Followup. 2008 Z06 Battery Draw Problem

Reference way below on my Z's battery draw down problem and going dead after 5 or 6 days. After half a dozen futile trips to the dealer I purchased it
from, I tried another dealer's service center across town to find the problem.
Well, they informed me that there was a .45 mA intermittent draw that was draining the battery. Factory spec. is around .12. They didn't know what module was causing it, but said if I wanted to leave the car with them for a week, they'd find it.
Then the service guy tells me, "I hate to tell you this, but this car has been in a major accident. We originally sold the car to the lady. She wrecked the car the day she got it." Come to find out, about $25k in damage. So I talked to the body shop manager and he said he remembered the car. Said they did a top notch job and that there was no frame or electrical damage.
I got a Carfax when I bought the car. Went home and ran a new one and it's still not on there. Carfax is not a guarantee of anything. My insurance guy ran it through the insurance damage database and it's not there either.
Went back to where I bought it and told them I did not want the car and wanted a new one. Went from the Sales Mgr, to the Service Mgr, to the General Mgr. Apparently, the woman outfoxed them. She came in after the car was repaired and ordered a 2009. So, they purchased the '08 from her and ordered an '09, which was not in production yet. Well, she never took possession of the '09.
Went back and forth with the General Mgr. for about 6 weeks. Told him I wanted a new one for the same price. Keeps telling me he can't find one. I look on EBay and there's dozens of them. Finally, I requested a face to face meeting last week. He tells me, "My guys got screwed. She outsmarted them. We put the car up on the rack and it was perfect." I mentioned that I had NOT mentioned the BBB, or the BAR, or an attorney and we ought to handle this like gentlemen. He says, "You're right, what will it take to make you happy?" Well, duh! "I want an equal or better car with no money out of pocket."
I'll cut to the chase, 10 minutes later he finds a Z in San Francisco. New. The next day they drove it into Fresno. The new monthly payment is actually 10 dollars less than the old one. I got Obama money, and since it was new, I got a rebate applied to the loan and 2.7% financing (old loan was 5.9%) and some sort of "certificates" he'd been saving. Got the Z for cost and the old Z trade in was higher than what I paid. Took him and the finance guy all day to figure it out.
So, while it was a real bummer on the old car, the Chevy dealer made me happy and kept my business. So it ain't all bad at GM, at least on the local level.
Ed
So much for those that thought I was full of crap when I said Carfax was worthless. They are in the right business though, used cars always have used car salesmen and flimflam men. By the way Carfax does guarantee one thing, and that is that they make money.
Good to see you hook up with an honest dealership of should I say a desperate dealership?
Keep us posted on your new ride.

Snip
Dad wrote:

I wouldn't go so far as to call it worthless - I was able to see ownership and mileage history on my daughters Firebird to see who owned it, where, and when the miles were put on it, and by who. So it does have its uses.
Of course as this case demonstrates, it's no guarantee that a car hasn't been twisted like a pretzel.
Venger

And somehow that lets you know the Firebird wasn't "twisted like a pretzel", that was in his post? I can show you today a 2 year old G6 Pontiac that had both ends smacked hard enough to bend the body cage and it will go on the road with a clear title and no Carfax information about the wreck.
Any body man worth his salt can do the job if they choose to, any time they want, and it's legal, in some cases shady but legal. All that for a car that isn't worth fixing in the first place in this case.
Carfax is worth very little as the last owners name and address is on the title or in the dealers records and all you need to do is call them or go ask them about the automobile. Any reputable car dealer will help you get that information free, without Carfax. The Carfax data is only as good as the information chosen to be put in the data base for any car, war, murder, ponzi scheme, and horse trade.
Dad wrote:

I think you need to dial down the hostility a notch, and dial the reading comprehension up a notch. Were you to do that, you'd see that I was agreeing with your point, as this case proves that a clean Carfax is no guarantee that a car has not been twisted like a pretzel.

I don't doubt it, and did not dispute it.

I found mine useful for what it gave me - totals of mileage and where the car had been owned. Whether or not I can get that information from the dealer (as if a car dealer is a trustworthy Oracle of impartial and accurate information), I can also get it from the Carfax, so its utility for me in this matter is fairly inarguable.
Venger

seem to distrust are the people that load the information you paid for? We seem also to be arguing the fact that you may well have gotten less than you paid for. As long as you're happy and the seller is happy there should be no problem. Right Spud?

Ok, you guys. The manager of the Chevy body shop told me he has nothing to do with Carfax. He doesn't provide them information. He presumed it was the insurance company or DMV. Well, if the lady that wrecked the car doesn't fill out the DMV accident form that is required by law, well guess what, Carfax doesn't know. Also, if she wrecked the car on the first or second day after purchasing the car, it's not even registered yet.
So far I'm very happy with the new car. From Modesto to Fresno averaging 62 mph, I got 26.9 mpg according to the DIC. That's incredible. I'll check off the mileage and a tank of gas next time to verify accuracy.
Ed

And I'm sincerely glad you are. That was a strage story indeed.
However, I'm sorry you didn't get to bond properly with the 1st one. Adopting a Corvette is to me a commitment. :)
Having owned my 1968 since 1978, I'm very saddened that the major retrofit and overhaul it's about to get is likely the last time it's coming apart (at my own own hands) in my lifetime.
To say I'm very attached to that car is an understatement. There are times I love it, and times I love to hate it.... but never a time that I'd consider ever letting someone else own it. It was my first posession as an adult - and it will be my last. The first ten were *all* for fun.... (evil grin) The next 20 were utility.... This time it's for my legacy..............
-W

I was buying a used cross-over to haul stuff around - in the $20K range. Salesman said it was a one owner car and I proceeded. Later checked CarFax and the one owner was a car rental agency. Told the dealership the deal was off - they protested but relented. The words "disclosure" and "misleading" had some impact.
Bob BLUE C5 Virginia

So, when confronted they had no option but to make it good. Had you not had the tip from the service person, you might never have known. At least someone was honest. In sum, if they can take you for a ride they will and it does not matter whether the dealer is selling Chevys or Toyotas.