GM Cuts Effect Corvette Production?

Page 2 of 2

Somehow I doubt that your family is your enemy but it sure seemed like mine was every now and then. Fully understood that, so when the kids were home I bought a motor home and did a loop around America with the family. Did it in the middle of the '73/'74 gas crunch, expense hurt like hell. Then sold the motor home for more than I paid for it to help pay for the trip as the gas crunch loosened, just luck. The last Corvette had been gone for 8 years.
They still talk about their trip out west and some of the things they did and people they met. As a boy growing up on a poor farm I never had a vacation with my parents. One of my goals was to get my kids out to see what I hadn't seen. They'll never forget the foot thick layer of beer cans in the park pool at the Cheyenne rodeo, we were parked 4 per stall.
OTOH I'll never forget finding out years later how many vehicles they mooned or what the signs said that they held up in the back windows. I now have a clear understanding as to why all of those vehicles passing me would give us a funny wave. Also it explains why they seemed to know the girls that stopped at the same park one night. Great time in my life and I found out about it allot later. Parts of it were hell while living the day to day grind.
Good luck helps.
--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51
Dad wrote:

Yeah verily !
PJ

The main thing I see hurting the C6 production is the bumping that will take place. Some of those that have to move to keep a job may not put out as good a days work as before. Also the penny squeezers will be buying more off shore low bidder parts and assemblies that will go through some new vendor pains. The corporation I worked for threw allot of good money after bad decisions before enough sales were lost and the problem corrected, brought back to the USA. Some of those problems took me across the pond a few time and I can't believe any rational person would expect to get quality for those shops I was in. Bad things happened when they ask me to go to Mexico, almost lost my job but I didn't go to the dump. Many good people down there but the upper class is killing them slowly, blood suckers comes to mind.
I had $3,500 off MSRP for the C6 and my dealer thought he was going to have to eat my old '04. It was in a number of auctions and always came back home, but then the price started up. When it peaked in the spring it sold for a couple of thousand more than he was asking the fall before. Not sure after this fall I'd even consider a new C6 or anything else GM puts together.
--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

18
price
comparison
than
it
take
good
Mexico,
there
have
home,
I see your point. I'm hoping that GM understands that Corvette owners will settle for nothing but the best quality, which is what got the US vs the rest of the world debate started years ago anyway. I just need another 18 months. Then again, maybe if production quality becomes a problem, I'll look for a 2005 or 06.
JoeC wrote:

May be too soon to tell. Yesterday afternoon (PDT), one of the financial reporters on XM's CNN channel 'clarified' that some of the announced closure sites might not be actual closures but might undergo 'work shift' adjustments. So, some of these plants (like St.C in Canada) might continue partially shuttered or on a curtailed schedule (never efficient.)
With 20 minutes left on today's market, the "clarification" erased only 10% of yesterday's stock gain and leaves GM maneuvering room--while they wait for local politicians to come running with offers of tax breaks. Last week's restatement of prior (IIRC 2003) earnings was more somber paint on a sorry landscape. Painting bleak pictures won't send anyone to jail under Sarbanes-Oxley. I think we'll have to stay tuned--I'm not sure that GM is really serious about cleaning up its act--still looks like a "bean-counter" & executive committee dance to me. The ball is clearly in the court where the Unions, Congress, administration and local politicos are hanging out.
PJ