Help - battery discharge and noise, 99 C5

Page 1 of 2
I'm hoping someone can help me and recognize what has failed on my 1999 Corvette.
No problems previously. I've had it parked in the garage for about a
week. When I went to start it the battery was dead. I plugged in a charger and a clicking sound came from the front of the car, seemed somewhere near the air filter. I couldn't find the source of the clicking but left the charger on for a few hours.
When I came back, the clicking had stopped but there was a high pitched whine/whistle coming from the same area. The battery is not providing enough power to light the underhood lights. I disconnected the battery and the sound stopped.
Even though I can't detect any power in the battery, now the high pitched whine occurs whenever the battery is connected. If I fiddle with the battery connection, I can change the pitch of the whine.
Has anybody seen this before? Any suggestions/theories? What's broken?
On the last day I drove the car prior to parking it I had brought it in for the annual DMV inspection which it passed.
Many thanks for any ideas.

then charge it to its correct voltage.

Thanks Dad. On further thinking this through, I think that the battery is now so enfeebled that whatever was clicking before can only whine at this point.
I've disconnected the battery and am giving it a last shot with the charger I have, which is not a full hit device. If that fails then I'll buy a new battery.
The tech at the dealership says that he's seen a consistent 3 year life on batteries in these cars and that's right on target for the one in it now.
Thanks again.

battery in it and seems to be doing just fine.
--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

I bought the '99 new in Feb. of '99. In Oct. '02 I replaced the original battery, which had corroded one of its terminals badly, with a Sears' Gold Die-Hard.
I haven't had a chance to use the car much this year and probably sitting too long contributed to the failure.
charles wrote:

Get yourself a new battery charger and recharge the battery. Get one that will desulphate a battery and it will probably save it.
These cars will discharge a battery very quickly if they are not used regularly. Use a Battery Tender (maintainer) (or your new charger) to keep it charged when it sits for long periods and you will be fine. Otherwise, drive it often like you're supposed to!
You also mentioned the corroded terminal on the original battery. While you're fooling with the battery, check below it to see if any battery acid leaked down onto the computer and wiring which sits directly under the battery tray.
Dave WI
My den is right next to the garage wall..while my keys were in my desk drawer I could hear the Vette locks cycling on and off...I now keep the keys farther away...on the laundry room rack.
ALSO BE CAREFUL...while unloading the Vette with the rear hatch open I tossed the keys onto the console...and a second or two later both doors locked ...I could see the keys but had to climb in throught the back to reach them...now that could have turned into a real problem if the hatch was not open....never leave your keys on the seat or console...
ALSO never give your wife one of those key chain remotes for the garage door..my wfe cycled the door while looking in her large handbag for her cell phone or whatever..from the bedroom at the opposite end of the house...door was open all night.
grayfox wrote:

Don't the C5s have the metal ball in the Fob? On my C4 if I lock the key fob in the car (laying on the seat, etc) all I have to do is shake the car and the doors will unlock.

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler

What about if it's left in the ignition? Ever have it lock then?
--
Warmest regards,

Steve Horrillo, Realtor / C.Ht. =^..^=
No.... but thats a good ting to consider..didn't think of that ..
Steve Horrillo SPAMMED us again when he feigned interest in this thread by writing a minimal response:

Steve, start the New Year off right and stop SPAMMING us like a sleazy Realtor might do! Your transparency has worn too thin and we are getting annoyed by your SPAMMING. You lend credibility to everything nasty we've ever heard about slimeball realtors.
---snip---
well "Cool Jet", if you want to give your 2 ? that's fine, this is an open forum. but you are not the speaker for the entire group. you certainly are not speaking for me. if you don't like seeing someone's post ? (mine included) simply kill-file them and be done with it.
my2
--
"Key"

'Key wrote:

Key, thanks for giving me your blessing to post my 2 in this open forum. I didn't realize I needed your consent though. By the way, if you read the charter, it's not an open forum for SPAM.

Nor do I portend to be the speaker for the entire group. Just the ones who don't like to be bombarded with SPAM every time your friend Steve posts his maeningless drivel, just so he can post his link again. Strangely enough, from your past posts, I thought you also disliked SPAM. I must be confusing you with someone else who has spoken out against SPAM in the past.

Nor would I ever be tempted too. I don't share your views on SPAM.

Rather than share your apathy Key, I like to point out to SPAMMERS that I don't like their SPAM. If you don't like to see me asking SPAMMERS to stop SPAMMING, you would appear to know your options.

and mine ;-)

Cool Jet
"Key"
"Cool Jet" < snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
"Key"
"Cool Jet" < snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
'Key wrote:

Key, I did indeed miss your point. I mistakenly thought you were defending Steve's SPAMMING and responded accordingly. My apology if I gave the impression that I was speaking on anyone's behalf, other than my own. The new wave of SPAMMERS p's me off by posting absolute drivel, just so they can print a link to their websites. This Steve Horrillo guy posts the same nonsense in several automotive groups that I subscribe to and always with a link to his real estate websites, thinking that he is sneaking his SPAM past the various groups. My apology also for ripping on you. I think we're on the same side of the SPAM issue.

we are "on the same side of the SPAM issue".
happy new year to you & yours..
--
"Key"

That's BS. Those sites are for Realtor training and Realtor recruiting. Who in a car goup would be interested? My sig is the same wherever I post. Crying wolf as you are doesn't help reduce spam, it just ruins the credibility of people with legitimate complaints. Choose your battles more carefully and don't be such a crybaby. If I'm the biggest fish you have to fry I feel sorry for you.
--
Warmest regards,

Steve Horrillo, Realtor / C.Ht. =^..^=
Steve Horrillo wrote:

Er . . . Steve, those are links to websites, not signatures. Quit trying so hard to rationalize your indiscretions!

Steve, crying wolf may not reduce SPAM, but alerting the SPAMMER that they are SPAMMING helps when the SPAMMER is too, shall we say, stupid to even realize that they are SPAMMING in the first place. Oh, and I have never accused you of being a "big Fish" Steve. Au contraire, you are a very small fish in a very big pond. Perhaps it's that aspect of your inferiority complex that compels you to SPAM in the first place.

My business is local. There's an almost zero chance of getting an actual custome. I have all the business I can handle by word of mouth. If it's spam then you can get my isp to shut me down. Fact is, it's not in violation of any TOS agreement or even netiquette. So just crawl back under the porch and let corvette the discussion continue.
You've wasted enough of everone's time. Get a life then have a nice life. BYE
--
Warmest regards,

Steve Horrillo, Realtor / C.Ht.