Gel car batteries

I was in an auto parts store and in conversation, the gel batteries came up. Unfortunately I could buy a regular 36mos/84mos. battery for $85 (w/core) and the same gel was $200 (I guess with core also).
Anyway around where I am, the average battery is good for 3 to 4 years (bakes in the hot sun... 95F typical summer day). Seems like this gel battery is not worth the money but any comments if I'm wrong and why? I must have had my head in the sand because I never heard of them and this auto parts person said he's had his for 2 years (which didn't help me decide since most batteries will do that easily around here).
<observer> wrote in message >I was in an auto parts store and in conversation, the gel batteries

Not an option for me, to many but not all of the people I know that paid the big money have had failures. Although we don't have the baking weather you speak of we do have -20 to +100 and I have a Delco stock battery in my truck that is 6 years old (watch it quit tonight).
--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51
observer wrote:

Rundown on Gel, AGM & conventional batts: < http://www.batterystuff.com/tutorial_battery.html#3 > Opinion: -- unlike airplanes and computers, most cars lack precise battery chargers. Like Dad, an alternator with lead-acid works for me.
-- pj
<observer> wrote in message >I was in an auto parts store and in conversation, the gel

If you want your battery to last longer ? forget the gel battery and get a Battery Tender... http://www.batterytender.com /
g'day
--
'Key