First oil change?

Mileage? Oil?

Dealer says synthetic, but isn't that non detergent? Non detergent leaves dirt buildup inside block.

Thanks, TF

Reply to
TF

Stay with synthetic!!!!! The tolerances and clearances of the engine are specifically designed for the weight and viscosity of synthetic oils....

TF wrote:

Reply to
RicSeyler

Wow, a non detergent synthetic oil, what they won't come up with next. The last scare was that it cleaned out the motor so much that the seals leaked. My head hurts, I just can't keep up.

Reply to
Dad

Dealer, manufacturer, owners manual, other owners, clubs, etc. all say synthetic so why would you consider anything different. Mobil 1 (as it comes from the factory) 5/30, every 5,000 miles IMHO. Don't listen to the oil monitor system if you drive conservatively as it will take you

10 to 15K miles between changes because it measure rpms and oil temp as its two primary inputs. Don't do the initial oil change any earlier than 3K or you are simply wasting oil and not disposing of all the particulate matter that gets shed during break in.

Tom

05 Mag Red
Reply to
Tom Howlin

But what is in it at the factory? The dealer says I should switch to synthetic, which means they didn't put it in at the factory. Why wouldn;t they? Thanks, TF

Reply to
TF

It IS 'synthetic' from the factory - Mobil 1 5w-30.

FWIW: I would simply follow the factory recommendation when it comes to what oil to use and how often to change it.

I use 10w-30 in my '01 C5 (approved by GM for temps above 0F if I recall correctly) since I never drive the vehicle when temps drop (even) below 32F.

Also I 'follow the DIC' when it comes to deciding when to change the oil - ie. never MORE frequently than what the DIC recommended UNLESS that would exceed 12 months. For ME, that means I do only one change a year, JUST BEFORE I put the car in storage for the winter.

If you are NOT driving (often) in excesssively COLD OR DUSTY conditions, I would follow the DIC - the FACTORY engineers know what they are doing when it comes to recommending oil change intervals and all else is simply (typically) biased and/or personal opinions or 'superstition' based on 'old wives tales' or 30 year old info/beliefs with no current scientific basis behind them.

Reply to
HammerToe

=================== Honestly the Factory Engineers most likely Fudged the intraval they recomend to meet the requirements of the marketing & legal types...

However I still belive in frequent oil changes... its only money and I really enjoy tinkering with my cars... and changing oil is a labor of love for me...

Easy to do...not expensive and it sure as hell beats "waxing"... My "Toys" seldom see 1000 miles between oil changes.. Sure its overkill but the cars are after all my toys

Bob Griffiths

68 SS 396 Chevelle 64 & 72 Corvette Convertibles 76 79 & 95 Corvette Coupes
Reply to
Bob G.

The dealer never said such a thing. Chevrolet began putting Mobil 1 in the LT1 in the 1992 model year and it has been in them every since that time. Now Kmart or a quick change oil outlet may have told you that, but that means you have to be capable of listening to someone and you can't. Look at the oil fill cap, what does it say? Read your manual, what does it say?

Reply to
Dad

Reply to
RicSeyler

Actually, I think what they said was that everyone switches from Mobil to Penzoil. What btrand synthetic should I use?

Are they all n But what is in it at the factory? The dealer says I should switch to synthetic, which means they didn't put it in at the factory. Why wouldn;t they? Thanks, TF

TF wrote:

Mileage? Oil?

Dealer says synthetic, but isn't that non detergent? Non detergent leaves dirt buildup inside block.

Thanks, TF

Reply to
TF

Reply to
Bob I

Are they all non-detergent? Non-detergent oil leaves the dirt in the block.

Thank, TF

Penzoil is a great choice. Liquid wax. Tear down a block that's been using that for a while. Sheesh.

Reply to
BDragon

========================== Now is this a statement in favor of Penzoil or a statement infering that Penzoil is junk.... Just curious... Needed a case of oil for lawn tractors etc and passed on Penzoil yesterday ...not because of it rep but because Sams was selling Mobil "clean drive" 40 percent cheaper...

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G.

everyone switches from Mobil to

block.

I would use any Syn oil that had 4718 stamp on bottle. Only two I have found so far is Mobile 1(5w-30)and Pennzoil Platinum (5w-30). I will buy the cheapest of the two.

Honestly if you drive CONSERVATIVELY I bet you can put Synthetic oil from Mobile 1, Pennzoil, Havoline, Castro, etc and you will not feel a difference or do any harm to your engine.

Reply to
Jabez

I just did the first oil change on '05 Escalade. It had a magnetic drain plug from the factory. Same oil filter as the C5's take. PF46 I think.

Reply to
sbright

I don't understand that myself, my truck has the magnetic drain plug but none of the C5s did nor the C6?????

Tooooo much added cost I guess.

Reply to
Dad

Possibly due to aluminum block, pistons, heads? Debris from those is not magnetic.

-- Vandervecken

Dad wrote:

Reply to
Vandervecken

Good idea but wrong, the truck blocks are aluminum also. The only cast iron head and blocks I have are the 72 and a 50 Chevy coupe.

Reply to
Dad