Don't believe Corvette owners lies about supposed fuel economy

Page 2 of 4
wrote:
:>I happen to belong to a Corvette club since 1991. :> :>I also own a 64 corvette convertible since 91. Has doubled in value. Gets
:>12 miles per gallon.
For a claimed " insider" you certainly write like you're outside the Corvette club.
" Typical vette owners would not really be concerned with mileage. Seems they are going for the looks and performance. "
:>I do not like the newer ones. Way over priced for what you get. Interior :>looks like a rental car. Most folks in my club with the newer vettes drive :>them only on weekends and do not really care what the mileage is. :> :>Vito
Lots of C5 and C6 daily drivers. The point you've now made is that the newer Corvettes make better mileage than the older Corvettes. Maybe that's why newer Corvette owners don't care about gas mileage...?
Remember The Wave. :)
:> wrote: :>> :>>> :>> :>>> :> you never got above an E-5... I did that in a little over one :>> year in :>> :>>> the Army... :>> :>> :>> :>> Totally agree. I'm not a fan of most domestic cars, but the Corvette :>> :>> is definitely an exception. For a 500 hp, 7.0 liter vehicle to be able :>> :>> to get 24 to 29 MPG, that is impressive. That technology should be :>> :>> sprinkled throughout the product range. The new Malibu seems to be a a :>> :>> sign that (FINALLY!) GM is waking up and really thinking about the :>> :>> whole prodcut line, not just the king Corvette. :>> :>> :>> :>> :>> :>> CD :>> :>> :>> :> :>> :> :>> :>> :> :>
I guess I am out of touch with my club in that I am not impressed with any vette newer than about 1971. Only about 5 of us in a club of 100 with exclusively older cars.
Hopefully with this new gas mileage requirement GM will see fit to put a 7500 rpm redline V8 of about 4.5 liter capacity with overhead cams, 4 valves per, direct injection and variable intake and exhaust timing.
I am not too impressed with the technical aspects of a pushrod 7 liter with a supercharger for the new ZR1 (no variable valve timing and only 2 valves per cylinder). Pure crudeness at $100,000 per.
Vito

Pontiac, MI - At 1:15:42 AM Friday, General motors Corp. (GM) said that they have completed SAE certification of the ZR1's supercharged LS9 V-8 and the results exceed the estimate: 638 horsepower or 476 kW and 604 lb.-ft. of torque or 819 Nm!!
Not to bad for the KISS system. Actually it's a 6.2 liter supercharged V-8, but who's counting.
--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

One post says he don't like the new Corvettes and down just a bit he thinks "I am not too impressed with the technical aspects of a pushrod 7 liter with a supercharger for the new ZR1 (no variable valve timing and only 2 valves per cylinder). Pure crudeness at $100,000 per."
As shown above he thinks the cutoff point was 1971 when half the gasoline went through the engine just to keep the valves from burning. Today's Corvette sips gasoline past some pretty sophisticated metallurgy in the valve train and gets 2 to 3 times the mileage the 1971 was getting. Of course that's not the only thing that is weaning the gas guzzlers of yesteryear, there in better breathing, materials, computers, bearings, less drag, manufacturing technique, and lubricants just to name a few advances.
Of course if you want engineering there is the VW Touareg 2, it salutes you with an impressive light show as the range adjusting dynamic headlights calibrate themselves. Cosmetically, the 2008 Volkswagen Touareg 2 is more of a nose-tipping than a full face-lift. The exterior changes include the new-look grille (chrome for the V6 model and matte chrome for the V8 and the V10 diesel) that clarifies the family resemblance to the rest of the VW line. Engineering at its best.
You'll recognize this 40-valve 4,172cc V8 after its introduction to the Touareg lineup last year, and its rating of 350 horsepower and 324 pound-feet of torque remains the same. But the new application of direct fuel injection makes it possible to achieve peak power at 6,700 rpm, 100 rpm lower than before. The 2008 Volkswagen Touareg V8 costs $55,750, is the Touareg 2 now the sport-utility version of the VW Phaeton, a luxury sedan that never found its audience?
The Touareg 2 reaches 60 mph in 7.7 seconds in Sport mode, and the quarter-mile in 15.7 seconds at 90.2 mph. For an SUV that weighs 5,240 pounds that not to bad, although you pay the price with fuel economy(?) of 13.1 mpg.
I must digress though, it sure is nice to get in the '64 and not have to worry about it taking over the world if all of the computers decide to turn on us. ;-))
Screw the wave, get up on that wheel and hit the gas........................................
--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Cool!
"Bob G." <rg327_remove_comcast.net> wrote in message wrote:

But Weight is the Vee-Dub's big problem. With a curb weight of 5,300 pounds, the Touareg V8 is like packing the mass of a Chevy Suburban into a Volvo XC90-size wrapper. This poundage puts a dent in fuel economy and imparts a somewhat leaden feel to the on-road experience, particularly when the vehicle is driven with any amount of spirit. This is especially true of the 5,825-pound Touareg V10 TDI. Personally I'd rather go with the Heavy Chevy then the Chubby Dubbie, at least you get more space for your el`crapola at a significantly lower price.

