Gel car batteries

I was in an auto parts store and in conversation, the gel batteries came up. Unfortunately I could buy a regular 36mos/84mos. battery for $85 (w/core) and the same gel was $200 (I guess with core also). Anyway around where I am, the average battery is good for 3 to 4 years (bakes in the hot sun... 95F typical summer day). Seems like this gel battery is not worth the money but any comments if I'm wrong and why? I must have had my head in the sand because I never heard of them and this auto parts person said he's had his for 2 years (which didn't help me decide since most batteries will do that easily around here).

Reply to
observer

Not an option for me, to many but not all of the people I know that paid the big money have had failures. Although we don't have the baking weather you speak of we do have -20° to +100° and I have a Delco stock battery in my truck that is 6 years old (watch it quit tonight).

Reply to
Dad

Rundown on Gel, AGM & conventional batts: <

Opinion: -- unlike airplanes and computers, most cars lack precise battery chargers. Like Dad, an alternator with lead-acid works for me.

-- pj

Reply to
pj

If you want your battery to last longer ? forget the gel battery and get a Battery Tender...

g'day

Reply to
'Key

I have a '98. Located in northern OH so we see all kinds of temps. Presently on my fist new battery. Guess that works out to 5+ years per battery. As a rule I *ALWAYS* trickle charge @ 90mA.