Help-Convertible Top

Just purchased a C5 convertible. Never had a convertible before. Question: What type of dressing or treatment do you recommend I put on the top.

The top is in good condition, garage kept, wat to keep it that way.

Thanks Rd please remove the xx in my email address for spam purposes.

Reply to
RdA

Mothers, Raggtopp, and Mequiars all make a good top dressing. Keep it clean and don't clean the seams with a brush regardless of what some might say. A brush abrades the top of the stitches and will weaken the seam.

Dad

I was looking at a C4 with a newer looking black top yesterday. On the bottom of the top (where it latches to the lid) the binding wasn't laying flat. The salesman said that the top was probably in the down position for a long time and would need to sit in the sun for a day and it would lay properly again. Was this guy blowing smoke up my kiester or does that sound right? Here's a picture of the car with the top up. Note where the convertible meets the cover lid.

thanks in advance. walt

Reply to
wallster

One thing I wouldn't do is stay out in the sun long enough to see that top seat properly. Just won't happen, top has shrunk or was not installed properly or both have caused the problem. The lower frame has a pinch groove that has a retaining strip pressed into it with a retaining tab the length of the top to secure the material without using fasteners. If that retaining tab and the strip are installed long it will stay that way. The cure is a properly installed new top.

Reply to
Dad

He was blowing smoke, big time..... That is the first place the top fails. I've been down that road on my C4.... That top will never seal along the bottom rear again. It will have to be replaced. And it looks like a plastic rear window. Which is good because once the rear lower area fails, the glass is the next thing to fall out. LOL Been there too.

Reply to
RicSeyler

Thanks for the help

Rd