leasing new corvette - help

Hi I'm interested in leasing a new Corvette. My past 3 cars have been more expensive European luxury cars that I leased (one twice as costly as the Corvette). I'm 25 years old, have good income of $200k, and perfect credit. I'm not having much luck with dealers and had some questions...

I went to the largest Chevy dealer in town and they refused to let me get in the car or test drive it. The salesman's boss came out and said without running my credit and reviewing my 2006 tax returns, I was wasting their time because they didn't think I had any money. Then they asked me to leave. Well I was humiliated and insulted so I left. I felt horrible; completely insulted.

The second dealership I went to also refused to let me test drive the car until I let them run my credit. So I let them and they saw I had good credit. Then they said that unless I agreed to buy the car on the spot, I couldn't test drive it. Again the salesman's boss came out and said he didn't want to put miles on the car because it's Chevy's premier make, and if I wouldn't say yes to buying it I couldn't test drive it. Well how the heck to you buy a car without test driving it first. He also told me that MSRPs on Corvettes are not negotiable and you must pay what the dealer asks. No matter how much I asked he said I couldn't drive the car because I didn't want to buy it and because he didn't want the car crashed because he said I was an "inexperienced driver". He told me I can test drive a used one but not a new one.

Advise please....

Reply to
carshopper2102

In order for me to give you advice or a good answer, I'll need to check your credit and see your 2006 tax returns. :)

Reply to
labtech1

On 10 Mar 2007 19:38:03 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote something wonderfully witty:

Someone who is able to make 200k a year @ 25 should be able to figure this one out.

Reply to
ZombyWoof

On or about 10 Mar 2007 19:38:03 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote or did cause to be written:

First of all you don't sound like a 25 year old who makes 200K. You sound like an immature kid who wants whine. But maybe I'm just getting crotchety in my old age and don't realize that all kids whine today.

So taking you at your word, how dumb are you to be leasing with that kind of income? Leasing is good for two classes of people, those with corporations that can write it off as a business expense and those who don't have enough money to afford the payments on a nice car. You say you've leased 3 cars already and you're 25. Unless you defaulted on those leases that means you had some very short leases which would be even more expensive. And somehow you don't sound like the corporate mogul type who understands the tax advantages.

Wouldn't let you even sit in it? That should have been a clue that the dealer saw something in you that doesn't match your description in the first paragraph here. The dealer should have looked at your suit and the polish on your shoes and known you had money. He could have seen you weren't going to get grease from the fryer on his seats. I have NEVER been asked for a credit check and certainly not a tax return. But if I were I would not feel horrible or insulted. I'd just know the dealer was a moron.

I'll get to the test drive in a minute.

If you had done your homework you would know that the current spot price on Corvettes is about $6K less than MSRP. Yes, small dealers only get a couple of them and are willing to wait until some ignorant local has to make an impulse buy or the kid at the MickyD's decides he might be able to get a loan to make the lease payments on one...

So no to the test drive. Most people who buy a new Corvette (or any car for that matter) want one with VERY low miles. Since most dealers have a limited number of them, they can't let any kid from the hood come in and thrash one. They keep lots of Impalas and can afford to let one be the demo but a small dealer may only get 2 Corvettes a year. BIg dealers with lots of inventory will have one reserved for test drives but not small dealers.

But the dealer made you an offer to test drive a used one. That isn't good enough for you? These are mass produced cars and there won't be much driving difference between a 2005 and a 2007.

Now if you had really leased expensive cars and if you made $200K/year what is your problem? At this price point you should know it will be a great car. And if you bought it instead of leased it and you found out next month that you don't like it, then you can sell it and it will only cost you a weeks pay. It's not like a mistake would cost a year of saying "Ya' want fries with that?"

Get a life and stop wasting our time with your fantasies, kid!

Hope you enjoyed your trolling.

Dale

2007 Silver Coupe
Reply to
Dale

Based entirely on the information you provided. The Sherlock Holmes answer is:

You are sh> Hi I'm interested in leasing a new Corvette. My past 3 cars have been

Reply to
Bob I

Giving the benefit of the doubt to everyone. First off, assuming you are from Vegas.... Vegas Corvette dealers are vulnerable to all kinds of voyeurists, particularly on weekends...understandably stand-offish without knowing you are a local:

