Example of Good GM Design :-(

The battery in my 2001 C5 died and that's okay as it was almost 3 years old. I had a heck of a time removing the side terminals because GM left little or no space to remove side terminals. My only small 8 mm open end wrench slipped out of my hand and dropped in slot in the bottom of the battery box. I got the battery out using some small vice grips. What a dumb-ass design! To make a long story short I managed to fish the small wrench out using a long telescoping thing with magnet on the end.

Happiness is Wall Mart batteries! Where else can you get a battery replaced for free on FRIDAY night. My battery was still within the 36 month warranty and they exchanged it and gave me a new one with another 36 free replacement starting from Aug 2010.

After a very bad experience with Delco batteries, I only use Wall Mart batteries. They are as good as most with a better warranty and they are open 24 hours /7 days a week. Batteries seem to always die on weekends.

Reply to
aRKay

Wow, where do you get gloves with 4 thumbs in them? You must have at least 2 thumbs on each hand for the C5 battery to be a problem in any way. Try the C4 sometime, or a C1 if you want an adventure. Hint, to change the C1 it's always easier if it doesn't have acid in it, the C4 you only need to remove some of the front fender. I just changed my Delco in the truck that was 9 years old this June.

By the way Wal-Mart closes around here at 9:00, that's when most people get their goats out to take them home for milking, much cooler in there during the hot days. ;-))

Reply to
Dad

I highly recommend buying a side terminal ratched wrench available in just about every Vette catalog out there. And, yes I did drop my open ended 8mm wrench in the well and got it out with a telescoping magnet thingy like 2yrs later - LOL! I did that when I was putting a bolt-on charger on the bettery so I didn't have to take the battery out every winter. I guess I have a true-plug-in hybrid! Only got 4yr out of the delco because I killed it while running the radio too long while detailing the car with the engine off. Barely got another 6mo out of it after that - just plugged in the charger every night! Replaced it with an Optima red top and still going as strong as the day I bought it 5yr ago. It has way more cranking Amps than that Delco ever had even when my '01 had 46mi on it from the dealer (10 of that was my test drive).

"Dad" wrote in news:1YidnXMdg61qUsHRnZ2dnUVZ_u- snipped-for-privacy@bright.net:

Reply to
Richard Hertz

I second the ratchet, but sadly we don't all have them when needed. I keep a Craftsman 5/16 (same as 8M/M) X 1/4 in all my cars along with a set of screwdriver tips to use in the 1/4 end. Have been meaning to pickup some 1/4 hex drive sockets to go along with the bits.

That dropped wrench thing seem to be getting worse for me, makes me thankful for the telescopic magnet.

Reply to
Dad

Wrist strap lanyard. ;-)

Reply to
Bob I

I now have one. Best $5 deal at Wall Mart. I picked one up when I swapped the battery.

Reply to
aRKay

Owing one is one thing. Remembering to put it on during a sweaty job is something else. :-[

-- pj

Reply to
pete

I found on my C4 that you don't need to remove the fender bolt closest to the door, but all the others, and hinge out the fender part, and the battery in/out is no huge problem. I still want to meet the roicket scientist that decided to put the distributor on front of the LT1 and behind the water pump and vibration damper...

George Csahanin

I can't quit follow your words.It's my first time what I heard it.It's really a amazing ideal. Now I undersand what means amazing.Such as I'm a new to the world.I'm quite agree with what you said in the topics 'led'

only talk about it in our mind but we don't have real exprience 'led'
the societytechnology developed every 'led'
daymore and more.

Reply to
asianinkjet