How long have you owned your current Corvette?

Just out of curiosity, I'd like to hear how long folks have owned their current Corvette.

To start the ball rolling, I bought my '67 from a PA State Trooper going through a divorce in '79. Wow, hard to believe it's been 26 years we've been together - lasted longer by far than *his* marriage. :) Criminey, that's more than half my lifetime.

My '72 is just a mistress by comparison - only 16 years. (I must like buying during the last year of the decade - though it appears I missed the calling in '99. Here's looking forward to '09!)

Here's waving to ya - \||||

Owen ___

'67BB & '72BB

-- not affiliated with JLA forum in any way -- alt.autos.corvette is original posting -- ___

Barking Rats

My 79 was purchased in 1983 My 72 was purchased in 1985 My 76 was purchased in 1989 My 64 was purchased in 1993 My 95 was purchased in 1999

All still in the garage...

Bob Griffiths.

Reply to
Bob G.

"All still in the garage"!!! Can't get them started? *lol*

Reply to
Grayfox

I've owned the1993 for about a year and a half. I thought I'd be further along with its rehabilitation by now, but that's the way it goes. I want to get all the mechanical issues taken care of before I have it painted...

AJM '93 Ruby coupe, 6 sp

Reply to
CardsFan

Picked up a wreck of a '77 in 1999. Today, I own a great running, no-problems, catch-the-eye '77. And I don't even miss the million dollars it took to get it this way.

Reply to
BDragon

13 years. 1986, bought with 43k miles in '92, now has 175k.
Reply to
larrybud2002

==================================================== Have no fea.... they all will start right up, and all drive just fine..

I will admit each has a couple of little things I have to get after this winter...nothing however that would stop me from using any for a

500 mile trip this afternoon... Seriously each gets driven at least once a week for at least 25 miles... between April and November then they stay inside during the winter however.....

I sold my SS 396 Chevelle about a month ago , so I have room in the garage for a Used C5... .Did not see anything today at The GM Nationals in Carlisle today... So I will continue to look....no rush when I see one I like at the right price I'll open my wallet...

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G.

Five weeks, but it still seems like new to me.

-- Vandervecken

Reply to
Vandervecken

Owen, Ive had my 1970 T Top Coupe, 454 , 4 speed, since 1997. It is my second 1970 ; my first was a 350 cid Convertible with auto trans. I bought that one from a guy located 5 miles away -- the car used to be his wifes. I bought the 454 cid one from a guy located 50 miles away who started a restoration on it but ran out of money due to getting a divorce. I finished the frameup restoration including a Motor buildup which took me from stock of 390 h.p/500 tq. to : 540 h.p/600 tq. Believe it or not, i get 14 mpg on the highway at 70 mph. I dont plan on selling this one, as, it is escalating in price very quickly and is in a solid number 2 condition ; if i ever did sell it, it would be to buy a '06 ZO6 about 5-10 years from now.

Reply to
Dave in Lake Villa

It was one year June 5th- put 14,000 miles on it.

Reply to
Jon

Bought my first 'Vette 3 months ago.

1990 ZR1 Red/Saddle interior 9700 unmolested original miles

Still can't wipe the smirk off of my face. ;-)

Tom

Reply to
Crabs

Bought my 92 with LT-1 Red/Red in August 1997 at 43,000 miles, now at

126,000

Reply to
George Csahanin

'Bought my first 'Vette 3 months ago.

1990 ZR1 Red/Saddle interior 9700 unmolested original miles Still can't wipe the smirk off of my face. ;-) Tom '

Reply: Tom, Ive always been partial to ZR1's ; id be very interested to know what you paid for yours with such low miles . Thanks.

Reply to
Dave in Lake Villa

============================== I like the ZR1's myself...but to be honest I backed away from them because of my fear...real or not? that getting parts would or could...? be a nightmare...

Whats everyones opinion ?....

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G.

Reply to
JOEVET

I've got to tackle a 10 year wait in rebuilding the engine in my '72 very soon. It's a 454 that was downrated in '72 to 270hp (? as I recall)

- what modifications did you make to get 540hp? I assume you're running premium gas - any problems with pinging?

At this point I'm looking at a basic factory-stock rebuild but am considering bumping the compression a tad. I believe stock was 8.25:1 for '72 - considering increasing to 9.5 or so. Anyone think that would be worth it in seat of the pants feel? (The setup is 3.08 rear, auto-trans, fully optioned (meaning heavy and lots of power accessories.)

Here's waving to ya - \||||

Owen ___

'67BB & '72BB

-- not affiliated with JLA forum in any way -- alt.autos.corvette is original posting -- ___

Barking Rats

Hi Bob - it appears that at this point, I'm the "old guy" on the block at 26 years ownership of the same Corvette. You young wippersnappers...

Here's waving to ya - \||||

Owen ___

'67BB & '72BB

-- not affiliated with JLA forum in any way -- alt.autos.corvette is original posting -- ___

Barking Rats

'I've got to tackle a 10 year wait in rebuilding the engine in my '72 very soon. It's a 454 that was downrated in '72 to 270hp (? as I recall)

- what modifications did you make to get 540hp? I assume you're running premium gas - any problems with pinging?'

ME: Owen, Remember that the 270 h.p on your vette is 'RWHP', so gross h.p. on that is roughly 310 . The mods i did to get me from 390 gross hp to 540 were : New Edelbrock Oval Port Heads which have huge ports and valves compared to stock, New Edelbrock AirGap Dual Plane Intake which has huge runners versus stock, Demon 850 cfm, dp, mech. sec. Carb , new Hydr. Lunati aggressive Roller cam/roller lifters/roller rockers , Hooker Super Comp. Headers , 100 % fresh air thru L88 hood and plenum, twin electric radiator fans which dont come on if im moving at least 35 mph and its less than 80 f. outside, and running motor at 180 f. instead of running at stock of 190 f. My buildup was mostly patterned after author Hib Halversons successive articles called : BIg Block from Hell series.

'At this point I'm looking at a basic factory-stock rebuild but am considering bumping the compression a tad. I believe stock was 8.25:1 for '72 - considering increasing to 9.5 or so. Anyone think that would be worth it in seat of the pants feel?'

ME: No..i dont believe it will afford you that seat of the pants feel Owen ; I think youre going to have to shoot higher if you want that thrown back in the seat feeling when you mash it. The best single think you could do , is to pop for new Oval Port Heads.

'The setup is 3.08 rear, auto-trans, fully optioned (meaning heavy and lots of power accessories.)'

ME: If you want good low end torque, you need to do a rear gear changeout. Mine was a stock 3:36 --- a 370 made a big difference. However, if you do alot of highway driving with your vette, keep your

3.08.
Reply to
Dave in Lake Villa

Reply to
W. Moore

78 Coupe, my first Vette in October 2002 96 Coupe April 2004 My next .... As soon as I can convince the wife :)
Reply to
Scubabix