float charger question

Do I need to unplug or disconnect my float charger if I start my C4 over the winter or can I leave everything hooked up while it runs? I like to get the fluids circulating every month or so. Thanks.

Reply to
Brad

Unless you take the car for a drive of about 30 minutes or so, simply starting and idling for a short time will do more harm than good.

Good:

  1. It charges the battery.
  2. If run long enough, it should dry out the engine moisture.
  3. It moves the oil around to relube internal parts.
  4. It moves gas through to possibly prevent varnish forming.

Bad:

  1. If not run long enough, you simply create more moisture.
  2. You do nothing for most of the transmission.
  3. You fill the exhaust with moisture and rust out mufflers.
  4. It may just unsettle any varnish in the fuel system to sit in another spot, maybe worse.

Your best bet is to find a decent day, preferably a dry day even if it is 10 degrees out, and take it for a drive. Avoid wet or slushy streets, and avoid any with salt. In some areas, they only salt the main roads so the side streets or back roads can often be clear.

Then when you get home, wash the car, dry it well, and put it away. I've known people who have used leaf blowers to blow underneath to dry the underside.

Reply to
Tom in Missouri

With regard to the battery-tender/float-charger, most of them have either short circuit protection or plenty of internal resistance. They won't self-destruct from the voltage sag during engine cranking.

That said, it's best to disconnect the battery tender and follow Tom's winter-care checklist and go enjoy a drive. Checking the voltage as the engine starts can also let you know how the battery is holding up. If you keep the car for several years, the dollar saving in exhaust components and seal replacements will pay for the gas you use on these "dutiful drives" and scrub downs.

Please keep in mind that regularly driving a Corvette to ensure its well being and longivity is hellish work but, like sex, someone has to do it!

Reply to
PJ

Reply to
Brad

so you are choosing the "Bad" over the "Good" ? just because its a hassel to move some other vehicles out of the way once a month (about three times). ooooook :-) also, there is no way that all the roads are salted.

my2¢

Reply to
'Key

For my two cents I can appreciate your dilemma. I live north of Toronto and my car is in a garage that would at times require removal of three feet of snow and yes ALL the roads are salted. The baby is better off resting with the Battery Tender watching over it 24/7. Make sure you change the all the fluids and you will not have a problem

Reply to
Gopish Too

"my car is in a garage that would at times require removal of three feet of snow" could mean just about any house up in the Barrie area at many times during the winter! C'mon get the snow blower out and drive your Vette back and forth in the driveway! You're right though - your roads are salted until well after the snow is gone.

Reply to
Cool Jet

he was just talking less than three months..

Reply to
'Key

It rained this morning and when the road in front of my house dried it was rather white. That tells me it still has salt on it. It snows here at least a little every few days, and when it snows they salt. As for getting it out I have to move more than just the vehicles. Things like outdoor furniture, lawn tractor, motorcycle,mower, snowblower, etc., all have to be moved so I have room to angle it out. The problem isn't just moving everything, it's where to put it when it's moved. I can't put the other vehicles on the lawn like I can in the summer so I have to have someone in each one to move it while I would get the Vette out, then move them again while I put it back in. I just thought it was better to let it run for 20 minutes or so once a month but if not I'll just wait for spring.

Brad

Reply to
Brad

its no big deal. I was just messin with ya anyway. I have always lived in the south and don't have to deal with the real problems of winter. I really like visiting the northern states. I like the mountains and the beautiful views, but I don't believe I would like to go through the winters every year. its all in what ones gets use to, I guess ?

g'day to you & yours Brad

Reply to
'Key

Reply to
Brad

what type bike ya got ? I ride an flhs / 95" stroker engine / HD family commitments and job commitments are what usually ties a person to a certain geographical area. however, I am retired and my family (my daughters) are grown and married. I choose the south, just because..

enough ot babble..

g'day to ya

Reply to
'Key

Reply to
Brad

V Star ? I know a few Harley folks that went to V Star's and like em. I went to Sturgis last August and seen many V Star's ..

You also Ride Safe !

back on-topic...

-- "Key"

Reply to