GM Cuts Effect Corvette Production?

Just wondering if and how today's announced cuts would effect the C6 production line? Any news?

Reply to
SOME BAD HAT HARRY

Bob I

Based on the CEO's news conference a couple of months back, there will be increased overseas outsourcing of component production. Should be invisible in the finished product. ...PJ

Reply to
PJ

Reply to
JoeC

Thanks all who weighed in on this one. I'm planning a new C6 in about 18 months and would hate to be making plans I can't keep. Good Holidays all around.

Reply to
SOME BAD HAT HARRY

May be too soon to tell. Yesterday afternoon (PDT), one of the financial reporters on XM's CNN channel 'clarified' that some of the announced closure sites might not be actual closures but might undergo 'work shift' adjustments. So, some of these plants (like St.C in Canada) might continue partially shuttered or on a curtailed schedule (never efficient.)

With 20 minutes left on today's market, the "clarification" erased only

10% of yesterday's stock gain and leaves GM maneuvering room--while they wait for local politicians to come running with offers of tax breaks. Last week's restatement of prior (IIRC 2003) earnings was more somber paint on a sorry landscape. Painting bleak pictures won't send anyone to jail under Sarbanes-Oxley. I think we'll have to stay tuned--I'm not sure that GM is really serious about cleaning up its act--still looks like a "bean-counter" & executive committee dance to me. The ball is clearly in the court where the Unions, Congress, administration and local politicos are hanging out.

PJ

Reply to
PJ

I think the C6 will be alive and well in 2007. Save your cash, the price won't go down. While SoCal sales aren't what I'd call brisk in comparison to foreign iron, there have been no red-tag sales on C6s.

Over last month, I've arm wrestled with three local Chevy dealers -- there was no maneuvering room on a 2005 or order for a 2006 for less than MSRP. I finally opted for an used '02 coupe. Paid about $ 3K more for it than I would have 12 months ago. Poor timing for a neat car!

PJ

Reply to
PJ

Usually on any announced promotions from GM, a small blurb will say, "doesn't apply to Corvettes etc." GM is having a "red tag" sale or something now and I noticed that it DOES apply to vettes for once. Maybe clearing inventory for spring? I presently have an '87 with 18,000 which is already sold when I want to part with it. I'm going to put new tires on this summer, run it up to about 20,000 and then look to take advantage of my rearranged deal. It'll be fun to do the shopping. Here in the mid Atlantic states, you don't see a bunch of C6s but they are showing up.

Reply to
SOME BAD HAT HARRY

"SOME BAD HAT HARRY" wrote in message news:QWLgf.7$ snipped-for-privacy@monger.newsread.com...

wow !!

2K miles in seven months.. why not get something you will drive :-)
Reply to
"Key

The main thing I see hurting the C6 production is the bumping that will take place. Some of those that have to move to keep a job may not put out as good a days work as before. Also the penny squeezers will be buying more off shore low bidder parts and assemblies that will go through some new vendor pains. The corporation I worked for threw allot of good money after bad decisions before enough sales were lost and the problem corrected, brought back to the USA. Some of those problems took me across the pond a few time and I can't believe any rational person would expect to get quality for those shops I was in. Bad things happened when they ask me to go to Mexico, almost lost my job but I didn't go to the dump. Many good people down there but the upper class is killing them slowly, blood suckers comes to mind.

I had $3,500 off MSRP for the C6 and my dealer thought he was going to have to eat my old '04. It was in a number of auctions and always came back home, but then the price started up. When it peaked in the spring it sold for a couple of thousand more than he was asking the fall before. Not sure after this fall I'd even consider a new C6 or anything else GM puts together.

Reply to
Dad

Actually, the '87 was my first vette and the third car we have. It was definitely a fair weather car but does have some good mileage trips on it. It's blue and the saying goes, "the car comes out when the sky matches the paint." I wanted to take care of this one and did. The new one will be driven however. Just had all the hoses, liquids, belt etc replaced in the spring and the tires will be coming in a few months. My mechanic, who has always worked on the car and did the replacement last spring, will be buying it. There's something to be said when the guy working on your car is its future owner. I'll be driving the new one, that's for sure.

Reply to
SOME BAD HAT HARRY

I see your point. I'm hoping that GM understands that Corvette owners will settle for nothing but the best quality, which is what got the US vs the rest of the world debate started years ago anyway. I just need another 18 months. Then again, maybe if production quality becomes a problem, I'll look for a 2005 or 06.

Reply to
SOME BAD HAT HARRY

Well, let's see.

Management screws up, makes wrong choices, builds cars no one wants. Few buy.

Chops productions, puts labor out of work, they go on unemployment.

Q1. Unemployed GM workers buy a.) more cars b.) fewer cars c.) no cars d.) no cars from the company that fired them

The trickle down effect of GM jobs being cut means that many small vendors will also have to make cuts, and let's go back to Q1. Or rather

Q2. Unemployed vendor employees buy a.) more cars b.) fewer cars c.) no cars d.) no cars from the company that got them fired

So 30,000 GM employees could translate into double that. And there is mention that much of the material sourcing will go overseas, so there could be even more than just 60,000 affected.

Wonder how many will NOT buy a Corvette now.

Of course, original question is how will it affect the C6 production line. Since by now, about 60% of the orders are in or more, there would have to be a major economic shutdown in this country to affect C6 production much at this point. Any impact will most likely occur on the 2007 model run, although the 2006 run may drop out a bit early.

Reply to
Tom in Missouri

I can't imagine someone NOT buying that car. An '87 with only 20,000 miles? It should still have the new car smell almost.

Reply to
Tom in Missouri

I use Lexol in the leather a few times each year and there are barely any creases. I have total paper work including the "FOR SALE" ad that was in the local paper in '87 along with the same ad the next week with a "SOLD" across the line drawing of it. It's also has charcoal grey leather seats which I have been told were not put into many vettes that year or later. Usually, it was black, blue, or a grey fabric. I need to do some research on that one.

Reply to
SOME BAD HAT HARRY

I remember the last time we heard "trickle down," it took us about 15 years to get back on our feet.

Reply to
SOME BAD HAT HARRY

LOL Maybe GM is fighting economic hard time over there so they don't have to fight it here!

Reply to
RicSeyler

Outsourcing is probably expected to be directed to China. Perhaps the future is a Corvette assembled in Mexico with parts from China, VietNam etc, designed under a contract with Hyundai. Preposterous -- maybe not the way things seems to be going.

Reply to
TWW

It's the way of the world but let's hope it doesn't settle on the fiberglass industry we all know and love.

Reply to
SOME BAD HAT HARRY

snip

I have owned my 87 since 89 and have 135k km including one trip coast to coast. If anything I feel I am underutilizing it but also have a midyear that also is fun to USE (mainly for shorter trips due to cost of fuel). I am having a hard time understanding why you feel the need for a newer version of a car that you are underutilizing. The car you have sounds like a cherry example of a grand car that is probably just starting to appreciate in value.

I would respectfully advise you to use the money you would use to upgrade and take some holidays and go for the road trip of your life. Set yourself a goal like crossing every pass through the Rockies, touch the four corners of the country or go to the end of Alaska. Life is too short to watch these Grand Touring cars get old in your garage. If you are in SoCal, the Alaska via the Rockies great divide and return via the Inside Passage ferry is a natural. Just make sure you take enough time to stop and smell the roses.

Happy trails,

Reply to
Private