GM Employees Overpaid

Thanks to the unions and their buddy Obama.
http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/why-millionaire-wants-autoworkers-pay-cut-160603932.html

"uncle_vito" wrote in message
Thanks to the unions and their buddy Obama.
http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/why-millionaire-wants-autoworkers-pay-cut-160603932.html
_____________
So you know, your ignorance becomes more astonishing every time you make a post here. Congratulations, I guess.
AJM -- '93 40th Anniversary coupe, 6 sp (both tops)

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/why-millionaire-wants-autoworkers-pay-cut-160603932.html
I guess I am smart enough not to buy any crap GM product. GM quit making great Corvettes in 1974. How many times have you had your '93 in the shop. Actually '93 was likely pretty good. It is the millenial models that are the reliability nightmare. I rest my case.

With out a doubt the 1974 Corvette was among the worst Corvettes built second only to the mid year junk. Since you brought up the '74 tell me the one thing it had that the government required that failed and was removed from production the next year. GM as well as the other companies spent tons of money to comply with their stupid requirement and it failed in one year. Since I have totally rebuilt the '64 and the '72 they are fair drivers before that the '63 I bought new needed the transmission rebuilt about every 800 miles or so, the frame was .75 inch out of tolerance and wiped tires off in 8/10,000 miles, fit was .50 inch to rubbing of the paint when you opened the door. Of course your '64 is great, as a planter in the garage, why not get it out and drive it and see how it actually survives?
Owned all generations and worked on the same and now getting my taste of working on off shore designs that my grand kids think are better. My judgement on that is still out as I'm finding parts I'm replacing are made by the same companies across the brands, foreign and domestic. So the biggest difference is how they are designed and screwed together as I see it.
To back up some of your reason for what you say lets hear some details of what you have had as experience to make such a statement.
You may think you're smart but from where I sit you are more negative that smart and post only provocative statements to irritate or provoke.
Times in the shop for repair- '92 once to replace German made ABS computer 92,000 '97 once to reflash computer to comply with EPA at 40,000 2004 once, right rear wheel seal, made in Mexico 10,000 miles 2005 once to replace switch made in France and a hatch strut made in Japan, has a recall right now for another German designed and built ABS BCM, 42,000.
together. Folks buying American these days seem to be preferential to Ford.
Those "horrible" pre 75 Vettes are worth at least what was paid for them. Flaws and all.
Snip

I do hope you understand the timed value of money, those Corvettes are almost as good but not quite. The big brake '64 did do much better but there are only about 29 of those in circulation, if that many. Cost new about $4600, that money in a good account is now worth about between $30,000 and $40,000 without being in stocks and without taking into consideration storage, restoration, and insurance as a minus. Most cars are not an investment but a tax shelter and ol Uncle Sam is now wise to that
Whether I'm the "bright one" or not I had nothing to do with how well the Corvettes I've owned were built.
As for you to be able to determine that the GM workers are over paid I doubt you have that ability. After all you're the one that can't buy a car unless Consumers Report (snicker) tells you to. Lets see, how did that go? Buy a used car because it has the highest used resale value.

Where do you live, Dad? Midwest? Here in So Cal, you are almost laughed at for driving a GM car. I would criticize any car that sells new for over $45k that has the reliability record of a Corvette. I am not looking for perfection here, just for GM and the Chevy dealers at least to try and be better than Ford, Chrysler and other marques.
GM workers ARE overpaid when you consider the education needed to hold their jobs (not even high school). And with the two tiered system, the unions have basically thrown newer workers "under the bus".

I expect that from the land of fruits and nuts. Thankfully your criticism will not change much in this great country.
Got a cite to back up your claim of the Corvettes reliability other than one from your state of confusion? On second thought never mind, you don't have that information anyhow just a need to criticize those that may not be doing what you think they should and still make more money than you do.
Dad wrote:

*Here* in SoCal where I live nobody has any issues with GM cars - particularly Corvettes. We laugh at people driving Priuses...Pri-i...and "not so smart" cars...
--
- Rufus

You never mentioned where you live. I just see stories of windows not going up, seats not moving back. TPS systems messed up and the dealer is clueless. In my Corvette Club two members got new Vettes under the lemon law. Was embarassing our dealer sponsor of the trouble they were having. How about keys that will not start the car. Electrical gremlins with a simple, but unknown cause that the dealer offers to fix with a new ECM and $2400 bill.
I actually have more money that most members in my club. That is because I do not pi$$ my money away on cars that require expensive insurance, expensive upkeep, expensive registration and expensive lost money opportunity, not to mention depreciation That $50k that the Corvette costs can be doubled in a few years on AAPL stock or Gold.
I drive two to 4 year old used cars and drive the wheels off of them. I do not spend any money unless it serves to increase the value of assets I hold. My house is 25 years old but bought new. My prop taxes and mortgage payments are insanely low. The equity in my house, alone, could buy me 10 ZR-1's.
I bought my 64 when my trust fund was concluded at the age of 35. True, stocks, gold, guns and other investments have done better, but the midyear is a keeper from the days when GM was truely a marque of excellence. Besides diversification is the name of the game. I could sell my 64 and get the cash value of my whole life insurance and realize a quick $100k. I do not need that money but it is nice to know it is there.
By not buying a new Corvette, I could retire now if I wanted to. I really doubt that truely wealthy folks are interested in a Corvette. They didn't get wealthy by spending their money that way.

