I killed my Corvette

On Monday, I drove into town in my '93 40th Anniversary Corvette. It was hot, very hot. On the way home, I noticed the outside temperature was 115F. Then, I noticed that the car was running a little rough. Quickly,
the engine temperature started to climb. I know that I should have stopped, but I was outside of town, and only had a few miles to go to get home. I was more than a little scared of stopping on that hot, desert road, miles from town, and miles from home.
The "Check engine" light came on. The needle for the water temperature shot past the end of the scale, and then dropped to zero. The car stalled, and I let it drift on to the shoulder. When I opened the hood, there was a mess. Water, steam, and smoke was everywhere.
It is in at the auto service today. At least one head is bad with a hole in it. They suspect the other may be damaged also. The price is $3,000 to replace them. They can't test the water pump, or the opti-spark. Both are original, and 19 years old. Without pulling the heads, they don't know about the rest of the engine.
I've decided to replace the engine. They can get one for about $3,000, with a three year - 36,000 mile warranty. $2,200 for labor. With tax, new opti-spark, and new water pump will push it to about $6,000.
Unfortunately, I just replaced the A/C system and the tires a few months ago. That was $4,000, and I still owe half of it.
I can't afford to replace it right now, and I don't have the heart to sell it as a project car for peanuts. So, my plans for a 2014 have been pushed back for a long time.
I guess the last 17 years of excellent service and reliability balances out these big expenses, but it still hurts.
--
Jim

Sad story, maybe a bit more in-depth maintenance could have got the old girl home, maybe not. Right now you can get a good C5 for $15,000 and part the C4 out if you can't retrieve most of your sunken money by selling it as a project car. That way will also add the tax thing to the pain and that's not a good thing.
One thing I've always done was keep the air flow clean. Put it on my lift and clean radiator and the condenser plus make sure all the air dams and shrouds are clean and clear plus I never run 50/50 mix, water cools more. I've never put more than 92K on a C4 and not in 115 F heat so what do I know.
May have been avoided but the deed is done,
Good luck,
--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

That's a pretty big ouch, all right. I certainly respect your decision to fix the car instead of selling it off. I've been in a few slow car cruises in the summer here with my '93 and I've always been a little leery of the coolant temp. I haven't melted the engine,but I'm not a fan of entering my car in those things anymore. I'd rather just drive somewhere and park it and walk around and look at the other cars and talk to the owners.
BTW, today is Corvette's 58th birthday! Cake and ice cream!!
Best,
AJM '93 40th Anniversary coupe, 6 speed (both tops)
On 6/30/2011 6:34 AM, CardsFan wrote:

Well, I've had the car back for a week. They kept it for most of two months. They replaced the engine with a re-manufactured LT-1. They replaced the distributor, the water pump, the spark plugs, wires, hoses, belt idlers, and pretty much all of the sensors and connectors which were all melted. I had to order a few pieces from the aftermarket for them. I've driven it all week as part of the new engine break-in. It runs smooth and very nice. I haven't pushed it yet, but it feels very strong. It was expensive, but a lot less than replacing the car.
Only time will tell if it was a good decision, but the early results say "yes".
--
Jim