GM Cuts Effect Corvette Production?

Page 1 of 2
Just wondering if and how today's announced cuts would effect the C6 production line? Any news?

--

-

Didn't see Bowling Green listed on any of the maps, but then BG isn't producing any SUV's either!
SOME BAD HAT HARRY wrote:

Bob I wrote:

be increased overseas outsourcing of component production. Should be invisible in the finished product. ...PJ
Well, let's see.
Management screws up, makes wrong choices, builds cars no one wants. Few buy.
Chops productions, puts labor out of work, they go on unemployment.
Q1. Unemployed GM workers buy a.) more cars b.) fewer cars c.) no cars d.) no cars from the company that fired them
The trickle down effect of GM jobs being cut means that many small vendors will also have to make cuts, and let's go back to Q1. Or rather
Q2. Unemployed vendor employees buy a.) more cars b.) fewer cars c.) no cars d.) no cars from the company that got them fired
So 30,000 GM employees could translate into double that. And there is mention that much of the material sourcing will go overseas, so there could be even more than just 60,000 affected.
Wonder how many will NOT buy a Corvette now.
Of course, original question is how will it affect the C6 production line. Since by now, about 60% of the orders are in or more, there would have to be a major economic shutdown in this country to affect C6 production much at this point. Any impact will most likely occur on the 2007 model run, although the 2006 run may drop out a bit early.

to get back on our feet.
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------090005030500060705030804 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
SOME BAD HAT HARRY wrote:

have to fight it here!

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler

Outsourcing is probably expected to be directed to China. Perhaps the future is a Corvette assembled in Mexico with parts from China, VietNam etc, designed under a contract with Hyundai. Preposterous -- maybe not the way things seems to be going.

industry we all know and love.

My understanding is that there no cuts at the Bowling Green Kentucky production facility. What is not clear is the status of the C6 engine manufacturing plant in St. Catharines Ontario. There have been news releases that it will close in 2008, and I have also seen that it is untouched and had recently been upgraded??
On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 21:23:15 GMT, "SOME BAD HAT HARRY"

months and would hate to be making plans I can't keep. Good Holidays all around.

SOME BAD HAT HARRY wrote:

price won't go down. While SoCal sales aren't what I'd call brisk in comparison to foreign iron, there have been no red-tag sales on C6s.
Over last month, I've arm wrestled with three local Chevy dealers -- there was no maneuvering room on a 2005 or order for a 2006 for less than MSRP. I finally opted for an used '02 coupe. Paid about $ 3K more for it than I would have 12 months ago. Poor timing for a neat car!
PJ

Usually on any announced promotions from GM, a small blurb will say, "doesn't apply to Corvettes etc." GM is having a "red tag" sale or something now and I noticed that it DOES apply to vettes for once. Maybe clearing inventory for spring? I presently have an '87 with 18,000 which is already sold when I want to part with it. I'm going to put new tires on this summer, run it up to about 20,000 and then look to take advantage of my rearranged deal. It'll be fun to do the shopping. Here in the mid Atlantic states, you don't see a bunch of C6s but they are showing up.
message wrote:

wow !! 2K miles in seven months.. why not get something you will drive :-)
--
"Key"

Actually, the '87 was my first vette and the third car we have. It was definitely a fair weather car but does have some good mileage trips on it. It's blue and the saying goes, "the car comes out when the sky matches the paint." I wanted to take care of this one and did. The new one will be driven however. Just had all the hoses, liquids, belt etc replaced in the spring and the tires will be coming in a few months. My mechanic, who has always worked on the car and did the replacement last spring, will be buying it. There's something to be said when the guy working on your car is its future owner. I'll be driving the new one, that's for sure.

I can't imagine someone NOT buying that car. An '87 with only 20,000 miles? It should still have the new car smell almost.

creases. I have total paper work including the "FOR SALE" ad that was in the local paper in '87 along with the same ad the next week with a "SOLD" across the line drawing of it. It's also has charcoal grey leather seats which I have been told were not put into many vettes that year or later. Usually, it was black, blue, or a grey fabric. I need to do some research on that one.

I have owned my 87 since 89 and have 135k km including one trip coast to coast. If anything I feel I am underutilizing it but also have a midyear that also is fun to USE (mainly for shorter trips due to cost of fuel). I am having a hard time understanding why you feel the need for a newer version of a car that you are underutilizing. The car you have sounds like a cherry example of a grand car that is probably just starting to appreciate in value.
I would respectfully advise you to use the money you would use to upgrade and take some holidays and go for the road trip of your life. Set yourself a goal like crossing every pass through the Rockies, touch the four corners of the country or go to the end of Alaska. Life is too short to watch these Grand Touring cars get old in your garage. If you are in SoCal, the Alaska via the Rockies great divide and return via the Inside Passage ferry is a natural. Just make sure you take enough time to stop and smell the roses.
Happy trails,
Very true. 15 years ago, I finally did the trip a friend and I had planned after watching Easy Rider at a film fest at SIU-E. I jumped on the bike, headed out west out Route 66. From there, I rode the Pacific Coast Highway on and off to Washington, cut back across through Yellowstone, and back home. I was gone for 8 weeks and they were the greatest.
I'd like to repeat it in a Vette, but I don't have the 8 weeks. Instead, I hit a road trip that is doable in a weekend occasionally. Drive it, Zora didn't build them to look at them.

drove the '04 from home, to the Black Hills, Rushmore, Cody, Yellowstone, Jackson Hole, Portland, Washington, down the coast, then back up and went across to Salt Lack City. After that I just cruised on day trips like Cheyenne, St Louis, and Nashville, until I got to South Carolina. Stayed with my son for awhile and then on up to Mooresville to see the NASCAR layouts. Hit some more state parks and up through Kitty Hawk and then headed back home.
Started with 380 miles on the odometer and returned 5 weeks later with 8,500. Got everything in order at home and went back to South Carolina and worked on my son's new house with him for a week. All together I had driven it 13,800 miles in 8 months and was down at the factory with it to watch them build my '05 the last week in Sept. Took delivery of the '05 and headed to South Carolina again. It's now 14 months later and it has 14,000 miles on it and been in 14 states. In the mean time I put over 2,000 miles on the '72 and a few on my van.
There is a down side to this and it's age. In 1991 I made a 3 week run through the mid-section of the states and was allot more comfortable than I was last year. Time is your enemy.
--

Life is a sexually transmitted condition that is always fatal.

Marriage and kids are my enemy. Can't squeeze all of them in the Corvette and can't leave them home. wouldn't have a home, or cars, to come back to if I did. Home is where you hang your hat, but losing the cars???