GPS Nav in 2008

Any thoughts about the GPS/Nav option in a 2008? I have one on order. Meantime I've been trying to download/read the manual to become familiar with the options available before the car arrives (truth be told I'm chomping at the bit and I figured that perhaps this might help me make it through the wait). I have not been able to find out much about the GPS/Nav unit, how it works, how you program it, what options are available, etc. Any pointers would be helpful.

Thanks.

Reply to
Andrew DeFaria

Beware. I have a 2007 Cad and the GPS navigation sys. isn't worth a plug nickle - and it was a $2,000.00 option.

Borrowed my sons $300.00 unit and it's good compared to the GM unit. The big problem with the GM unit is that it can't find addresses and streets that have been around for well over 20 years.

My thinking is that the data based on a CD is not at all up to date. I'm working with my dealer on this problem.

Andrew DeFaria wrote:

Reply to
John Smith

Well considering that the order was already placed and this was part of the order, the above doesn't help me at all...

Sounds like a data problem. My assumption is, and I believe I heard that one needs to periodically update the data CD. I also assume that I'd be starting off with up to date data.

Then again I was really looking for the manual or an explanation of it's features - not just vague griping...

Reply to
Andrew DeFaria

His is a 2007, how much more up to date does a 20 year old address need to be?

$2000? I'll buy a better portable GPS unit for 1/4 the price and put the other $1500 in to the gas tank...

Well considering that the order was already placed and this was part of the order, the above doesn't help me at all...

Borrowed my sons $300.00 unit and it's good compared to the GM unit. The big problem with the GM unit is that it can't find addresses and streets that have been around for well over 20 years.

My thinking is that the data based on a CD is not at all up to date. I'm working with my dealer on this problem.

Sounds like a data problem. My assumption is, and I believe I heard that one needs to periodically update the data CD. I also assume that I'd be starting off with up to date data.

Then again I was really looking for the manual or an explanation of it's features - not just vague griping...

Reply to
My Name Is Nobody

While his hardware may be a 2007 we don't know what data CD he is using. I would hope it would also be a 2007 but I don't know. Then again I'd suspect that even up to the minute data CDs might not have even 20 year old addresses. All maps have errors and faulty data in them. Google maps, for instance, still can't find my exact address and it's about as up to date as any other.

However, still, the age of the data or gripes was not the question I posed now was it?

I would think that a portable GPS would not be as integrated (BTW I believe the GPS/NAV was $1700 - not $2000 but close enough).

This weekend I was at an arts festival and they has some Infinity's all with GPS systems. I played with them for a while and they were quite nice. Interestingly one could type in an address and as I did certain keys would become unavailable. I later figured out that they were unavailable because based on my input so far, the GPS/NAV system determined that they no longer applied. That was weird but it seemed to work well nonetheless. I didn't try the voice activation though. And the integration with everything else including options settings, radio, etc. was well done. How is it on the vette?

And that's more of what I was looking for. First, for the manual so I could just read about it's features and operations by myself. But also for experience in *using* the thing not simply bitching that it's data was old or that you can get a portable one cheaper. I mean how does that help me?

Reply to
Andrew DeFaria

$1500 in to the gas tank...

Heck I would Keep the entire $2,000 in the bank....and IF I got lost I'd stop and buy a cup of Joe and ask directions...

I admit I have a hard time asking directions BUT no way no how is spending even $500 bucks for a GPS worth the money....

Bob G.

Reply to
Bob G.

I have a Garmin Nuvi handheld that I use in my '04 coupe while my wife has a built-in GM unit in her '05 Cadillac.

Both offer similar features that can search by address or by one of thousands of pre-stored "points of interest" ranging from gas stations, restaurants, shopping malls, hotels, etc. The Garmin does seem to have more of these than the GM unit. The Garmin also allows for easy updating via the internet as they periodically post updates to firmware, maps and features. The GM unit requires the purchase of a new DVD to get the same type of upgrades.

The GM unit will play DVD's (while the car is parked; not while moving). Not sure if that is a major plus, but it is an obvious difference.

With both of mine I have not found any errors in the maps, not found a location I was looking for. Having the Nav systems has been very handy, especially when on trips. For those who are directionally challenged (my wife included) it is an invaluable addition.

As to the money spent, the in-dash just adds more value to the car at time of resale. How many of us, when looking for our cars (or for a new car to add to the stable) look for the with the best combination of low miles, most options and the right drivetrain combination? Having the Nav will be a plus.

As for the initial cost ... it won't hurt near as much after the first few payments! :-)

Reply to
MikeSo

other $1500 in to the gas tank...

If GM is anything like the Lexus SUV my friend has they want an absolutely crazy amount of money for the updated NAv CDs also.....

Reply to
Ric Seyler

One thing I'm seeing, or I guess missing, is apparently there is no Bluetooth integration with things like phones. That's a shame. It would have been nice...

Reply to
Andrew DeFaria

But I thought you asked for people's thoughts and now you don't want them unless they suit you ????

Reply to
observer

On or about Tue, 4 Dec 2007 15:52:41 -0800 (PST), Andrew DeFaria wrote or did cause to be written:

No Bluetooth and no IPod. An Aveo has an IPod connector!!! :[ But MP3 makes up for it a little. If you choose to make MP3 discs, there are several gotcha's. Variable Bit Rate plays but is flakey. Filenames are 30 character total and not 32 as the manual says and no special characters. Displays come from ID3 version 1.x tags while Windows and Macs want to produce ID3 version 2.x tags that are not readable in the car. And Windows Media Plays says it will make MP3 discs but the car won't read them. You need a program that makes real MP3 discs such as Nero or ITunes.

Since it is a touch screen, you might want to consider a cover to protect the screen. Nushield.com makes one for it. Inexpensive insurance and it doesn't change operation at all.. Doesn't help that much with the glare problem if you have a vert or coupe with transparent top.

Reply to
Dale

Again (for the dense among you), vague griping was not requested - thoughts yes - vague gripping no. IOW surprisingly enough I was looking for information - not bitching. And even above I did say "I was really looking for...". Did you not see/get that or are you just being argumentative? Cause if you want an argument I'd be happy to oblige....

Reply to
Andrew DeFaria

Grow up.

Reply to
observer

Wow. I guess you really told me! I mean such a sophisticated, intelligent and well thought out response!! I'm shocked!!! I mean how can I argue with that? Well I'll try...

Did it ever occur to your little pea brain there sonny that 1) I am grown up already, 2) I was asking for information - something a grown up seeks and 3) griping and bitching are the dominion of immature, non-grown up (actually not matured yet - age is not always a sign of maturity or intellect) people?

Probably not. I mean after all you don't even have a real name yet!

Reply to
Andrew DeFaria

It's because of people like you I choose to keep my real name off the net but you already knew that and thanks for making my previous post look correct.

Reply to
observer