  1. Second, nose wiping: Wear shoes appropriate to your income--first item to check when assessing a gent's resources. Wear shoes that won't tear up car carpeting & no denim trou with rivets. If in doubt, ask any bouncer or pit-boss for advice on apparel.
  2. Getting into a car you're not familiar with for a test drive is a bit of a waste. Vegas is loaded with 'vette rental outfits who have good mid-week deals for locals. Call around and rent a C5 -- '03 or '04 -- best $$ you'll have spent in ages. Get it from Monday thru Thursday for about 2/3 of the weekend price--pay a bit extra for unliminted mileage and get an out-of-state endorsement to cross over into California.
  3. Take the week off. Regular gas is OK leaving Vegas up to Fallon after that you'll want to have mostly premium in the tank. Drive Vegas to Ely via 318 (you are driving the reverse of the Silverstate unlimited road-race course--heavily patrolled this time of year so don't get carried away with speed here--just enjoy the feel of the car through the esses.) Visit a Chevy dealer in Ely. Then, Rte 50 to Reno via Fallon--visit a Fallon dealer ('vettes are popular with TopGun instructors... & some students too). Over to Reno -- visit Harrah's auto museum--some nice early 'vettes. Down thru Carson City... cross over into California on 395. Twisting uphill two-lane to about
6000ft-- enjoy. South of Bridgeport, take 167 to Hawthorne, then head for Tonopah and open it up on 95 back to Vegas.
  1. Enter Nye County. South of Beatty, have dinner -- burger and a beer -- at one of the Brothel/restaurants (pick one with garish neon--west side of 95 ... gleam of the neon off the finish on the 'vette looks nice!) south of Beatty -- no time for the ladies. Back to home.
  2. Now you're ready to test drive a C6. Drive the C5 to a dealer and make an appointment to drive a C6 the following week. Turn the C5 in to the rental agency. Wear your good shoes!

(8-)

-- PJ

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
PJ

Ah shucks, you're no fun, you've done this before.

Reply to
Dad

If you are as great as you claim why are you so stupid as to be looking for a Corvette....you should do better and give some thought to a GT-40 or a Shelby GT-500.or of course a Ferrari....get a real car not just a Vette that almost any suburban mid life crisis yuppie can buy..I live in a small Florida town and we have about 70 Vettes in the local club..so you see it is just another toy for the masses.

You may be a big money earner but obviously have no street smarts ...when I grew up my father would go into a Cadillac dealer ship wearing farmers coveralls and with $10-15k cash in his pocket......obviously you have a big income, great credit but not a freakin cent to your name...( my father was a professional bowler and always carried $5-10 grand with him..was he worried about being robbed .no...after all who would rob some guy dressed like a out of work tramp.)

And you would be shocked at now fast people deal when they see a few grand on the table in cash .! I am in real estate and I deal with airline pilots,CEOs and others ..but when it comes to 10% down on a home these guys don't have any up front money,none,nothing..every cent is in credit....I think that is one of your obviously many problems. ( besides being stupid ).

Reply to
Wolfman

Nah, I run it clockwise, trailing throttle is more 'fun' through the esses.

Reply to
PJ

At least you don't have to deal with prop wash.

Reply to
Dad

Would you mind divulging the name? I'll send you a correct e-mail address if so. What years was he a PBA member? Promise the name will go no further. Just curious if I might have run into him.

AJM '93 Ruby coupe, 6 sp (both tops)

Reply to
CardsFan

Worked my way up from second section wing. Lots of tiny rudder corrections.

Clean air is always nicer. And, as with sled dogs, the view is better!

Reply to
PJ

Why do I get the feeling you work for the IRS ?? I know I wouldn't divulge it to some stranger on the net.

Reply to
gimme abreak

The only taxes I care about are my own. Anyone with minimal Google savvy can find out who I am in about 15 minutes, and 5 minutes after that they can be looking at my house from space. I've bowled in tournaments for 30 years now. If his dad's been around the midwest there's a reasonable chance we've crossed paths, maybe even competed against each other. That's all.

Sheesh.

AJM

Reply to
CardsFan

:>Interesting, how did you get that to show up in a binary group?

You mean in a non-binary group? And to answer your question, there is no inherent software on usenet to filter out binaries in non appropriate groups. Some news servers will strip binaries from non-binary groups before you ever see them. IMHO posting binaries in non-binary groups should be actionable since repeated offences often forces news servers to drop the groups due to over loaded bandwidth usage.

:>

:> CardsFan wrote: :>

:>

:>

:> my father was a professional bowler :> :>

:>

:>Would you mind divulging the name? I'll send you a correct e-mail address :>if so. What years was he a PBA member? Promise the name will go no :>further. Just curious if I might have run into him. :>

:>AJM :>'93 Ruby coupe, 6 sp (both tops) :>

:>

:>

Reply to
Sarah Czepiel

Let me see if I grasp this situation correctly; you don't want to give out your name first (but if he wants to know he has to spend 15 minutes of his time, assuming he's able, to find it) but you think he should trust you and give you what you want to know without any effort on your part. Interesting.

Reply to
gimme abreak

Let me get this straight. You show up in this newsgroup with no history and start questioning the integrity and motives of someone who's been here for years, has made no effort to hide his identity other than provide a non-spamable e-mail address, and I'm supposed to be concerned about someone spending a little more time than it takes to write your average reply to find out who I really am. And all I want to do is possibly tell him to say "Hey" to his father.

BIOYA.

Look that one up.

AJM

Reply to
CardsFan

Golly I'm impressed because you've been in a newsgroup for a while. Guess that should automatically qualify you as trustworthy without a doubt to the OP! LOL

Reply to
gimme abreak

Reply to
Charlie

I got it now. Trust is based on whether a person has stayed in a newsgroup for a while or not even tho we don't know their name or much about them .

Reply to
gimme abreak