Fixing Clear coat on decent paint

I was going to do this as Off Topic but after the way the 3 Problems has gone, this is almost completely on topic. :-)

I'm looking at a Camaro for a daily driver. Decent car, great price, as it has the rear bumper and a fender that have a spot of clear coat that has peeled off.

I haven't painted any base coat, clear coat before, and am wondering if it is really as simple as it looks. Can I simply sand the clear coat back passed the area that is lifting and then spray clear on to cover the base paint, feathering over the old clear?

Will this come out fine, or will there be noticeable changes? I'm figuring that I have to sand back several inches past the edges of the "hole" at least and then layer the clear to fill the hole, then wet sand the whole panel give or take to make it blend in.

Am I on track or have I really jumped it with this?

Thanks

Reply to
Tom in Missouri

Nope, think you're right on. There are 2 things that might bite you and that is the original issue that caused the top coat to peal and what top coat was used. Feathering the edges of damage back may promote it's original weak adhesion problem. You may want a very light coat of blender first to help the new coat adhere. Although all top coats are supposed to be clear they have a slight hue to them and the difference may be detectable as they age.

Either way it's all part of the risks you take when it's possible that someone else has already been into the original paint.

Good luck.....

Reply to
Dad

Thanks, Dad, for the reply. I think I found the simplest solution - not buying it. I had considered it since it would be a daily driver and the price was right, but I'm really after a convertible so I've decided to pass on this one.

I looked at a '92 Camaro convertible that was white originally, and they painted white pearl over it. Unfortunately, they didn't do the door jams or under the trunk so it kind of glares out at me as not being a finished job. Maybe no one else would notice or care, but somehow, that just looks cheap or unfinished or bubba to me.

Reply to
Tom in Missouri