First oil change?

Mileage? Oil?
Dealer says synthetic, but isn't that non detergent? Non detergent leaves dirt buildup inside block.
Thanks, TF

Stay with synthetic!!!!! The tolerances and clearances of the engine are specifically designed for the weight and viscosity of synthetic oils....
TF wrote:

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler

last scare was that it cleaned out the motor so much that the seals leaked. My head hurts, I just can't keep up.
--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

FWIW: I would simply follow the factory recommendation when it comes to what oil to use and how often to change it.
I use 10w-30 in my '01 C5 (approved by GM for temps above 0F if I recall correctly) since I never drive the vehicle when temps drop (even) below 32F.
Also I 'follow the DIC' when it comes to deciding when to change the oil - ie. never MORE frequently than what the DIC recommended UNLESS that would exceed 12 months. For ME, that means I do only one change a year, JUST BEFORE I put the car in storage for the winter.
If you are NOT driving (often) in excesssively COLD OR DUSTY conditions, I would follow the DIC - the FACTORY engineers know what they are doing when it comes to recommending oil change intervals and all else is simply (typically) biased and/or personal opinions or 'superstition' based on 'old wives tales' or 30 year old info/beliefs with no current scientific basis behind them.

recomend to meet the requirements of the marketing & legal types...
However I still belive in frequent oil changes... its only money and I really enjoy tinkering with my cars... and changing oil is a labor of love for me...
Easy to do...not expensive and it sure as hell beats "waxing"... My "Toys" seldom see 1000 miles between oil changes.. Sure its overkill but the cars are after all my toys
Bob Griffiths 68 SS 396 Chevelle 64 & 72 Corvette Convertibles 76 79 & 95 Corvette Coupes

The dealer never said such a thing. Chevrolet began putting Mobil 1 in the LT1 in the 1992 model year and it has been in them every since that time. Now Kmart or a quick change oil outlet may have told you that, but that means you have to be capable of listening to someone and you can't. Look at the oil fill cap, what does it say? Read your manual, what does it say?
--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51
TF wrote:

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler
TF wrote:

Actually, I think what they said was that everyone switches from Mobil to Penzoil. What btrand synthetic should I use?
Are they all non-detergent? Non-detergent oil leaves the dirt in the block.
Thank, TF
Penzoil is a great choice. Liquid wax. Tear down a block that's been using that for a while. Sheesh.
On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 17:36:01 -0800, "BDragon"

that Penzoil is junk.... Just curious... Needed a case of oil for lawn tractors etc and passed on Penzoil yesterday ...not because of it rep but because Sams was selling Mobil "clean drive" 40 percent cheaper...
Bob Griffiths

> Actually, I think what they said was that everyone switches from Mobil to > Penzoil. > What btrand synthetic should I use? > > Are they all non-detergent? > Non-detergent oil leaves the dirt in the block. > > Thank, > TF > .
I would use any Syn oil that had 4718 stamp on bottle. Only two I have found so far is Mobile 1(5w-30)and Pennzoil Platinum (5w-30). I will buy the cheapest of the two.
Honestly if you drive CONSERVATIVELY I bet you can put Synthetic oil from Mobile 1, Pennzoil, Havoline, Castro, etc and you will not feel a difference or do any harm to your engine.
TF wrote:

Dealer, manufacturer, owners manual, other owners, clubs, etc. all say synthetic so why would you consider anything different. Mobil 1 (as it comes from the factory) 5/30, every 5,000 miles IMHO. Don't listen to the oil monitor system if you drive conservatively as it will take you 10 to 15K miles between changes because it measure rpms and oil temp as its two primary inputs. Don't do the initial oil change any earlier than 3K or you are simply wasting oil and not disposing of all the particulate matter that gets shed during break in.
Tom 05 Mag Red
I just did the first oil change on '05 Escalade. It had a magnetic drain plug from the factory. Same oil filter as the C5's take. PF46 I think.
-Stan

I don't understand that myself, my truck has the magnetic drain plug but none of the C5s did nor the C6?????
Tooooo much added cost I guess.
--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51
Dad wrote:

Good idea but wrong, the truck blocks are aluminum also. The only cast iron head and blocks I have are the 72 and a 50 Chevy coupe.
--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51