Headlight Gear Replacement Hints

Good Afternoon..

Like many C4's...my headlights are lazy. I am looking to change the gears on them.

Does anyone have any hints as to here to start.?

Cheers and thanks

Mark

Reply to
.

The gears aren't the problem, it is the Delrin bushings in the gears - they turn to powder - you can get replacement kits for about $5.00 a side from Eckler's but they are very labor intensive and require removal of the headlamp assemblies.

Reply to
Dumptruck

Check to be sure the wiring harness is not interfering with the headlamp bucket turning. I was primed to swap out gears, motors, whatever, and found that the cable tie that routes the harness had failed and the cable was snagging the bucket.

If that is not the case, the nylon gears in the motor are designed to fail and protect the motor. It is either age (nylon deteriorates) or the bucket was jammed and the motor overcame it (see above) or something. Several of the Corvette accessory stores sell replacement nylon gears. They also sell bronze gears that are more durable. Here's a tip - the bronze gears are stronger than the motor torque. The motor costs a LOT more than the gears. If you do the swap yourself (and you can but it will eat up a day for you), swapping out the gears is probably the better route. Unless you plan to keep the car another 13 years, the nylon gears are probably the better choice since you have 13 year old headlight bucket motors.

Reply to
Charlie Funk