Frame Crack

Hi all
Took my 77 to an alignment shop today and the tech pointed out a small crack in the frame on the drivers side near the lower control arm and
coil spring. He says that he sees this a lot on the C3's and wouldn't do the alignment until I have it fixed. He wants $500 (Remove control arm, perform weld, align). Any suggestions on doing this myself? Type of welder, precautions, etc.? He recommended reinforcing the passenger side while I'm under there.
Thanks for the advice Dan
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

cracked and needs to be fixed. The R&R of the parts is not real difficult but be careful when reinstalling the spring. That can bite you if you don't watch it. It doesn't sound like you're an experienced welder. It that is the case you might be wise to farm that out. Lots of welding shops have portable rigs that will come to your house. Expect to pay the welder around $100. That along with the cost of the alignment would get you back on the road for less than half of the $500. Good luck, Don

You might want to find a reputable body shop that does frame repair and or has a frame machine who can do this work or reccomened a shop that can.
Or even better you may have a hot-rod fabricator in your area that this kind of work would be in their area of expertise... I personally don' t want just anyone welding on the frame of my vehicle. ----------- Elbert snipped-for-privacy@me.com