--
"Before all else, be armed" -- Machiavelli

Sarah Czepiel wrote:

My '94 Ragtop 6sp runs circles around my Xterra in mileage.
--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler

:>> wrote: :>> :>> :>They'll lie and tell people that Corvettes get 28 MPG, when the truth :>> :>is that the C6 ZO6 gets 24 MPG, the C6 Auto Coupe gets 25 mpg, and the :>> :>C6 Manual gets 26 MPG. :>> :>> Husband and I averaged 29mpg last summer on a trip from Maryland to Rhode :>> Island. :>> :>> When the Corvette has so many other things to brag about, why would anyone :>> lie about the gas mileage? :>> :>> -------- :>>
:>>
:>> :>> :> you never got above an E-5... I did that in a little over one year in the Army... :> :>Totally agree. I'm not a fan of most domestic cars, but the Corvette :>is definitely an exception. For a 500 hp, 7.0 liter vehicle to be able :>to get 24 to 29 MPG, that is impressive.
You're talking ZO6 numbers here. The C6 has 405hp and has a 6.1L displacement. But you're right, the 24-20 mpg is still impressive.
:>That technology should be sprinkled throughout the product range. The new Malibu :>seems to be a a sign that (FINALLY!) GM is waking up and really thinking about the :>whole prodcut line, not just the king Corvette. :> :> :>CD

Checked mine today and on a 30 trip, went to pickup a gun I ordered; talked to the owners widow for about 3 hours; watched a few turkeys get checked in, nice birds, and then back home. No one shot when it was warmed up and at its peak, about 8 miles without a stop sign. Warmed it up twice so to speak and got a very poor 29.2, have seen 34 on a nice day of driving non stop with a group coming back from the Corvette factory.
Jack, Al, Lawrence, and/or Sal don't know if his asshole was punched, bored, or rusted through let alone anything about automobiles.
Don't believe the lies. The Audi R8 TDI has a road bending 738ft/lbs of torque and a 12 cylinder engine and yet gets fuel economy better than the C6 ZO6 on the highway, and far better in the city. It sound and looks a hell of a lot better than any redneck gm car any day of the week too. This is what a good looking car is supposed to look like not like a Corvette.

http://youtube.com/watch?v
ylp_9kJyo
http://youtube.com/watch?v
-DTwoh2RQ
Sal wrote:

Oh, comparing apples to grapefruits, are we?
Does the R8 TDI not even exist as a production vehicle yet? And when it does go into production, will it not cost at least twice as a much as any Vette? Oh, and finally, is not the R8 TDI a *DIESEL* motor?
I'm not knocking the R8 TDI at all. That is one advanced piece of motoring mayhem that I would just love to have in my driveway, diesel and all.
But to compare a brand new concept using un-related technologies to an existing Vette is not exactly a fair comparison. By far.
You sound like someone who would do anything, even twists facts around, to win an argument.
I suppose you beleive Hillary when she was taking sniper fire in Bosnia, too.
CD

That TDi V12 smoker has eaten ALL the luggage space!
Time for VW/audi to make a VR/WR diesel?
--
Peter Hill
Spamtrap reply domain as per NNTP-Posting-Host in header

BFD, you cross posting want-a-be.......

Sal; "You" & "Tube" are really two words that belong together. The exact opposite of an oxymoron.
--
"Before all else, be armed" -- Machiavelli

:>
:> :>> wrote: :>> :>> :>They'll lie and tell people that Corvettes get 28 MPG, when the truth :>> :>is that the C6 ZO6 gets 24 MPG, the C6 Auto Coupe gets 25 mpg, and the :>> :>C6 Manual gets 26 MPG. :>> :>> Husband and I averaged 29mpg last summer on a trip from Maryland to Rhode :>> Island. :> :>Surprising! Things must have changed since the day I owned Vettes. My 71 :>454 4 speed with a 3.08 rear could never get better than 16 running around :>80. In town, it was near 10.
Ex husband had both a '69 Cougar [ essentially the Eliminator but without the paint, spoiler, etc ] and a '69 Judge. If I remember correctly the best either of those two could pump out was 14mpg and it was a rare occurrence even at that. :)
Sarah Czepiel wrote:

Ah Sarah, you have shoved me into the, 'can you top this' thread.
My record was with a '57 Olds 88 with J-2 engine option. Over 400 cubes (Dad might recall the actual displacement of that block) with tandem 4bbl carbs and a chassis/frame that must have been made from a blend of cast iron and depleted Uranium. 14 mpg with a tail wind and 7-10 around town. Ate brake linings for dessert. Nice gold paint job with lots of stainless-steel trim. Smooth Hydramatic with a stall ratio that made it quick off the line (no TCC in those days except on Studebakers and Packards).
In retrospect, premium for that monster was about 28 cents a gallon, roughly equal to $3.55 in today's dollars. (I was in the top 10% of wage-earners then, with an $ 7K annual salary.)
Just filled the C5 this morning at $4.059/gal. But, after I run all the numbers, the adjusted cost (2008 dollars) of fuel/mile for the C5 is about 1/2 of what it cost to run a "muscle car" of yesteryear.
Even my old C4 produces 24mpg highway and over 21 in mixed freeway/city commuting. (Interesting thing with the C4 is that it gets better gas mileage at 75 than it does at 65). (probably a poor match of that ancient ECM to the 'performance' axle ratio @ 65mph)
In contrast, the leased FX35 that I dumped *required* premium, got 22 highway and just under 20 when commuting. One of that car's difficulties was a crappy choice of final drive ratio. It would turn close to 3000 rpm at the highway speed limit. The C4 and C5 'vettes each run well under 2K rpm at the same speed.
The Nissan engineers missed the point that friction increases as the square of speed/rpm. More likely were caught in a marketing squeeze and foisted the car into production before they had all the necessary pieces to do it right. All of that sophisticated valve train sucked a lot of HP at highway speed and that meant poor fuel efficiency. (More parts in motion x higher rpm = more friction.)
Nissan grasped that issue and has has spent a bunch of bucks on transmission development.
Good news, if one believes in catch-up baseball!
-- pj