Help with 71engiine ID

Just bought a 71 coupe with matching # engine. Previous owner said it is a LT1 and that he had sold the intake, carb and air cleaner. The block is
stamped CJK. Every thing I have looked at online shows this to be the base 270hp engine. I have a set of old GM Vette parts books, an old factory repair manual and a 1974 Union 76 lube and tune spec book that all show CJK to be the 330 hp engine. Plate on consle states 330hp. I know this could have be bought and stuck there. Also need any info on checking vacumn headlamps. Hose routing chart and checks for each part would be nice. Factory manual is very vague. Have one small hose with red stripe that appears to go nowhere laying with lamp hoses. Any help is appreciated. You can email me at ib snipped-for-privacy@charter.net Thanks in advance,David
ib_abynormal wrote:

There used to be a book out on that subject, but darned if I can find it right now.
Here's a site that has a description of what to check: http://www.jamisoncustomcorvette.com/head.htm
Here's a vendor that sells hose kits that include a diagram: http://tinyurl.com/8jsas
ib_abynormal wrote:

Forgot to mention: according to NCRS, "CJK" is is the base 270hp engine with a Rochester carb and an automatic transmission. The LT1 code was "CGZ". Perhaps the engine was upgraded to LT1 specs by a prior owner (LT1 cam, Holley carb, solid lifters, etc).
also look for: 3872765 & 3932461 Exhaust manifolds LT1 (base engine: 3846559/3989036) 3959594 aluminum intake manifold (base engine had cast iron 3973469) Holley carb code R4801A & GM number 3989021 (plus a 3-digit date code) coil 1115272 on LT1 (versus 1115270) distributor tag 1112038 (versus 1112050) and... LT1's came with the transistor ignition heads are the same for both engines: 3973487
Wayne gave you the numbers at "should" be there if the Car was originally an LT1... not sure.. but I think that the Lt1's had solid lifters...those are normally pretty easy to hear...
The "BOOK" on the Vac System was written by Chris Prowl (ok its only a few pages..maybe 5) lol but is available thru Ecklers etc .. BUT I know Chris is a member of the C3 Registry ...complete step by step diagonistic info and fix and repair instructions....well worth the 10 bucks...
Check out the C3vr.com web site... bunch of specific forums devoted to almost every aspect of the C3 Corvette... I am not one to open my wallet and join "clubs" etc ...but I wrote a check to become a lifetime member of the C3 registry simply because I GET ANSWERS... and 99 percent of thoise answers are correct... well worth the 10 bucks a year for a standard membership..
Bob Griffiths 64 & 72 Ragtops 76 79 & 95 Coupes looking for a C5 FRC/Z06 or Ragtop

Couple of links in addition to what WayneC gave you
http://www.idavette.net/ for general info and for the vacuum stuff he mentioned http://www.vettevacuum.com /
ib_abynormal wrote:

Thank you Wayne for your help. Shouldn't be hard to fix lamps with their checks. As for the LT1 I bought it because of # matching block, rust free frame and 84k miles. Didn't really think it was a LT1 but my old books showed it to be by the stamping. Wonder why 3 different books all showed CJK to be LT1?
Thanks again, David