Limited slip

Would someone mind describing what "limited slip" means, and why special differential fluid is required when servicing one? TIA
BDragon

You have heard the term PosiTraction? Well in a nutshell, limited slip allows for one tire to roll faster than the other while cornering(slip), but provide for "no slip" when one tire tries to spin under hard acceleration. GM has a special additive for the clutches in the differential that perform the "limited slip" to keep from ruining them.
BDragon wrote:

Thanks, Bob. Is limited slip then just another way of saying positraction?
I believe positraction is Ford's term and limited slip is GM's
BDragon wrote:

Nope - Positraction is GM's name for limited slip differentials. First appeared in Corvettes in '57.
Here's waving to ya - \||||
Owen ___
'67BB & '72BB
-- not affiliated with JLA forum in any way -- alt.autos.corvette is original posting -- ___
yep... Posi and Limited Slip are the same and Posi is a GM "term"
And if you don't put the PROPER additive in, when you turn a corner going slow you will hear and feel a popping sound from the clutches grabbing and releasing, instead smoothly slipping against each other.
Barking Rats wrote:

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler

We ALL have gaps! :-)
BDragon wrote:

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler
BDragon wrote:

special
positraction?
You're right. That is a good reference, and the links go to some good information, also. Thanks, Bob.