Initial Impressions of the C5/C6

I used to own a vet, a 1979, which I sold quite a long time ago. Summers coming and I find myself which some extra cash so I have been looking in the paper for a late model corvette. I researched that a new model came out in 2005 so I thought I would look around for a used C6 rather then a C5. Looking at pictures from the Internet, I figured the C5 and the C6 looked almost the same, except the C6 was a bit shorter and had some trim differences. Boy was this wrong.

So I'm driving by the local GM dealership and see a C5 convertible on the lot. Cool I'll go and have a look at it and maybe see a C6 as well. So I parked and walked up to the C5 and all I could think this is a stunningly nice looking car. I really like it. I decide to go in and see if the have any C6's. As I'm walking to the dealership building I see a couple of 2007 C6's under a tent. My first impression, in all honesty, is they were still very nice looking but relative to the C5 somewhat 'ordinary' looking.

So I've still got a line on a used 2006 C6 I'm going to look at, technically it should be the better car, but does anyone here think the C5 looks better than the C6? I'm probably going to have to see the C6 from some different angles I think. The C5 model I saw really impressed me at least in aesthetics. I want to test drive both of course.

Reply to
machinamentum

You pretty much got it right, if the C6 doesn't have an overriding appeal, save your money. The C5 is a great machine and will do most everything the C6 will. Sits and rides about the same with a bit more of a boot from the C6 which is also much more quiet without the window leaks. The indexing of the door glass keeps them sealed at any speed. The C6 is a slight improvement over the C5 but not much. One down side to the C6 coupe is the smaller view out the back glass. Almost forgot, the front license plate, if require, is dorky.

Reply to
Dad

Thanks for the response. This will give me something to think about when I test drive. Fortunately a front license plate is not required where I live.

I still really, really want to like the C6 and I'll give it's styling another chance. But the feeling was very strange. I was genuinely enamored of the 2001 C5 Silver convertible I saw, even covered with a months worth of road salt. I knew for certain the C6 was even going to be better; only to see how subdued the styling was on a shiny new 2007 C6 convertible. But I guess they wouldn't have done it if they didn't think that's what people wanted to buy.

Reply to
machinamentum

ROFL!!! GM, think about what people want to buy? ROFL.

That is why GM is in such trouble. They are better, but they still haven't eliminated the "We know what is good for you" mentality.

Reply to
Tom in Missouri

'So I've still got a line on a used 2006 C6 I'm going to look at, technically it should be the better car, but does anyone here think the C5 looks better than the C6? '

REPLY: I personally think the C6 is a sharper looking Corvette with its distinct lines. However i may be bias since i bought a 2006 last year at this time. Ive been told numerous times that the C6 is quite a bit above the C5's as far as quietness , performance, and reliability is concerned. One thing i can definetly say , is, after approx. 6000 miles, the performance of my 2006 noticeably increased ; i guess it just needed to get 'broken in' . If i were going to consider a C5, id look at a Convertible 6 speed .

Reply to
dave

Mentality??

Reply to
Dad

I've owned both and like both. The C6 is evolutionary, not like the C4 to C5. Much of the design carried over. The C6 is certainly more refined and has many options that the C5 didn't have (power top and nav, for example), but you won't be disappointed with a C5.

I happen to like the looks of the C6 quite a bit more.

The C5 had a lot more room, though. The C6 is a little cramped for my 6'2" frame.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Scales

At first it was difficult for my eye to accept the headlights. In some paint colors, in the profile view, appeared to have niches cut from the front fenders.

However, early this year I became accepting of the whole business. (Old farts are slow to warm to anything new.) I've only driven the C6 once and that was in daylight--agree, never got the seat set quite right (I'm two inches shorter than Tom); however, when passing a C6 on the highway, there's no doubt -- that guy has better lighting than do I.

-- PJ

Reply to
PJ

As far as looks go I like the C5 better mainly because I can't stand the headlights. The difference in performance/handling is not that great except for the Z06- now that is one hell of a machine.

