drunk driving

Hello group, Please forgive a tad off topic but relevant to all car lovers. Everyone has heard the stories about the drunk driver killing others and walking away unhurt. I would simply like to know if that is really true. I've worked in an emergency room and I've seen plenty of drunks injured and dead.My small sampling is inconclusive. One can't go by the newspapers either for the same reason thousands of planes land safely every day and you only read about the few times a year one crashes. I've been searching all over the internet for days now for statistics and there is certainly plenty of data available but I've found nothing to support or refute that one particular fact. I'd appreciate any suggestion of where to look next. Important - I'm just looking for the facts here, please do not misread this as some kind of rationalization for drunk driving.

Reply to
Tikbalang

---snip---

sure its true ! I would suggest that you keep looking...

Reply to
'Key

Reply to
Bob I

Im sure there are lots of drunks who walk away virtually unscathed from a bad accident as well as those that dont. I was a witness to a drunk driver hitting a Korean family in their car, broadside, at an intersection where they Korean Family were stopped in the intersection waiting to make a turn on a green...and the drunk ran the red light and hit their car with such force it shattered every window . I was first on the scene as i was right behind the drunk about 100 ' back. The Korean Family were in a state of Trauma and completely covered in glass particles with numerous places of bleeding. The Drunk got out of his car (a huge Lincoln Continental) and staggered over to me asking him to hold him up ; he leaned on me and moved away. When the cops arrived some 5 minutes later, i told the Officer the guy smelled of booze . The Koreans insurance company later sent me a form to fill out describing exactly what i saw took place. I made sure i indicated the Offender was drunk and staggering. He wasnt staggering from pain either. It was a sad sight to see the Korean Family all cut up due to some Alkie . Good thing the Drunk was only going 30 mph. The Koreans couldnt speak any English ; what a welcome to America !

Reply to
Dave in Lake Villa

I wouldnt be surprised if Drunk offenders in a car crash stood a better chance of survival , being perhaps in a totally relaxed state and reasonably numb to pain (?) . Just a hypothesis.

Reply to
Dave in Lake Villa

Having served with numerous volunteer Emergency Rescue or Fire Rescue departments over the past three decades in various locations across America I can you that; yes it happens. As in the infamous anything that can happen does. Now at what frequency, who the hell knows and I doubt anyone is tracking it. Why, the uninjured fellow doesn't get any care, hence isn't in the statistic books just like all other victims of any number of numerous accidents.

Now the "without a scratch" dent, ding or bruise I haven't seen, but I have seen plenty of drunks, or what I suspected are drunks refuse treatment of any kind (more then likely from feeling no pain in the first place). Also, many drunks who cause accidents do not want to go to a medical facility for fearing they be blood tested.

I was the first responder to a single car accident where I highly suspected the driver was drunk (with plenty of very good reasons). For whatever reason when Highway Patrol respond they didn't really seem to care (cops can be lazy too) since there was no Property damage & the driver refused medical treatment at the scene. A tow-truck was called & the driver caught a ride with the Operator who was bringing the vehicle to his home anyhow.

End of the story is the driver woke up dead -- still without a scratch on him. Although ruptured spleen does what I think you know one does over the course of the night and he bled out in his sleep. One less drunk on the roads from my perspective.

Reply to
Zombywoof