Fuel rail on '93 falling apart

Page 1 of 2
My '93 was running very poorly. I took it to my service guy who diagnosed a clogged fuel injector. He cleaned it, and the car ran well again for one day. I took it back in, and he saw that there was crud on
the intake for the injector. He then saw that the fuel line was filled with a hard material like sand. He removed the fuel rail, and cleaned it out. He also replaced the one injector. That took care of all the performance problem, and the car is running better than ever.
Since returning home, I have been getting a strong gasoline aroma in the garage, and now when driving. To be honest, the smell was there in the garage for a while, whenever I brought the car home from driving it.
He has now decided that the fuel rail has become porous, and that is causing the smell. I'm guessing that the crud hew removed was actually the rail material that became loose inside. I'm waiting for a replacement fuel rail, but it is stuck in a storm in Tennessee.
Has anyone run into this before? I've never heard of a problem like this. I'm wondering if I should replace the rail on the other side of the engine. Any comments or suggestions?
-- Jim

I'm an outboard mechanic that happens to own a Vette, I'm having trouble with the alcohol in todays gas causing fuel line troubles in older boats.
I know you don't have the same problem - but in general - when I replace 1 anything - I replace it's brother to avoid the same trouble next month. So I'd replace the other rail were it mine.
-W
.............I'm guessing that the crud hew removed was actually the rail material that became loose inside...........
I bet Toyota and Honda don't make their fuel rails to erode like that. Then you wonder why GM is going out of business. Sadly you can add this case to the list of GM Screw Ups brought to you by beancounters.

He hasn't said how many miles he has on this car, or what kind of usage it has seen over 16 years.
AJM '93 40th Anniversary coupe, 6 sp (both tops)
* - putting new C6-style rims on her on Monday
CardsFan wrote:

It is just under 70,000 miles. It was a low mileage cream puff that I bought in 98 for $19,000. It had 12,000 miles for the first 6 years. After that, it was a daily driver until I retired 3 years ago. Since then, it has returned to its former life as a low mileage cream puff. I've driven it more since getting the rails cleaned and seeing the power restored than I did for several months before that.
Mumbler of the Opinion wrote:

GM didn't make them to do it either. Any particular reason you bother to read and post to this group?
Because I love my 61 Corvette and can't believe why GM has done to America what is has done the last 30 years. Especially Roger Smith.

But does it love you?
-W
(I hear it's been having an affair with a Boxter while you were away on Truth Speaking engagements. )
Its having an affair with a ZR-1
Speaker of the Truth wrote:

What a retard. You are finding fault because a part failed after 16 years of exposure to gasoline and moisture. This does not count as a screw up at all.
My friend's 94 Honda Accord has 550,000 miles on it and never had the fuel rails errod. But then they don't allow beancounters and Honda to tell them how to make the fuel rails.

My stock '50 Chevy coupe has 673,921.4 miles on it and has never had breather oil changed or the fuel rail changed. The pool boy's step mothers boy friends lover has a 4 yard '55 Chevy dump truck with 2,000,002 miles on it and the motor has never been shut off. Followed your friend's Honda one day but had to pass it on a hill so he wouldn't have to slow down.
Ever think that his '93 may have set for some extended length of times and has had moisture in the fuel rails?
Your turn...................

50 Chevy --- fuel rail? Thought the blue flame six had a single throat carburetor with the mechanical fuel pump. At least that's how I remember that engine from the 50s.

That's what makes them so hard to change. Even more difficult is changing the oil on the dump truck without turning the engine off.
Actually the Chevrolet inline six was introduced in the thirties, just before I was born, and was phased out in 1963. The name Blue Flame Six was just that, a name and had more to do with what transmission was hooked on to the back end in the begining. Technically my '50 is not a Blue Flame Six because it is a standard shift, 3 on the tree.
Sorry, I thought the whole scenario was far fetched enough that it would also be recognizable as another yarn/urban legend.
A 50 Chevy most likely could go 600,000 miles. That was before the era of Roger Smith and all the other clown CEOs that had their heads up their asses.

remember
Six

Not hardly possible to happen on an engine that needed a valve grind at about 40k miles and babbited rod and crank bearings. Then there was the fiber timing gear, need I go on? You put was to much in what Michael Moore pukes out and to little to common sense about the days in which this all took place.
Some people need someone to blame for their own short comings.
Dad wrote:

Hmmm, thanks for correcting my recollection. I mistakenly thought that timing gear was a lay-up of linen and phenolic. -- pj

How well I remember -- during the War (WWII), I remember my mom's 39 black Chevolet sedan. I must have been about 5 at the time. This was in Port Elizabeth, South Africa,,, my Dad worked for Firestone at the time -- was sent there before WWII. The plant was a critical wartime industry as you can imagine. I personnally remember an early GMC pickup at the Firestone store in Akron when worked there during the summers in the late 50s. It was a three speed (I think) on the floor with the starter a pedal above the gas. Now that was a real truck... no frills there. GM was at its greatest in the 50s.

on
Come again.. ??? :)
-W
Can you send a picture of the stock 50 Chevy fuel rail?

fuel
them
on