Electrical whine -C5

I have a new whine in the car, sounds electrical. The alternator is still putting out ~13.5 to 14 volts under load at fast idle. I can't tell if it is coming through the speakers or not, doesn't seem to be radio related. I run XM on a direct feed. Any thoughts on anything I should check before the investment in a new alternator? Thanks, FBNE.

'01 C5 red, no mods

Reply to
FBNE

You need to check, clean your grounds on the frame rails, both sides, and add any capacitor/suppressors required to fix the addition of the XM feed. How is the XM not a mod on an '01, is it a stand alone system?

Reply to
Dad

Okay you got me there on the XM. I did manage to hide the antenna under the rear body panel and the control head under the ash tray cover. I will check the grounds. The XM has been in place for 4 years, the whine started about a month ago. I divorced the other bad whine coming from the left seat, so I know it isn't that. FBNE

Reply to
FBNE

Genius.

Venger

Reply to
Venger

Well if she was in the left seat I would have to.

Good luck on the grounds if that will do it, may be covered with small stones. I vacuum them out when I clean the car to keep them from collecting dirt and moisture.

Reply to
Dad

She was. "I wanna drive, I wanna drive." Had to go.

Reply to
FBNE

That's the problem. The whine comes from the right seat.

-W

Reply to
Clams Canino

I checked all the grounds today.. No luck, is there a module in the alt that can be changed out? It is coming from the alt, as the pitch of the whine is related to rpm. I show good output voltage. FBNE

Reply to
FBNE