Keeping it .....

Now that I have it, I am wondering how up tight I should be about being able to protect it from the bad guys. My C6 has all the stock techno deterrents, but I am wondering if I should be looking to anything else.

My home/storage is good, so I am mainly concerned about is those times when I am on the road and having to park my coupe in a motel parking lot or on a city street.

What works?

Thanks, brian

Reply to
Old & in the way....

deterrents,

Luck, and don't be stupid, travel where there are lots of nice cars with nice people. Don't leave anything in it you can't/don't want to lose. I've been lucky enough to live in a rural setting most of my life and have had very little trouble. I pick where I park and try to be a little inconspicuous and never ever take up more than my parking space.

Within a week of getting the C6 I came out of a store to see a jacked up black pickup park on the right side of me, nearly empty lot and I'm in the middle. The broad falls out of the thing hitting the top of my passenger door with her door. Yep, nice door ding in the paint about 2 inches down from the glass. Got in and left, it's still there and I've still not had to explain why they shouldn't revoke my CCW. Bad situations are best left at that level.

When it comes right down to it people pay little or no attention to what you're driving. Those that know what it is appreciate it and leave it alone for the most part.

Dad

Reply to
Dad

Anytime you have it serviced, anywhere, record who had it and if they had the key. A guy on Corvette Forum in Miami just had one stolen and they drove off with it, so it is figured the guy had access to the key somewhere along.

If you are in a major metro area or travel to them, check on LoJack. It really works. However, some PDs are apparently reluctant with it. This you need to know before spending the bucks.

Alarm. A good old silent paging alarm that lets you know someone is in it or attempting is good. Then 911. The temptation is to pull the 9 mm or .45 and save the world some trouble, but that just makes a lot for you. Although, I think Florida recently passed a law letting you protect your property in an armed fashion.

If you have the alarm, maybe you can wire in a remote kill along with (or instead of) the remote start that so many have. This way if it does start at night and the guy is driving away, you can kill the car while dialing

911. Really be a bad day for him if he is trying to restart it a block away when the red lights show up.

Insure it. If they want it, there is nothing you can do. Rollback and it is gone.

What is really needed is a personal GPS that can answer to a call and report the location. Then you can call your car, let it tell you where it is, and make a few people have a bad day when the boys in blue show up.

Reply to
Tom in Missouri

YES....Florida has a new law in 2006 that allows you to shoot ( KILL )..any one that you feel is a threat to your life.....they do not have to armed..you can have a hand gun at home ..you do need a carry permit if you want to have a concealed hand gun on your person. Garage sales/flea markets here often sell guns to anyone...I bought a beautiful AK-47 at a garage sale also a WWII Luger ( $150 ).....so watch your a** if you screw around with Fl residents...and yes you can carry a hand gun in your car ( with some restrictions )..and these Rednecks are fast to react ...!

Reply to
Vette Guy

All good suggestions, especially the GPS/cell set up. I have insurance, Low Jack and whatever Chevy puts stock into the new Vette for an alarm. I have always been careful with any car or truck that I have had when parking or servicing, but......... there are times when I have to walk away from it in a unfamiliar area (especially when traveling) to eat or sleep. During these times the risk is highest and I am thinking an obvious mechanical devise, such as a club or shifter lock might be good.

What do you think of such lo tech, high visibility, things? What is available and where can they be found? Any experiences with good or bad locks?

Thanks, brian

Reply to
Old & in the way....

San Diego competes annually as the U.S. car theft capital. We've got good talent on all sides of the issue--thieves, cops, alarm salesmen etc. Fortunately 4WD is the big target but, in 35 years I've been thrice ripped off. One beetle, one truck & a 911 (Alpine alarm). 911 was from the front of the house during a Sunday afternoon pool party. Neighbor called as it was hauled away on a white flatbed with a fictitious garage name on the side of the cab.

All had passive alarms, the truck had a 'club' on the wheel. We got the beetle and the truck back after they were used to haul illegal aliens. The Club had cheese-whiz forced into the lock! Buddy's Crossfire with lo-jac vanished from the gated corporate garage. He also had a silent alarm that was linked to a beeper on his belt--he heard nothing. We get a theft insurance discount for VATS on the 'vettes and for OnStar but my insurance guy says that OnStar can be defeated with a roll of aluminum foil.

If they want it, they will take it. Do the right stuff, lock it, enjoy it but don't fall in love with it. Sensible works -- "up-tight" doesn't work. Always carry cab fare. Enjoy the C6 and remember to wave -- even at C4s.

-- PJ '89 Hookercar '02 e-blu 6-spd

Reply to
PJ

On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 15:15:11 GMT, "Vette Guy" puked:

It's a good deterrent to keep the bad guys guessing...

lab~rat >:-)

I had only one taken (in SD), a one month old '65 396 Vette. And it was taken from the dealer's lot during a service appt.

All good advise PJ, thanks. But too late, I've already fallen in love.............

brian who does the wave.

Reply to
Old & in the way....

Leave an empty pistol holster on the passenger seat. Keep then wondering...

Reply to
Charlie

Idiot proof EVERYTHING. Park in the lone stall, go to the other end of the parking lot,park in loading docks. By all means stay away from everyone. Use your imagination and common sense otherwise you'll wind up with a beat up piece of junk.

deterrents,

Reply to
Jeff

good insurance policy...

no pun intended

Reply to
'Key

law doesn't apply in his situation. if they are attempting to steal his car when he is NOT in it ? they are NOT threatening his life.

Reply to
'Key

the club is a joke and most locks are a joke too...

Reply to
'Key

I'm wondering how many years will have to go by before people get off the case of C4 owners. I don't understand that kind of elitism. They even call ZR-1s bass boats. Sheesh.

AJM '93 Ruby coupe, 6 sp

Reply to
CardsFan

"'Key" wrote

Ya mean that I'll have to sleep in the thing?

brian

Reply to
Old & in the way....

about 10 more years when those c-4's are worth the big bucks :-)

my2¢

Reply to
'Key

if you want to shoot them legally :-) I was serious about having good insurance.... I have been in the locksmith security business for the past

24 years and I can tell you for a fact, that NOTHING is really safe these days.

g'day brian

Reply to
'Key

"'Key" wrote ...........................

You know, I never figgured that the world would work out this way (I'm 60). It was suposed to be paradise by now, but that dream is quickly book'in a ride out of town.....

And so I am cynical, very cautious. I understand all that you guys have said, both about the technology and its limits and about how I have to relate to the actual situation as it developes around the car.

Thanks guys, Brian

Reply to
Old & in the way....

Sheesh.

sure .... that's easy for you say

kickstart

79 C-3
Reply to
Kickstart

you're welcome Brian. the world is also not how I envisioned it.

Reply to
'Key