happy ending, corvette cones back

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060118/ap_on_fe_st/corvette_comes_back

I'm really happy for the guy to have gotten his car back. It must have been quite a shock to have gotten that phone call from the cops about a car that was stolen so long ago. Just his luck too, 'cuz if he'd had theft insurance he'd have gotten a check then and the insurance company who paid off the claim would have gotten the car. It's worth way more than $6k now. ;-) But it does leave a lingering question in my mind. I'm assuming that the car has been bouncing around here in the US for the last 37 years. Surely somebody had registered it and drove it sometime in that time, and it would appear that the DMV never once checked the VIN to see if it was a stolen car. Surely in today's digital society, a VIN number check is only mouse click away. Obviously the port of Long Beach could and did do such a thing. Why didn't the DMV? Funny they don't mention anything about the DMV in the news story.
hmmm.....
TomC

ALSO the car looked pristine in the TV interview, it was in the background and they showed him sitting in it. Where has it been ? is my question. That would make a great follow up stroy. Of course if it was bouncing from owner to owner lots more DMV questions would need to be addressed. And what about who owned it at the time, or has it been stored for 37 years ?
kickstart

Saw that on FNC yesterday. Cool!
robrjt wrote:

--