How to save GM and the Corvette

Page 1 of 2
How to Save GM
New product. The Forever Car. Advertised as the last car you will ever need to buy. It will not have model years. All the models will be
identical and they will never change. So the parts from a Forever car made today will be interchangeable with one made ten years from now. Little by little the owner can replace all the used/worn parts with new parts and actually have a totally new car. Parts can be replaced individually or in component packages, whichever the owner decides is better or easier to do at the time. It will be designed to be worked on by the owners. There will be room to get at the parts. It will come with a tool box that has tools to fit every part on the car and a DVD with instructions on how to repair everything. It will have a USB cable to plug into your home computer for diagnostic testing. Of course, you can always take it to a mechanic. Yes, parts do get obsolete and improvements are made. The parts can be upgraded just as long as the component package still matches. There will be three models - the sports car, the sedan, and the SUV. Of course the sports car would have to be the Corvette. What about the fact that your car looks like every other car out there? No it wouldn't. Aftermarket manufacturers would come up with thousands of modifications or add-ons just like they did for the old VW Beetle.

Before I even got to the end of your post I thought of the VW. Incremental slow change is OK as earlier models can be "upgraded" by owners.
I've often suggested that the overall Volkswagon program was one of the few things done by Nazi Germany that could use a 2nd look for future applicability.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Beetle
-W
I don't care if they save the Corvette or not. The last great Corvette that GM made was in 1974. All the others have been overpriced also-rans.
I think GM should put the Corvette out of its misery or concentrate on building the best car in the world. Not a cheap, "me-too" to BMW or Porsche.
Vito

You need to remember that back in '71 part of that 6k was also "paying for "improvements and new technology" circa 197. The Vette has usually been at (or near) the front of GM's RnD platform thusly the hefty price tag.
I think Corvette should break free of GM and Chevrolet, if need be to stay alive.
Perhaps two models to be made: The latest "gee-wiz" Vette du-jour for the "big bucks". And for lower budgets - a re-run of the 63-67 C2 Stingray body, only with updated drivetrains, weight, and electronics. (ya, you can rework the seats too). But still "retro" enough that only minimal RnD costs need to be passed through to the consumer. (I'm thinking like VW and HD did for years and years here.)
-W (I always felt that while I *personally* prefer the '68 body - that the C2 was the best styling design to ever roll off an assembly line - anywhere)
I agree with you. I own a C2. A 1964 roadster with 327. Best looking car ever. Then GM basically crapped out. About 1975 onward they started making ???? I am not talking about technical innovation here. Of course, the newest Vette has the latest technology. But back in 1963, GM made the best car(s) ever. The Vette was better proportioned than the Jag XKE that was similar. Performance of the fuelly was on a par with the Ferrari. Looks also.
I cannot relate to what they have now. Key fobs having problems. Nav systems, dual area HVAC, etc. Crappy run flats with no spare and pressure sensors that are a nightmare to get working right.
GM needs to make the ZR-1 the standard Vette and price it at $45,000.
Also get out the 4 valve per cylinder OHC, variable valve timing, direct injection, 7000 rpm red line engine. What they have now was a joint devopment with the engine for SUV's . Sheesh. Has economical development all over it.
Vito

Snip>
Oh get a life, I had a new '63 Corvette and it was junk, so was the '64 that I traded for just to get rid of it. Design sucked and the front end started to float anything over 100. Looks has nothing to do with quality. That junk only got bigger when they went to the '68 design. It didn't get any better until the C5 came out.
Is this you replying????
Dad 05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51 72 Shark Black/Black/4spd 64 Red/red/white top/4spd
You sure have a lot of pre 75 vettes.

and/or hand fitted and is the only reason most of them have survived. I'll say it again, looks has nothing to do with quality and that is the only reason I own the C2 and the C3, looks. So I'll still disagree with your statement that GM made the best cars ever in '63. They were sucking hind tit until the C5 came out, prior to that Buick made better cars than the Corvette. Why did it's assembly move out of St Lousy?
Just one of the problems with my '63 was a cracked rear journal in the crank. As the engine heated up the fly wheel would cock whipping out the pilot bearing, transmission impute shaft, and bearing guide. GM's fix, put in a new transmission and scold me for driving it to hard. Second transmission, same thing, miles driven 1,500, now it's my fault completely. No more warranty and I paid for the third transmission which lasted about 2,000 miles. When I tore it down this time I let the engine run until warm and put a dial indicator on the fly wheel face. Dialed in dead nuts until it warmed up and then showed .09 something runout, jerked the engine and replaced it with a '58 283. Problem solved and it ran like a kitten all the way to a dealer and was traded in. Less than a year and 11,000 miles, then the '64 was worse and was gone in 3 months. The Corvair that replaced it was a better car by far and the next Corvette didn't come into my life until I got the '92 and it was gone as soon as the C5 came out although it was a '98 because of GMs great planning and a short production year. During that 20 some odd years without one I rejected a '77 that I ordered because it had mat showing through the finish surface 11 places and had already had the left front fender repainted.

I can't condemn the '63 Corvette because of that alone. Sounds like a major "lemon" issue with that cracked journal that went undetected. That crank "could" have turned up in any production V8, but it wound up in yours. That makes you *very* unlucky. But I still think the '65 with 4 wheel disks and FI was one of the "keepers" of the species. :)
-W
wrote in message news:jJSdnbOy-

about the back axle being .75 of an inch out of location on one side! There's more.
I run with a '65 fulie and he is well versed on all the problems they had and will not drive it on long tours because of it's special needs. Well over $6,000 in the injection upgrade to keep it stock and running, but it does run nice. Trailers it everywhere except close by shows. You should see the '40 Willies he is building.
I was going to send you a picture and noticed the bot killer email, neat......

What you couldn't figgure out how to get around the bot killer?
-W (has no picture yet :)
I will grant you that. Quality control sucked. Big gaps in the door jams. My 64 in the garage still shows the uneven gaps. I bought it in 91. I love to run it through the gears. Sounds like tearing silk cloth.
Newer vettes do not even have a lope and with a Flowmaster exhaust, sound like someone is giving a raspberry when they accelerate
Vito

Sounds like you both agree that QC at GM has sucked for decades at least.
As for the handling of the big block - yes that was a common complaint with the C2 and C3 - too much weight up front. That's the beauty of having a "driver" - if I wanna try one of those 454 aftermarket small block they sell - I can. :)
-W

Well you both at least agree (with many people) that the C4 was no prize. And I didn't say that you couldn't tweak suspension on the re-issue C2, you just had to use the exaxct same outer body panels (which made with todays materials would be thinner and lighter). My only other constraint is that no new RnD funds go into the car, but you may re-use existing Vette technology to improve the performance, handling, and mileage of the C2. The idea is to make it cost about 1/2 the price of the Vette DuJour - and make it "forever".
-W

and was appalled when the front end started to feel very floaty at around a 100 mph. The E model, despite it horrible reliability, worked just great at speeds over the century mark. The 71 454 Vette I had was quite different and worked well at least 130, so GM had sorted the problems out by the C3 . The 454 was a heck of lot better than the Jag in terms of reliability and much easier to work on.

Are you sure you can say that? Or was the real difference added weight of the big block up front in the '71 ?
How much (if any) did the chassis design change from '64 to '71? Or was airflow over the C3 nose enough to hold it down better in general ?
-W
Remember, as a rule of thumb, there are few if any collectible Corvettes made after 1972. The really nice looking Corvettes were 1967 and earlier.

Make an exception for the '78 pace car and to some degree the '82.
-W

know, I shouldn't go there. No question the mid year style will always be a head turner, more so than the oversized shark.