashing a door while you are in shopping.

Reply to
Tom in Missouri

'Dave, you will find a lot more respect for your car out alone if you are right in the middle of the space. Park alone correctly and most will assume you simply don't want doors smashed into yours. Park at an angle or across two lines, and people instantly know you think you are better than them. And when you are parking a mile away from everyone, you open yourself to two new threats:

  1. Shopping carts. On a windy day, or if you are downhill, a cart can get rolling pretty fast and make a lot of damage. With no cars on either side to protect you, you get hit. I saw one once that the wind started it going downhill, and must have been doing 30-35 mph when it hit the side of a new car all the way out in nowhere. Heck of a dent. My first thought was the poor lady telling her husband "Really, I parked at the far end away from everyone!"
  2. Car theft. All alone, away from everything, it is so easy to run a rollback up and take you away. And most people won't look twice. They will assume you are a mile away because the car quit there last night or it died and you coasted into the lot only that far. Plus your car becomes highly visible to anyone looking to remove it. Hide it between two SUVs, and they have to be right at your car to see it. If you want it safe, park where the employees park. Often they park at the far end or the far side lot. Find a space, you blend in, have shopping cart protection, and no worries about them coming out and bashing a door while you are in shopping.

REPLY: Thanks Tom. Good tips. Ive decided not to take my new Vette to parking lots if i can avoid it; ill take my tin SUV and still park it quite some distance .

  1. Not to rub it in 3. Not be a smarty-pants and 4. Not to invite trouble. In this country of ever increasing degradation, there are many steps in which people protect their material investments : Own guns , put up fences , put triple locks on doors, buy the wife a huge ring so others are less inclined to hit on her, car alarms, outdoor cameras, flootlights galore, et al.. ; =A0 the world is filled with LawLess individuals . One must take measures to protect themselves as well as what they own. REPLY: =A0 This is what i now try to do. So again , as i concur with you =A0=A0=A0=A0I hereby do not park double in a parking lot any longer and I am only discussing this topic with hypothetical scenarios for the edification of the NG. And Dad, i still hereby apologize to you and the Kin folk.'
Reply to
dave

Dave,

I went to the theater a few months ago. Since I've seen the old ladies hitting anything in the vicinity in the theater parking lot, I decided to park in the pay lot across the street. I pulled in, and I was the only car in the lot. There are at least 200 spots in the lot. When I got back there were two of us. My car, and the one next to it.

I returned to the theater again a few weeks ago, and when I returned to the lot, there were about 10 cars in it. Again, one was right next to mine.

I think that a lot of people have a herding instinct.

Regards, Jim

Reply to
Jim Henry

You are certainly are dead on in that respect!

Reply to
Bob I