Hey Dad, a 2000 Vette

Does the car come with limited slip differential?
I hear a whirring type of sound from the rear (passenger it seems); I took it in to see if maybe I had a wheel bearing problem, but
it check out good. I had assumed I had positive traction, your comments are welcomed (or Ric, Charlie or anyone else).
Empty3
$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.texas.rr.com...

Yes, you have a limited slip differential, and a transmission all in one unit. When was the last time you checked the fluid level? Never I suspect, takes a lift to make it easy and never trust the dealer to do it. My oil changes and lube jobs are free and after the third change I ask the tech (?) if the grease zerks took much grease. The blank stare and the statement that they took out the zerks years ago made me push him to show me his maintenance chart on his computer. Z51 option has zerks on the control rods on the back, not on the steering rods as you might think. They stick straight down and are not hard to see but it tells me they dump the oil, slap on, (or wipe off), the filter, dump in the oil and kick it out the door. NEVER trust your dealer/mechanic to do a complete job.
As a side note GM has released a new transmission fluid so there may be reason to change it because I seldom see them do something without an overwhelming reason.
--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Thanks Dad,
I appreciate the info.
The shop offered to change out the differential fluids yesterday, but I turned it down. The transmission fluid change is next (1-2 weeks), and I am aware of the zerks (my 90 has some I lube up). Car runs great, but it is so different from my 90 coupe.
Empty3

Oops, my bad, didn't realize you were asking about a '90. No mention of a positive traction option so I would guess all of them have it.

Dad, I did inquiry about my 2000, but I also have a 1990 (and was comparing, hence me saying they are different).
I appreciate the help, you da man!
Empty3
puked:

Is the diff change listed as a periodic maintenance item? It is on my 2000 Camaro, 18K miles, I think... -- lab~rat >:-) Do you want polite or do you want sincere?

What gives?

Do not have any manuals for this car; previous owner lost them perhaps.
Empty3
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------090100020600030508010409 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Yea you will have limited slip (Posi) Does it make the noise when you are turning? Or when traveling straight?
Try this to duplicate: Get in a parking lot and drive in a tight circle about 4-5 mph w/the windows down and see if you hear a chattering or feel a chattering. If this is the case, it might just be the Posi Additive. There is a special additive (gotta come from GM) that has to be used along with rear end lube. (And this is the symptoms of needing or replacing the special Posi Additive)
If it makes the noise when traveling in a straight line then it's not the posi unit per/sey.
Empty3 wrote:

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler

does an 84 - c4 require the "special additive" along with rear end lube ?
any positive advice would be appriciated thanks
--
"Key"
=====
'Key wrote:

Yes!
Now watch me get smacked down by someone smarter than me! :-0)

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler

Yes!
Now watch me get smacked down by someone smarter than me! :-0)

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler

well, I think between you and Ric. yall got it all pretty much covered..
thanks again for the continued help from ya both...
--
"Key"
=====

This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------050005040003040701080308 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
LOLOLOL
Dad wrote:

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler

Thanks
--
"Key"
=====

class=moz-txt-link-freetext href="http://www.pcola.gulf.net/~ricseyler ">http://www.pcola.gulf.net/~ricseyler </A><BR>remove SPAM- from email address<BR>--------------------------------------<BR>"Homer no function beer well without."<BR>- H.J. Simpson<BR></DIV> <DIV>Ric,</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>The noise is more of a whirling noise (not chattering) around 20 to 30 mph and is not consistent.&nbsp; I took a mechanic out with me and could not duplicate for a while, but when I did he mentioned it was the&nbsp;limited slip differential at work (that was today - just simply covering all bases).&nbsp; This is during a straight line run.&nbsp; My 1990 does not do this, but as I mentioned to Dad, both cars are so different.&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Empty3&nbsp;</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>
------=
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------050604050307030700000306 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Empty3 wrote:

Regardless you shouldn't be feeling or hearing anything unusual from the rearend. Humm..... maybe a pinion bearing or a carrier bearing.... <shakes fist> WHY DOES THERE HAVE TO BE SO MANY MOVING PARTS BACK THERE! LOL U joints could also set up a coming and going noise/vibration.... So could wheel bearings. ARRRGGGHH :-0)

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler