Help with Identification

I have a small block Chevy in my pick-up with the following casting numbers, can anyone help identify it's origin? Block Casting #3731548, Engine Date Stamp T312F, Head Casting #3731554. Could it have come from an early Corvette? It does have an early set of Corvette valve covers on it.

Reply to
sticks

No, not Corvette... Corvette used block 3731548 on the 1957 model, but Chevy also used it on many other applications; heads are not from a Corvette, but were used on trucks and full-size passenger cars. The clincher is that your block was assembled by the Tonawanda NY engine plant, but all Corvette engines were assembled by the Flint MI plant.

The "F" at the end of the date stamp would tell us more, but unfortunately I don't have a guide that includes that code.

Reply to
WayneC

Thanks for the info.

Reply to