How to get that wonderful exhaust sound ??

Page 1 of 2
I upgraded from a C5 Corvette convertible to a new C6 convertible, and find the improvements to be mostly positive, but with one major exception.
The exhaust sound of my prior convertible had a wonderful mellow, gutsy
sound, very much like what you would expect from a sports car.
The newer C6 is way less audible, and has no rumble or other noticeable sonic qualities. It actually sounds very much like most of the sedans on the road.
I am not looking for a loud, obnoxious, "look at me" type of noise generator, but I really do miss the mellow and full bodied sound quality of the older C5 factory exhaust.
What if any options do I have? Is a 3rd party exhaust / muffler a huge mistake? Is it very pricey? And am I just asking for trouble with emissions, reliability, etc?
I am unlikely to make any drastic or expensive changes, but I am just curious to know what might be possible.
Thanks in advance to any / all responders.
Smarty

Put on the NPP exhaust.

sound, as both of mine were fitted with Corsa soon after they got home. Do you know the C5 had a factory exhaust?
Same with the C6, within a month of it being delivered I installed the Corsa Sport. At over $1,000 they are still over priced but good equipment. No need for the cross over pipe as it does little good for sound and it is just more expense. As far as reliability and emissions nothing changes there, just the sound.
Dad wrote:

I did some research on a couple Corvette forums and learned that a fuse can be removed from the dual system on my C6 which apparently has a pretty dramatic effect on the exhaust sound. I think I will try this first before considering another expense over $1000. I was totally amazed that an exhaust system fuse could even exist, but apparently there is a valve which is computer controlled which opens and closes in the exhaust stream, and this fuse disables the valve, leaving it in the 'louder' position. There are actually YouTube videos showing before and after comparisons.
Thanks again for replies.

Then you have the NPP exhaust. You can get a remote to control it from inside the car whenever you want to change it. Called a Mild to Wild.

That is what I use and it is GREAT!!!
--
(<>..<>)

$1,195 for that option.....NPP. You would already have heard it open up at WOT, but my guess is that you don't have that option or you wouldn't have ask how to get a better sound.
Where in the world did you find a dealer that would sell you a new Corvette without pointing out the NPP exhaust option? Even if it is a 2010 Corvette or just new to you it doesn't have to have the NPP exhaust which wasn't available on the early years of the C6.

Yup, if it had the option he'd hear it at start up. Or go take a look at about 8" behind the exhaust tips and he will see the solenoid/valve that operates the exhaust baffle. The damn thing can become tiring at sustained highway speeds imo, which is why the remote control is real nice.

Smarty;
Tell us more about your C5 and the new C6, does the wonderful mellow, gutsy sound have an accent?
Dad wrote:

Really not much to add. My C5, a 1998 red convertible, had a mellow and gutsy sounding exhaust. It was never offensive or obnoxious but it had some deep rumble and sounded strong both at idle and at higher speeds.
My C6, a 2006 silver convertible, has a far less aggressive sound, and reminds me of my family sedan. It takes away some of the sports car appeal that I like in the Corvette since it hardly makes a peep either at idle or at higher speeds.
Does it have an accent? Guess I would say it sounds like it came from Bowling Green Kentucky.....
Smarty

change. So you won't have that fuse to pull on the '06, that didn't happen until '08. You're stuck with and axle back exhaust change to get it to sound good. Be careful what you buy and from whom you buy them the year and transmission can be an issue.
I found a site that showed how to open up the muffles and get the sound you would like by removing a baffle but it requires MIG welder and a bit of work. Been tempted to try it on the set I have hanging in my shop and then sell the CORSA.
I'd forget about drilling holes in the muffler, I think you'd be courting problems.
Dad wrote:

Thanks Dad. I am going to leave it as is. As you suggest, the drilling approach is not a good one. The 2006 was purchased new and the 1998 C5 was indeed purchased used. I guess I never realized that it had aftermarket exhaust components, but it sure sounded much nicer than this newer C6.

OK, I'm going to back off this statement and direct you to this thread, go to post 127, page 7, or there abouts. Note also that the access hole is closed after the 3/4 hole is drilled. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-corvette-general-discussion/1918326-stock-muffler-mod-7.html Easy mod and you can go smaller on the holes in the pipe and enlarge them until you like the sound and avoid the dreaded drone by getting it to big. You can also add a bar stock plug to the cover and plug one side of the cross hole to quiet it down if you need to. Later in the thread there is another well photographed mod on the car documented. Cost is in the $10 or less range.

The Guys back in the 1960's had the cheapest solution for getting the exhaust sound you wanted : Punch ONE hole in the muffler to get a slight raspy sound. Punch TWO holes to get a mild cam sound. Punch THREE holes to get a 3/4 race cam sound. And punch FOUR holes if you want a definite lopey sound (all without the car shaking at idle too) . Very streetable solution . If you want to go from FOUR holes back to ONE hole, you simply bought a $2.99 box of JB Weld . Your welcome. Glad I could save you some money.
The Guys back in the 1960's had the cheapest solution for getting the exhaust sound you wanted : Punch ONE hole in the muffler to get a slight raspy sound. Punch TWO holes to get a mild cam sound. Punch THREE holes to get a 3/4 race cam sound. And punch FOUR holes if you want a definite lopey sound (all without the car shaking at idle too) . Very streetable solution . If you want to go from FOUR holes back to ONE hole, you simply bought a $2.99 box of JB Weld . Your welcome. Glad I could save you some money. ___________________________________________
I see you knew Bubba since way back then......
-W
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Talk about a cheap and effective solution....... I'm not sure I have the balls to start punching holes in my (stainless steel) mufflers. I'm gonna try the fuse approach first, and if that doesn't sound right, maybe I will get out a drill and do a little drilling......
Thanks for the suggestion and thanks to all for your help and replies!!

Buy a 1967.
"Where is Roger Smith When you Need Him?"

"Where is Roger Smith When you Need Him?"

Errrrr 1968
-W

Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51