Wow, all that and you never touched on the only question I ask. Where do you get the information that proves the Corvette reliability is sub par? From your description of the problems I'd say you have a piss poor dealer involved plus my C6 has no key to start it. By the way the collectors of such information refer to it as dependability, not reliability. They also state that the Lexus has TPS problems, feature that, must be the way those overpaid GM workers put them together.
You could be retired? I'm rolling up on my tenth year of retirement and loving it. Oh, by the way, my entire insurance bill for 3 Corvettes for a year (not 6 months) is $780. I haven't paid income taxes in 9 years since I took a buy out settlement. I don't have to buy plates for my 2 older Corvettes and the C6 cost $48, there are some people that live in states that throw good money after bad.The mid west where I live is no exception, but not so much as others. With my age and our homestead act my property taxes are under $100 a month, paid for in 1985.
I can't say I have more money than the other club members as one sold 3 of his 9 at St Charles for a mil six and his '57 fuelie a year later got a paltry $135,000.
Now that we know how high we can piss tell us where you can show us just how sub par the Corvette is. It also wouldn't hurt to show us how you know that GM employees are over paid.
Your state........49th worst run state.
Debt per Capita: $9,228 (39th) Unemployment Rate: 12.4% (48th) Home Price Change (06 09): -28.3% (49th) Median Household Income: $58,931 (9th)
My state.........31st....sad
Debt per Capita: $5,948 (14th) Unemployment Rate: 10.1% (41st) Home Price Change (06 09): -0.4% (37th) Median Household Income: $45,395 (33rd)
Look at that, 28.3% lost home value, you might have to knock that back to 6 new ZR1's.
While I was looking at these stats I see you beat us out by 12 spots in violent crime. The good thing is that losie-anna and Flo-da are still worse than you in the crime category.

I hate living in Calif. I just live here because I was born here and do not know any better. Nice to know that if LA gets nuked by terrorists, I can always live a nice lifestyle in the midwest (although I would pick the Oregon coast).
You talk about Dependability. Sounds like that crook JD Power. My idea of dependability is NO returns to the dealer. Ever. Maintenance done by me or the local mom and pop. I used to always buy GM. Then in the 80's I owned the biggest GM POS that ever existed. A Chev Blazer. Then I bought a Toyota 4 Runner and had NO reliability issues. I never realized that you could actually buy a car like this. I then realize the crap I had been driving from GM ever since I was 16. Many of the faults had to have been there at the factory. My guess is that in the interest of profits, they just assumed that the dealer would fix the problem if the owner was not astute enough to notice the defect.
I like the midwest. You likely have it made from a cost of living standpoint. You also have a larger tolerance for tinkering with late model cars than I do. I like your older vettes, but will have to pass on the hassles of owning a C5 or C6. GM is much more of a presence in the midwest. Likely in the form of trucks.
I fully expect our country to continue to be in a recession and for it to get worse. Deflation will be the name of the game where the longer you wait, the cheaper houses and cars will get. I am totally surprised at the cost of some low end Chevys such as the Cruze. Stupid name with looks that reminds me of a rental car. Get the bow tie emblem off of Chevys and watch their desireablilty ris. Ever wonder why there is no bow tie or Chevy name on the Corvette? They do not want to cheapen the marque. The Cruze is $18k! That is relatively dirt cheap. In fact, that is approximately the same amount a new C6 depreciates the minute it is driven off the lot (maybe $12k is more exact).

So your view of the sub par Corvette is antidotal by you and you have nothing to back it up except your negative outlook?
You also tend to talk about everything except the subject at hand. Depreciation does not get as bad as you say unless you are some of the poor rubes that pay asking price, it's the taxes that you pay for them weather they are new or used that is a total loss. I may have lost 12G's by now on my C6 but I've also had seven years use out of it.
The Chevrolet truck I drive was purchased before I retired, oil, filter, and belt and I did put on a new set of shocks and tires, the rubber just got to hard to be safe. Good tread but had started to ride a bit funny in the rain, never been aligned or back to the dealer, eleven years old this month. Pulled car trailer and hauled more stuff to SC and MI than any three families should own plus hunting trips to CO. TX. KS. and GA. The last one I owned for 18 years and never saw a dealer, another Chevrolet built by those over paid GM workers.
The '78 Impala I owned turned 99k as I drove it home after putting on new tires (Uniroyal at that and no, I don't even believe that yet). That one I did have to change the cam at 110k because of the hot spot in the valve train caused by the Californicate emission requirements pushed into effect before the research was complete.
I really don't care what you drive, where you live, or how much money you have. What does touch my senses is how negative you seem to be, that is something I can live without. The few people that do come to this site do so because they may have a problem with their Corvette. To that end there are people on here that can and do help. What do you have to offer?

My 2006 Chevy 2500HD pickup has a squeak in the idler pulley and it only has 106K miles on it. Damn crap.
PDDeen
PDDeen wrote:

...my '92 GMC Jimmy has over 200K on it and could use a new headliner...
...and I could stand to put new seat covers in my '87 Vette, but just the driver's side really. Guess I better keep weather eye on my 2008 Z06...it could go foul any minute.
--
- Rufus

On 12/18/2011 02:56 AM, uncle_vito wrote:

My C-6 is the second GM car that I have owned. The first one being a C-4 for five years. Very reliable.
My wife has had Buick Regals (3 of them) for the last 15 years. Two weeks ago had her first repair, a water leak around the water pump.
Personally I would not give two cents for any pre C-4.
J. D. Powers put the C-4 and C-5 at the top of there list for fifteen years. Have not seen there data in the last 7 years. Buick Regal were always in the top 5.
Anyway, what does that have to do with an employee’s pay?

That explains why the basic model new Corvette took such a huge jump in price over the course of a couple years.