He's dead, Jim

This newsgroup. Just like Government Motors and the overpriced, unreliable, Corvette.

Lemmings keep buying though. GM muppets.

Reply to
uncle_vito

Even lemmings have asshole, thanks for covering that aspect for the Muppets.

On the Corvette side of your drivel, when you're satisfied with your car, even if it is the lowly Corvette, what's to talk about?

Just got back from a 1,400 mile trip and turned in 29.9 calculated miles per gallon with 10% Ethanol in it. But alas the last tank only got 28.7 and the one partial tank in-between got a solid 32, (2008 miles) average that out if you want the overall average. I'm happy with that kind of return while averaging 56.1 miles per hour overall.

If you drive a tin trash car you can go lurk on a site that have owners of real cars to get your jollies.

Ever notice the Jap junk fart factories with the shopping cart handle spoiler, with 10, 15, and even 40 HP stickers need something to aspire to, like you do?

Reply to
Dad

LOL! Dad, it's hard to convince the non-believers that can only think about fun cars and drool over them in magazines.

Friends are amazed when I refer to my 2000 Coupe as "my economy car." Our two daily drivers are Hondas (Odyssey and Accord) and the Corvette gets better highway miles than either of them. They are close, but no cigar. No need to run them down either, the Hondas are both great rides but they aren't Corvettes,

With identical insurance coverage on all three, the Corvette is also the cheapest of the lot to insure.

Just did a 1,500 mile trip from the Chicago area down to Bowling Green and eastward (taking in the Bourbon Trail) and averaged just a bit (27.7) under 28mpg.

Overall, what's not to like with figures like that for a car that will take you from Zero to "Oh shit!" in five seconds or so?

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

At $538 a tire to keep the rear of my C6 under me I seldom lay out the "WOW" takeoffs. Now on the other hand my trip was at night through the Smokies along the Pigeon river on I-40, I'm sure there was some CB chatter along the line of "what hell was that?" Plus a few snoozing driver on the straight aways that had a 100 MPH+ fly by wake them up. Only one black Hondo and a silver Mustang tried to keep up for a few miles. The other 30 minutes of my drive I tried to keep it sane. ;-)

Actually I'm not like that or do I think I tend be condescending when I reply to ol Vinny, if he just had anything positive to say we'd be fine.

He is dead though Jim, my cussin Vinny shot him.

Reply to
Dad

Even lemmings have asshole, thanks for covering that aspect for the Muppets.

On the Corvette side of your drivel, when you're satisfied with your car, even if it is the lowly Corvette, what's to talk about?

Just got back from a 1,400 mile trip and turned in 29.9 calculated miles per gallon with 10% Ethanol in it. But alas the last tank only got 28.7 and the one partial tank in-between got a solid 32, (2008 miles) average that out if you want the overall average. I'm happy with that kind of return while averaging 56.1 miles per hour overall.

I imagine that's the 6 speed working for you. I recall the 71 454 I had years ago only made around 16 and it had a 3.08 rear. In fact, I only get 32 or so in my S2000 if I keep it out of the VTEC motoring along around 70. That I find hard to do. Does the Vette take premium.

If you drive a tin trash car you can go lurk on a site that have owners of real cars to get your jollies.

Ever notice the Jap junk fart factories with the shopping cart handle spoiler, with 10, 15, and even 40 HP stickers need something to aspire to, like you do?

Reply to
tww1491

Snip

My main gripe about the stick is my knees and traffic jams, not fun.

I'm headed into the down hill side of the '70s and will never let that slow me down if at all possible.

Not trying to be a smart ass here but......

I love it!!

Reply to
Dad

BTW what century is GM going to put Variable Valve Timing and Direct Injection into a Vette? Likely never as long as lemmings keep buying this crap. It is an embarassment that GM still does not offer this in what is considered one of its flagship cars.

At least they are putting high technology in Cadillac as GM realizes that American car owners are catching up to the fact that Cadillac has been behind the times in technology for years. Corvette is still selling, so no need to offer state of the art technology here yet until the muppets finally catch on and quit buying.

Hopefully Cadillac and Corvette will begin to attract buyers younger than 70 and with more than a high school education.

Reply to
uncle_vito

Snip

You need to brush up on some stats boy, GM already has VT, you've been told that before. Honda Odyssey has more technology in its engine and get less MPG than my 400 HP Corvette and although it does weight about

4400 vs 3300 pounds and claims 18/27/21 MPG against the Corvette's 15/26. My son said he has never seen 26 MPG from his whiz-bang 24 valve V6 while I can come close to that doing round town driving. The Honda whiz bang develops 71 HP per L with 24 valve/V-tech MULTI port injection, not direct as you want us to believe is the world saving technology while the Corvette only gets 70 HP per L with the old push rod design, BFD.

I applaud the GM engineers effort to keep it simple and squeeze that kind of HP and fuel mileage out of a purpose built engine and vehicle. There are many ways to achieve the variable valve timing without it being variable, varied yes. With the port injection, not just direct injection the fuel and valve closure can be induced later into the compression cycle to gain part of the energy back that is lost by full stoke compression. Do a little research on the technology of the Otto and Atkinson engines. How about a 4 stroke cycle being completed in one revolution?

The expected, uninformed, and pathetic comments from someone that buys used and only then if it has a high used value to save some money and then drives them until they are junk (?) still puzzles me. Is that double speak or what, you over pay for used to save money?

I have now driven 2 new GM vehicles for a total of 18 years and had to invest $64 in a new belt and idler pulley. I have never owned or needed an extended warranty. That boils down to a maintenance cost of about one gallon of gas per year driven. I did buy a couple of batteries also but that is more like normal operating cost. When they failed they didn't burn my house down like the Prius.

So again I ask you what is there to talk about if you're satisfied with the ride you have? Me thinks you are so disappointed with your cars that you want everyone else to feel the same.

Last but not the least I was under 70 with more than a high school education when I bought all of the Corvettes and Cadillacs I've owned, what's your point?

Reply to
Dad

[...]

The base Vette today produces --what 400 hp with a weight of around 3400 lbs or so and will give you pavement wrinkling performance. I suppose using the same VTEC technology found in my 7 year-old Honda S2000 you could go to a lighter car with a smaller engine with the same power. But why. I would imagine the engineers at GM considered this and found the current push rod engine sufficient to do what was needed. Honda no longer produces the S2000 ( lack of an automatic may have impacted reduced sales except for diehards like me) whereas the Corvette is still around. Ferrari performance for a heck of lot less.

[...]

It's the very definition of an internet troll. Let it die.

AJM

-- '93 40th Anniversary coupe, 6 sp (both tops)

Reply to
CardsFan

Not a troll here. Just a owner who likes/owns the classic Corvettes. Also this newsgroup is dead and any discussion, whatsoever, is better than silence.

Reply to
uncle_vito

Not a troll here. Just a owner who likes/owns the classic Corvettes. Also this newsgroup is dead and any discussion, whatsoever, is better than silence.

I agree -- disappointing NG

Reply to
tww1491