key stuck in ignition

1989 Corvette has the key stuck in the ignition. I can start the car but can't turn off. I had to diconect the ground wire on the battery. The key will not go to the off position and I can't get the key out of
the ignition. Before I take it to the dealer any coments? Thanks Chuck
CHUCK wrote:

the key won't turnn all the way to the off position. Mine does that sometimes and I just rock the shifter a little, the button comes up, and the key then will go all the way to the off position. This started AFTER I took it to a dealer to adjust the linkage cable.
Hope the solution is that easy for you.
Chris
Asumming you have an automatic, jiggling the gear shifter will allow you to remove the key and make the button on top of the shifter pop up..
I did that and when I did I can hear and see the button go up to release but the key won't move back. Chuck

"on " position. The cylinder would move forward toward the "start" position but not rearward to "off" or "accessory". It's an auto trans car, but no amount of fiddling with the shifter made any difference. I couldn't shut the doggoned engine off until I disconnected the battery. After I replaced the ignition switch cylinder, the problem was cured.
klutz wrote:

lock button doesn't come all the way up and found that I can turn the ignition switch off, but it won't go to Lock so I can get the key out. Sounds like your problem might be more like Klutz'.
Chris

Chuck, Take it to your local auto locksmith. It appears that you're ignition has malfunctioned. you have a side-bar type ignition. chances are, the retainer (that's crimped down into place) has let go. the retainer holds down the wafers and springs inside your ignition lock. when it lets go, it will not let the ignition turn to the off-locked position/ a locksmith can r&r it and repair it without replacing the ignition. the dealer will want to replace the ignition or call their locksmith out to repair it.
my2
--
"Key" / locksmith for 25+ years

'Key wrote:

bill. If in doubt, call a couple of dealers and request a recommendation for a locksmith.
--
PJ
89 HookerCar, 02 E-blu 6-spd Coupe

yea they sure will outsource it. I can't count the lock jobs we have done, and are still doing, for the dealers over the years.
g'day all
--
"Key"

Lock cylinder had gone bad. I had this same problem not too long ago with my C4.
CHUCK wrote:

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler

$ 500.00 ???? now that's a rip off.... $50 ignition and one hour min labor. I you would have taken it to a lockshop ? It would have cost ya $ 125.00 to $150.00 tops to repair the one ya had.
g'day
--
"Key"

Remember when I got mine done, they charged me $300 and went joy riding and banged up the front. Then denied it, even with the little chips of paint lying on the ground in front of the car in their lot..... <rolls eyes>
That's what I get for being lazy and not doing it myself....
'Key wrote:

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler