door panel replacement on C3

Hi,

I'm in the middle of a restoration and had my door panels removed to sandblast the iron innerparts. Now I want to replace the skins with new ones.

The doors are out of the car. Which is the best way to do this ?

Thanks

YT

Reply to
YT

============================ I think you are trying to recover your door panels with skins.... IF SO I would suggest you forget it and buy complete replacement panels...

I picked up a set of skins dirt cheap at Carlisle years ago for one of my cars and honestly it was not a real easy task to glue the skins on the old panels... I would do it again only if I had a hell of a lot of time and no money...!

Bob Griffiths

64 72 76 79 & 95 Corvettes\68 SS 396 Chevelle
Reply to
Bob G

When ever I've put a new skin on it is with the door on the car latched with the hinges in a neutral position. I use temporary threaded pegs on the inside of the skin. With the adhesive applied the panel is fitted to the exterior of the car by adjusting the tension on the pegs and seam shims. After it sets up I remove the pegs and clean off the adhesive that attached them. It only took one warped door to get a better way to put them on.

Reply to
Dad

If you mean methodology, I'd listen to Dad. He isn't called that for nothing. If you're just looking for some suggestions or other-than-normal ways to get it done. I took my panels to Mexico. Tijuana, in fact, which is a lot better than it was fifty years ago, although I do miss the donkey. But I got the panels recovered in five hours, for a cost of $125 per panel. It is a really good job. I chose the material which is the same as what we get in the States.

Of course, if you're in Canada, nevermind.

Reply to
BDragon

your best bet would be to order a new replacment.

C2G6KF0405AE

has a length of 72 characters and resulted in the following TinyURL which has a length of 24 characters:

'luck

Reply to
'Key

Thanks Dad, but what do you mean with the pegs ?

Thanks

Reply to
YT

The threaded pegs are used to pull the skin into position in line with the body, the shims are to maintain the door gap. Both can then hold it in position until the adhesive sets/cures. You will have done allot of fitting before you get to this point.

Reply to
Dad