Hey Dad, a 2000 Vette

Does the car come with limited slip differential?

I hear a whirring type of sound from the rear (passenger it seems); I took it in to see if maybe I had a wheel bearing problem, but it check out good. I had assumed I had positive traction, your comments are welcomed (or Ric, Charlie or anyone else).

Empty3

Reply to
Empty3

$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.texas.rr.com...

Yes, you have a limited slip differential, and a transmission all in one unit. When was the last time you checked the fluid level? Never I suspect, takes a lift to make it easy and never trust the dealer to do it. My oil changes and lube jobs are free and after the third change I ask the tech (?) if the grease zerks took much grease. The blank stare and the statement that they took out the zerks years ago made me push him to show me his maintenance chart on his computer. Z51 option has zerks on the control rods on the back, not on the steering rods as you might think. They stick straight down and are not hard to see but it tells me they dump the oil, slap on, (or wipe off), the filter, dump in the oil and kick it out the door. NEVER trust your dealer/mechanic to do a complete job.

As a side note GM has released a new transmission fluid so there may be reason to change it because I seldom see them do something without an overwhelming reason.

Reply to
Dad

Thanks Dad,

I appreciate the info.

The shop offered to change out the differential fluids yesterday, but I turned it down. The transmission fluid change is next (1-2 weeks), and I am aware of the zerks (my 90 has some I lube up). Car runs great, but it is so different from my 90 coupe.

Empty3

Reply to
Empty3

Oops, my bad, didn't realize you were asking about a '90. No mention of a positive traction option so I would guess all of them have it.

Reply to
Dad

Dad, I did inquiry about my 2000, but I also have a 1990 (and was comparing, hence me saying they are different).

I appreciate the help, you da man!

Empty3

Reply to
Empty3

Yea you will have limited slip (Posi) Does it make the noise when you are turning? Or when traveling straight?

Try this to duplicate: Get in a parking lot and drive in a tight circle about 4-5 mph w/the windows down and see if you hear a chattering or feel a chattering. If this is the case, it might just be the Posi Additive. There is a special additive (gotta come from GM) that has to be used along with rear end lube. (And this is the symptoms of needing or replacing the special Posi Additive)

If it makes the noise when travel> Does the car come with limited slip differential?

Reply to
RicSeyler

does an 84 - c4 require the "special additive" along with rear end lube ?

any positive advice would be appriciated thanks

Reply to
'Key

Try this to duplicate: Get in a parking lot and drive in a tight circle about 4-5 mph w/the windows down and see if you hear a chattering or feel a chattering. If this is the case, it might just be the Posi Additive. There is a special additive (gotta come from GM) that has to be used along with rear end lube. (And this is the symptoms of needing or replacing the special Posi Additive)

If it makes the noise when traveling in a straight line then it's not the posi unit per/sey.

Empty3 wrote: Does the car come with limited slip differential?

I hear a whirring type of sound from the rear (passenger it seems); I took it in to see if maybe I had a wheel bearing problem, but it check out good. I had assumed I had positive traction, your comments are welcomed (or Ric, Charlie or anyone else).

Empty3

Reply to
Empty3

Yes!

Now watch me get smacked down by someone smarter than me! :-0)

Reply to
RicSeyler

Reply to
RicSeyler

Yes!

Now watch me get smacked down by someone smarter than me! :-0)

Reply to
Dad

Thanks

Reply to
'Key

well, I think between you and Ric. yall got it all pretty much covered..

thanks again for the continued help from ya both...

Reply to
'Key

On Wed, 27 Sep 2006 18:33:31 GMT, "Empty3" puked:

Is the diff change listed as a periodic maintenance item? It is on my

2000 Camaro, 18K miles, I think...

lab~rat >:-)

Reply to
RicSeyler

What gives?

Do not have any manuals for this car; previous owner lost them perhaps.

Empty3

Reply to
Empty3