HUD question

When I bought my used 2000 hardtop, the HUD didn't work. Someone told me the reason was beause it's not the original windshield. Is that true? Thanks

Add pictures here
✖
On Sep 21, 2:57 pm, snipped-for-privacy@msn.com (J R) wrote:

I've had two windshields put in my 2000. They are a special windshield for the HUD. Cars without the HUD got a plain one. Any glass shop can look at it and tell you whether it is the correct one. Also, while the car is running, get out and look at the HUD and see if you see a display.
Blue C5
Add pictures here
✖
No. The correct windshield only contains a small area that is slightly more reflective where the HUD shows. It makes the reflection a little brighter. If has nothing to do with the electronics that displays the image.
On or about Mon, 21 Sep 2009 11:57:37 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@msn.com (J R) wrote or did cause to be written:

Add pictures here
✖
Looking down in the unit from outside, it appears to not be powered on, no matter what I do with the controls. Gusee I'll have to live without it. Thanks...
Add pictures here
✖
That would indicate a dead one. You say that you adjusted the controls. The +/- dimmer buttons on the bottom work very well and will turn the display completely off. Up and down can also make it disappear from view.
When you looking through the windshield you can see it if it is working but your head needs to be almost touching the windshield. It's in a deep black hole. But it really isn't any brighter than what you should see in the windshield.
Next I would make sure the fuse is good. After that it starts to cost money.
On or about Tue, 22 Sep 2009 14:20:38 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@msn.com (J R) wrote or did cause to be written:

Add pictures here
✖
Dale wrote:

Check the lower corner, passenger side for the manufacturer's name, part number & tint/shading codes. Near the bottom, above the DOT approval number, should be the letters "HUD"
And, remember that most polarized sun glasses will block the image. --pj
Add pictures here
✖
I'll have to check the recommendations in a few weeks from now. On Monday, I brought my car in to be painted & it will take a couple weeks at least. Thanks to all that responded. I'll let you know what I find.
Add pictures here
✖