Hello...new to the group and a new C4 owner...my first vette, so naturally I have a few questions.

Hello everyone,

I am new in here and new to the world of corvette's, so please forgive my ignorance if I ask what may be common knowledge for most concerning vette's, until I get a little better educated.

Just picked my vette up Thursday and made the 7 hour road trip home. It is a 94 in very nice condition with only 56K miles. After driving for the last two days, I noticed a few things things that have me asking the stupid questions.

  1. Fuel gauge and fuel tank. I drove 285 miles on the way home before I stopped to put gas in and the fuel gauge was reading just under 3/4. When I stopped to fill it up, it only took 12 gallons, which was accurate after figuring mileage and checking it against the computer which was averaging 24 mpg. I know the mileage was correct, but I dont think the tank is that big to reflect the fuel gauge readout. Do these gauges get stuck at all in one position not allowing it to fall beyond a certain point, or is my tank bigger than I think...I was thinking it was 18 or 20 gal. ?

  1. Stereo antenna...is it suppose to go up automatically whenever you turn the radio or key on, or is there a switch to make it go up and down? Mine doesnt appear to go up or down, so this may need repaired if there's not a separate switch.

  2. Adjustable ride control...how do you know if this is working?

  1. What size is the spare rim and tire that came with the car? I think mine is missing and I would like to get another one to replace it.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Jim

Reply to
furious

Don't plan on a 20 gallon tank, don't remember what it is but Corvette is not known for a large tank. A big tank option in the 60s was an exception. More than likely the float is sticking, not a hard job to change on the C4.

No separate switch and they do need replacing if they are not kept dry. straight, and clean.

Good question, until mine failed I couldn't tell, $500 later I still couldn't.

It's a space saver and any proper circumference GM with the right bolt pattern will work. I use one for my '64 that came from van.

Take a minute, hour, whatever, and read

no longer kept up to date but lots of background information on Corvette. Welcome to the madness....

Reply to
Dad

Fuel gage: Gas mileage is about right for open road. Tank is probably 20gal. (check catalog item at Eckler's) First check the electrical connectors in the rear wiring harness and at the tank top. A corroded connection (high resistance) will cause the indicator to read too high. If the issue remains, pull the pump, filter sock & float assembly from the tank. Open the cover on the variable resistor and adjust the wiper arm for good contact with the resistor windings throughout the range of travel (use an ohmeter to check for smooth operation before you put everything back together. I repaired my '89 two years ago and it's been fine ever since. Alternate is to spend $$$ on a new pump/float assembly. (While you're there, check the 'sock' for tears and siphon any sediment from the tank bottom.) Note: the resistance element resembles several from other vintage GM cars and those are available for a small fraction of an entire float/pump assembly. If you don't like "messing with watchworks," find an old-retired auto-electric guy or aviation electrician to repair the sensor. (This sensor gets beat up during hard cornering with a near-empty gas tank.)

Antenna: With original radio, antenna goes up when radio is turned on. With aftermarket radio, who knows? If you hear motor running but antenna doesn't move, it's probably a broken nylon 'string' in the antenna mast -- *possibly* you can replace the mast without removing the antenna from the car. Motor doesn't run?...check the fuse--also some models had an antenna relay. New antennas show up at Ecklers & Mid-America occasionally -- also check eBay. Google for other parts sources.

Spare size -- my '89 has a 155/80D17. '94 might be different. Check with a local tire dealer. Avoid a 'recycled' spare. Once they are 15 years old the rubber is shot. When you install the spare, check the spare-tire lamp, socket and wiring/connectors for caked mud, corrosion, etc. A stray ground in this wiring can cause mysterious issues with the interior lights during damp weather.

Buy an owner's manual and a shop manual from HelmInc.com. (soon before the GM-BK game screws up vendors like Helm.) Manual will save money/time on the repairs you do and help you keep others honest about repair estimates and what was done.

Join the Corvette Forum -- many excellent subsections & tips for shortcutting procedures in the shop manual.

enjoy & wave!

-- pj

Reply to
pj

Thanks for the help guys! I'll do some investigating and order a manual. It's suppose to rain and possibly snow for the next two days, so that will give me some time in the garage to check out the issues at hand. I love my new Vette, and am already addicted. Will try to post a link with pics of my new baby later. Thanks again,

Jim

Reply to
furious