Install O/S mirror on 63 early?

I see that the correct mirror ( longbase)is specific to my 63E. Does the interior door panel need to be removed to install a mirror correctly or is
it done externally? The driver side has been replaced with a generic mirror.I am considering replacing it and doing a new install on passenger side for better vision in traffic. Is there a specific mounting bolt/screw spacing that the replacement hardware would need to match up to the generic? If so what would that spacing (on center) be, or where could I find that info. Thanx- lib

Yes, the door needs to have the interior removed and a new reinforcing plate put under the right side mirror. Location should match the left side as right side was not factory, although there may be some dimensional instructions out there I don't know of them. http://www.riksvet.com/ Site will show you the required plate and the early long base looks as if you could use it on both sides. For $60 a pop I'll never have more than one. ;-))
You got some pictures of your efforts for us yet?
--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Easy. All you need is a photo hosting spot and then put the links here.
For example, you can go to tinypic.com and upload pictures free and put the links here. The first one gives you the tinypic page and the second one gives you one the picture.
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=4q84m4k&s=1
http://i3.tinypic.com/4q84m4k.jpg

One added note, if you change the drivers side mirror it should already have a backer plate with holes threaded in it which will save you removing the interior. Rik's have been a good outfit to work with and ship quickly.
Put you photos up on http://photobucket.com/ and attach the link, like this.
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n241/fr1939/082607005.jpg
Tip, put a space in front of the link so a reply won't kill it's function.
I posted fotos of project today at Photoworks. It was successful, in my opinion. Check it out at; http://www.photoworks.com/util/xferSession.jsp ;jsessionidA64E4A5C95D2193B4321693F550E237?returnUrl=%2Fmembers%2Findex.jsp&sessionData=%7Btoh%3D%22m%22%2Ckey%3D%22Frankeez_Fotoz%22%7D&cb=PW&svr=web12

Project on car worked, but previous link I posted didn't. Link that works (hopefully): http://www.photoworks.com/members/index.jsp ;jsessionidV21EDC8E80B34BAADBC836228062865?showNSF=true&cb=PW&key=Frankeez_Fotoz&toh=m&svr=web27

Link appears to work best when pasted into browser address- lib

First link worked fine, great looking job on the mechanicals and I can see why you didn't redo the body, looks great. Ride back will be something to remember for a long time, pictures won't tell that story nearly as well.
I appreciate the response, Dad. The entire project and driving the car back home were an enjoyable event. Now, if I could just get the rings to seat..... lib

Great photos. Looks like you did a lot of work to return it to driving. I know we have all heard you on here asking for help constantly, but it looks like it was well worth it, especially from the look on that last picture.
http://www.photoworks.com/servlet/GetThumb ;jsessionid9503F84A486A4D0C143DEA1B26BE2D?462608217,300x400,0,0,null&cb=PW&guest=true&key=Frankeez_Fotoz&toh=m&svr=web4

I'm glad you enjoyed the photos. If it hadn't been for all the knowledge and ideas that the members of this group shared with me, my trusty shop manual, and a very mechanically talented friend of mine, the results probably wouldn't have been as successful. I appreciate the patience and understanding that the majority of members allowed me. I felt at times some people might doubt if I even had a car, as it went on for so long. You are right about that last photo. I've sent in a print order of various sizes of that shot and plan to frame a print for my son and myself. It truly pictures a moment in a great run together and will always generate a smile in me when I see it- lib