Reply to
Jon

The problem with GM is that they have no imagination when it comes to the sale of performance cars..The original Z1 looked exactly like the regular Vette. It was different and was wider but did NOT look any different to the ordinary person.

And again they do not capitalize on the performance look bit. The C5..C6 look the same to me..I really still cant see the difference in appearance if any.. To really sell these thing and make the owners proud to own one they should look the performance part. THEY DON"T...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When Ford brought out the Shelby line in the 1965 time frame and even now they look different..THEY LOOK LIKE PERFORMANCE CARS..people can tell there is a difference..

Bottom line ..GM sucks at marketing...look also at the failure of several of their cars..Pontiac for one ..also too many others to mention. You might as well go with a C5 for looks...for a real performance car get a Shelby GT

500.!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply to
Wolfman

Let me guess. You drive a Mustang.

If you can't tell the difference between a C5 and C6, I'd strongly suggest an optometrist. You know, little things like the headlights not being hidden are a bit of a give away.

The Mustang has always looked exactly like what it is. A shortened four door sedan. The original 64 was and the current model is just a 2 door Lincoln LS without the IRS.

Nice cars, but GTs at best, not sports cars.

Reply to
Tom Scales

You have to admit that he's right, without the go faster strips he is unable to find a performance car. Of course you have to add the obligatory menacing emblems so the blind can identify them. The blind being those that don't recognize that the thread is about C5 and C6 Corvettes and has nothing to do with a Z1, what ever that is, or Ford. Or if you can't find the emblems maybe the obnoxious spoiler to keep the pickup differential planted firmly on plowed ground would help to identify the true performance built into this legendary machine.

All the posts he makes from his borrowed computer are loaded with venom, Cobra like, and hate. Wouldn't you hate to live with that much hate in your life?

Reply to
Dad

*/++++++++++++++++ About the spoiler: IIRC Road and Track was curious what effect the spoiler had. So, they removed it. Only significant change: top speed increased by 3 mph.

Marketing they got, engineering...not really. Nice personal car.

-- PJ

Reply to
PJ

Bottom line is you continue to make moronic statments. Please tell your wife to turn off the computer when she leaves with the 'vette.

Reply to
Bob I

Wife? You think he's married? I pegged him for 13 years old :)

Reply to
Tom Scales

the c6 corvette is a rip off, they took the styling from the much better viper and molded it into the ''new'' corvette.im not a dodge guy and im not sticking up for them . im a ford guy and i own a mustang a 69 boss 429. and i raced thoes c5 and new c6 vettes and they couldent touch me. but all im sayin is that lately chevy has been duplicating other vehicles. for ex. the chev hhr looks alot like the pt-cruiser, the vette and viper look alike and now the sierra looks like the ford f-250.and yes chevy is bad at marketing since day one.

Reply to
peacocks_47

Ya right, that would be why ford is number 2, and GM is considering buying chrysler? Vette looking like a viper, see your optometrist immediately, 'cause you're obviously blind. If you passed a 'vette it was because they didn't know you were racing. You really are living in a dream world.

Reply to
Bob I

Don't feed the trolls. His 69 couldn't pass the Cadillac CTS-V, let alone a C5 or C6. He's a TROLL.

Reply to
Tom Scales

Or he's really stoopid, heck a '57 Corvette would smoke that boat anchor he claims to drive.

Reply to
Bob I

well actually a 57 vette probably couldent touch my 429 witch has almost 800hp by now thanks to all my ford racing goodies.and i have seen my optometrist and i have good enough vision to see the cars in close detail. and no chev is not even thinking about buying chrysler(your the one in the dream world), if they did that would mean the end of the top three companies and chrysler would probably never see a nice vehicle leave there factories ever again.oh and my car is far from a boat anchor.and yes thoes vettes knew i was racin them after all it was at the drag strip. a cts-v? youv got to be kiddin me .....i dont think so.i get those thing stuck in my grill when i fly past them, along with a few chevells, chargers, etc.... (and no i dont mean literally stuck in my grill), and lastly corvettes are over-priced, under-dressed, and if their not taken care of they fall apart at the seems.

Reply to
peacocks_47